OT: TV & Movie Thread: Part II

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I could not get thru Boardwalk Empire. Currently watching the William Hurt version of Dune (don't know how it got by me). Not finding it as good as the original 1984 version though.
The Sci-Fi Channel of Messiah and Children of Dune were very good. Much better than the Dune mini-series they did.

William Hurt is no Jurgen Prochnow tho

Reactions: majordomo

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The Sci-Fi Channel of Messiah and Children of Dune were very good. Much better than the Dune mini-series they did.

William Hurt is no Jurgen Prochnow tho
Color me confused -- what is "Messiah"? I know there's a book called Dune Messiah, but I can't find any form of video media with that name.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I finally saw Dune (1984) for the first time recently. Really liked it, i'm hesitant to watch the Remake because I hate modern movies and most of what I like about the original is kind of lost in time like tears in the rain.

Reactions: leetch99

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I finally saw Dune (1984) for the first time recently. Really liked it, i'm hesitant to watch the Remake because I hate modern movies and most of what I like about the original is kind of lost in time like tears in the rain.
Having been a HUGE fan of the books (and scifi in general) and really liking the original, I was very hesitant about the new version -- especially considering what the movie makers have been doing to some of our old favorites. However, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed with the new one.

As I mentioned earlier, I just discovered there was a miniseries with William Hurt made in 2000 (with a follow-up called Children of Dune in 2003). I'm just finishing the first epsiode (there are 3). It's been "interesting" -- not as memorable as the original so far.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Got the philips HUE lights which react to whats on the screen... that's my favorite part of the whole thing

What is this and how does it work?

Dude, this Dune > that Dune AINEC. I haven't seen Part 2 yet, but this is even more of a ">" if you've read the books.

Also, recommend the mini-series if you can find them

Having been a HUGE fan of the books (and scifi in general) and really liking the original, I was very hesitant about the new version -- especially considering what the movie makers have been doing to some of our old favorites. However, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed with the new one.

As I mentioned earlier, I just discovered there was a miniseries with William Hurt made in 2000 (with a follow-up called Children of Dune in 2003). I'm just finishing the first epsiode (there are 3). It's been "interesting" -- not as memorable as the original so far.

Hah, I pretty much just posted the exact same thing without having read your post yet.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Dude, this Dune > that Dune AINEC. I haven't seen Part 2 yet, but this is even more of a ">" if you've read the books.

Also, recommend the mini-series if you can find them

yeah but i haven't read the books and don't care about the story.

I care more about the filmmaking aspects and so much of how the original looked and felt (and sounded) is right up my alley in a way that I know the new ones can't be, even though I am happy to hear they are going heavy on the practical effects

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
yeah but i haven't read the books and don't care about the story.

I care more about the filmmaking aspects and so much of how the original looked and felt (and sounded) is right up my alley in a way that I know the new ones can't be, even though I am happy to hear they are going heavy on the practical effects

Even from that perspective it’s a slam dunk. It’s visually stunning and the soundtrack is terrific. If you’re really into just the film aspects of this it’s even more imperative to put it in your queue.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Even from that perspective it’s a slam dunk. It’s visually stunning and the soundtrack is terrific. If you’re really into just the film aspects of this it’s even more imperative to put it in your queue.
alright i'll check it out, you've convinced me. But the soundtrack won't touch the original I already know that because Toto is my favorite band.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Color me confused -- what is "Messiah"? I know there's a book called Dune Messiah, but I can't find any form of video media with that name.
The Sci-Fi Channel combined the two books into one mini series and named it Children of Dune. First part is Dune Messiah, second is CoD.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
alright i'll check it out, you've convinced me. But the soundtrack won't touch the original I already know that because Toto is my favorite band.

Haha, yeah, okay. Not similar in that respect at all.

Tell you what - watch Bladerunner 2 first as that'll get you primed to this Director's style of sci-fi film making.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
As someone who also thinks post-millennial movies suck, Villeneuve is an exception. Everything he does is done with the highest quality.

Reactions: Crease

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Just finished the 2000 Dune miniseries with William Hurt -- it was "entertaining", but I expected more. Gonna watch the original tonight.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I had no idea that Paul Giamatti (Billions) was the son of former baseball commissioner Bart Giamatti.

• Wow
Reactions: Elvis P

Elvis P

WNBA fan since 1997
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Marlowe is a Philip Marlowe detective film on Prime. It stars Liam Neeson, Diane Krueger, and Jessica Lange. It's very good and if the Roman Emperors keep feeding me bread and circuses such as this, they can do whatever wish.

Although all roads lead to Rome, you can't detect me on the internet and I'm fond of that path.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad