OT: TV & Movie Suggestions

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Any fans of the anthology Fargo (the series, not the excellent film)?

Just finished season 5 and it is really something. The characters are so good and the story is wild.

Came here to post about this.

I was a massive fan of season one and two. I just couldn't get into three and four after giving them a bit of run. I was disappointed and did not think I would ever be pulled back in by that show.

Had a friend convince me that season five is must see and they couldn't be more right. Spent the weekend and absolutely blasted through it. Felt exactly how I felt watching some of those early seasons.

Great story, awesome characters, and just overall, a wild ass ride.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Thanks for the heads up @sipowicz, that's what I was going to watch tonight, so I'll find something else...:thumbu:
Finally watched Leave The World Behind. I like "end of the world" type movies, but not this one. Some of the tidbits about the impending doom were interesting, but Julia Roberts swear count (which pretty much matches my sisters when I have a conversation with her) was enough for me to lose interest (same with talking to my sister). Should have watched something else... When are the Jets back?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Came here to post about this.

I was a massive fan of season one and two. I just couldn't get into three and four after giving them a bit of run. I was disappointed and did not think I would ever be pulled back in by that show.

Had a friend convince me that season five is must see and they couldn't be more right. Spent the weekend and absolutely blasted through it. Felt exactly how I felt watching some of those early seasons.

Great story, awesome characters, and just overall, a wild ass ride.
I just watched the last episode a couple of hours ago.
Great series.
Watched Paddle to the Amazon and re-watched Quest for the Bay yesterday. Both were very good.

Reactions: Mooche
Nov 24, 2006
Finally watched Leave The World Behind. I like "end of the world" type movies, but not this one. Some of the tidbits about the impending doom were interesting, but Julia Roberts swear count (which pretty much matches my sisters when I have a conversation with her) was enough for me to lose interest (same with talking to my sister). Should have watched something else... When are the Jets back?
I too thought this was a total dud.

Reactions: macmaroon

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Watching this right now with only 2 episodes to go and its pretty good, different role for Sofia that's for sure.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just finished Happy Valley Season 2 and that was really well done. Can’t access season 3 on Prime TV yet which sucks.

Happy Valley is intense but one of my favorite series in a while.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Just finished Happy Valley Season 2 and that was really well done. Can’t access season 3 on Prime TV yet which sucks.

Be happy you did not watch the first two seasons live back in 2014, and endured 7 years between S2 and S3.

The time delay between seasons was intentional as writer Wainwright wanted there to be a seven-year time difference so that the actor playing Ryan Cawood (Rhys Connah) could grow up and play an equally significant role in season 3.

When we watched Season 3 I did not know that Ryan was the same actor, and thought what an amazing job they did casting his replacement to play a grown up Ryan, lol.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Be happy you did not watch the first two seasons live back in 2014, and endured 7 years between S2 and S3.

The time delay between seasons was intentional as writer Wainwright wanted there to be a seven-year time difference so that the actor playing Ryan Cawood (Rhys Connah) could grow up and play an equally significant role in season 3.

When we watched Season 3 I did not know that Ryan was the same actor, and thought what an amazing job they did casting his replacement to play a grown up Ryan, lol.

I haven’t seen it yet but boy does that make sense as a story line. Crazy that they had the patience to wait for 7 years. Really cool they use the same actor for that role to.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg

Firestick and Syncler+. You can thank me later.

Reactions: ps241

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Really enjoying the Irish series "Kin" which began in 2021. Story of a present day Dublin family tied up in a gangland war.

Bumping this as I’m now into the second season. Really, really good. Very intense. Not for the squeamish.

Reactions: ps241

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I haven’t seen it yet but boy does that make sense as a story line. Crazy that they had the patience to wait for 7 years. Really cool they use the same actor for that role to.
And so much could happen in a 7 year period.

What if the child actor decided he didn’t want to act anymore, or a main character was not available for life reasons.

For the most part everyone looks the same as season 2.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And so much could happen in a 7 year period.

What if the child actor decided he didn’t want to act anymore, or a main character was not available for life reasons.

For the most part everyone looks the same as season 2.

Honestly, I enjoy most of the characters in the series but Catherine Cawood‘s character is so well written and Sarah Lancashire’s puts on a master class In acting to bring the best out of the character.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Some quick nods to shows from TV I recommend from recent viewing...

Masters of the Air... started a bit slow in character development and the background to the story lagged comparing to say Band of Brothers... but was a real treat ultimately bringing to life the daytime bombing missions of the U.S. air crews in WW2... Apple TV+ …

3 Body Problem... a Sci-Fi story based from a mainland Chinese author, Liu Cixin's best selling book, the first of a trilogy called The Remembrance of Earth's Past... there are two versions... I watched the North American funded and produced version on Netflix... the storyline straddles the beginning of the Chinese Communist Cultural Revolution (that in itself is another story Westerner's should learn to understand) and today's recent times and so called technological wonders & so called culture... from it self discovery, a change in perspectives in one's shallow views and discovery of what is possible in the individual come to the fore...

Halo... another Sci-Fi story... if you don't know where this comes from, you are hiding under a rock or don't have a computer or a cellphone... based on an iconic Video Game... because of it's origins I was
a bit dubious on engaging myself, but gave it a try... if you liked the Reacher series from Amazon Prime, you will like Halo.. a storyline much like the old movie serials made into modern theme's aka Raiders of the Lost Ark; that sort of style, this is for you... there is a little bit of today's cultural bludgeoning that gets placed like a product into the plot, but not overriding so it doesn't screw up the plot lines and overall good feel to the storyline and experience... Paramount+ ...

And finally, this amazingly well done expose on How an 18th Century Sailing Warship Works...

Inspired me to re-watch one of my favorite movie's Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.... if you never have sailed or thought about sailing oceans, never mind what it took to circumnavigate this Earth hundred's of years ago... you will understand a lot more after watching the YouTube video and then watching Master and Commander... just a brief look into history but worth the pause...

I wish you all a peaceful Easter and never fear... In hoc signo vinces...

Last edited:

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Master and Commander is also my favourite movie. So underrated and a shame there was never a sequel.

Reactions: John Agar

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Some quick nods to shows from TV I recommend from recent viewing...

Masters of the Air... started a bit slow in character development and the background to the story lagged comparing to say Band of Brothers... but was a real treat ultimately bringing to life the daytime bombing missions of the U.S. air crews in WW2... Apple TV+ …

3 Body Problem... a Sci-Fi story based from a mainland Chinese author, Liu Cixin's best selling book, the first of a trilogy called The Remembrance of Earth's Past... there are two versions... I watched the North American funded and produced version on Netflix... the storyline straddles the beginning of the Chinese Communist Cultural Revolution (that in itself is another story Westerner's should learn to understand) and today's recent times and so called technological wonders & so called culture... from it self discovery, a change in perspectives in one's shallow views and discovery of what is possible in the individual come to the fore...

Halo... another Sci-Fi story... if you don't know where this comes from, you are hiding under a rock or don't have a computer or a cellphone... based on an iconic Video Game... because of it's origins I was
a bit dubious on engaging myself, but gave it a try... if you liked the Reacher series from Amazon Prime, you will like Halo.. a storyline much like the old movie serials made into modern theme's aka Raiders of the Lost Ark; that sort of style, this is for you... there is a little bit of today's cultural bludgeoning that gets placed like a product into the plot, but not overriding so it doesn't screw up the plot lines and overall good feel to the storyline and experience... Paramount+ ...

And finally, this amazingly well done expose on How an 18th Century Sailing Warship Works...

Inspired me to re-watch one of my favorite movie's Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.... if you never have sailed or thought about sailing oceans, never mind what it took to circumnavigate this Earth hundred's of years ago... you will understand a lot more after watching the YouTube video and then watching Master and Commander... just a brief look into history but worth the pause...

I wish you all a peaceful Easter and never fear... In hoc signo vinces...

Master and Commander is also my favourite movie. So underrated and a shame there was never a sequel.

I loved Master and Commander and it is one of the Movie’s I would kill for a sequel but now and then it’s ok if they leave you wanting more I guess.

Just caught up on Shogun on FX and I am enjoying it.

Reactions: jungles

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I loved Master and Commander and it is one of the Movie’s I would kill for a sequel but now and then it’s ok if they leave you wanting more I guess.

Ahhhh... Konnichiwa, ps241 San ...

Just watched the last aired episode of Shogun...

James Clavell's book adapted to the screen... the original Mini-series was lame...

But this re-invented Mini-series is brilliant... the Japanese screenplay, cinematography and real understanding of what art is a refreshing return to compelling and enjoyable entertainment compared to most offerings these days...

Hontoni arigato gozaimasu...

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

Shogun is probably my favourite series on TV at the moment. Really good acting and a cool representation of Japanese culture.

Not really into anything else at the moment. Half-heartedly watching The Gentlemen on Netflix...it's okay.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ahhhh... Konnichiwa, ps241 San ...

Just watched the last aired episode of Shogun...

James Clavell's book adapted to the screen... the original Mini-series was lame...

But this re-invented Mini-series is brilliant... the Japanese screenplay, cinematography and real understanding of what art is a refreshing return to compelling and enjoyable entertainment compared to most offerings these days...

Hontoni arigato gozaimasu...
Anything starring Toshiro Mifune is worth watching, though (even 1941). He was such a fantastic actor. He and Akira Kurosawa had arguably the finest Actor - Director collaboration in cinema history.

I remember watching and liking the original Shogun when it aired but I was 6 so possibly I was just digging the samurai stuff. It was quite a TV event when it first aired, up there with Roots. I've been meaning to watch this re-make, glad to hear somepositive reaction to it.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Anything starring Toshiro Mifune is worth watching, though (even 1941). He was such a fantastic actor. He and Akira Kurosawa had arguably the finest Actor - Director collaboration in cinema history.

I remember watching and liking the original Shogun when it aired but I was 6 so possibly I was just digging the samurai stuff. It was quite a TV event when it first aired, up there with Roots. I've been meaning to watch this re-make, glad to hear somepositive reaction to it.
Just watched the first episode last night after the game. It's very well done.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Shogun is probably my favourite series on TV at the moment. Really good acting and a cool representation of Japanese culture.

Not really into anything else at the moment. Half-heartedly watching The Gentlemen on Netflix...it's okay.
Just caught up with Shogun tonight. I'd loved the book, but couldn't remember much after all these years. Everything about the series is first rate and, as a an added benefit, it provides an excellent option for those unable to endure the shame of a first-round playoff defeat. (seppuku). :sarcasm:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Just caught up with Shogun tonight. I'd loved the book, but couldn't remember much after all these years. Everything about the series is first rate and, as a an added benefit, it provides an excellent option for those unable to endure the shame of a first-round playoff defeat. (seppuku). :sarcasm:
I'm also all caught up today. Excellent series... but if we get eliminated in the first round, I'd like to stick to sudoku instead of seppuku pls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad