Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
And that's fine. I was just responding specifically to his "where was he during last year's stretch run" comment. I found it laughable given that at the end of last year, Rask was literally playing some of the best hockey of his career.

What part of the season was that kick in the ass given to Rask? I'll wait. It took him tapping out of a game down the stretch and Dobby playing well for him to respond. No one has said he sucks. Skill wise he's extremely talented. But I question and rightfully so question how he can handle this market going forward. He's not the same goalie as he was a few years ago. He makes 7 million dollars a year. Yes that has to be part of the equation going forward. I completely understand he gives up soft goals and hey everyone does it. However, he is making 7 million dollars a year and is supposedly a top goalie so he needs to be judged different than say Dobby or any other fringe goalie in the league. Who would I rather have? Well Martin Jones would be one, who I wanted to keep over Tukka. Tukka Rask is one of the highest paid players at his position in the league. You need to show consistency. He really has none.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
What part of the season was that kick in the ass given to Rask? I'll wait. It took him tapping out of a game down the stretch and Dobby playing well for him to respond. No one has said he sucks. Skill wise he's extremely talented. But I question and rightfully so question how he can handle this market going forward. He's not the same goalie as he was a few years ago. He makes 7 million dollars a year. Yes that has to be part of the equation going forward. I completely understand he gives up soft goals and hey everyone does it. However, he is making 7 million dollars a year and is supposedly a top goalie so he needs to be judged different than say Dobby or any other fringe goalie in the league. Who would I rather have? Well Martin Jones would be one, who I wanted to keep over Tukka. Tukka Rask is one of the highest paid players at his position in the league. You need to show consistency. He really has none.

Move the goalposts a little more why don't you?

You claimed he was only good at the start of the year and sucked down the stretch last year. I proved you wrong beyond any possible argument. You can't even admit that. Shocker.

And about your beloved Martin Jones.....I always love these comments. Nevermind that his GAA, save %, shutouts, etc. All worse than Rask's last season.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

You reference 7M dollars a year. Why is this such an important point? Okay. Hypothetically, let's remove Rask from the equation and gain 7M dollars. It's not like you're getting 7M dollars to go pay for an impact player. You still need to pay a goalie. Starting goalies in the NHL make 4M+. If you want a good one, you're looking at 5.5-6M+. The top 10 highest paid goalies in the league are:

1.) Lundqvist
2.) Bobrovsky
3.) Rinne
4.) Rask
5.) Price
6.) Holtby
7.) Crawford
8.) Varlamov
9.) Lehtonen
10.)Quick (cheapest at 5.8M)

I'm sorry but this notion the goalie is overpaid is, for one, a complete joke. He's paid right with his peers. Also, if you remove Rask from the equation and want to be competitive, 4-6M+ of that is going to the new starter. If that's the case, you freed up anywhere from 1-2.5M~ on a roster player. Is that getting you a legitimate upgrade at a position of need?

So my point is that removing TR40 from the equation is not landing the team an impact player at another position. If you don't have a good goalie, you will not compete, and you're not getting a good goalie for pennies.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I hope so. Rask seems to need to have that chip on his shoulder to be better. Would you say he's complacent as a player? Too comfortable?

I don`t think so, last year he wasn`t pushed by anyone and he performed well but I do believe competition at all positions is healthy, and Butch plays who`s playing well so we`ll see if this pushes Tuukka even more I believe

Reactions: Hamilton Brian

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
SAN JOSE, Calif. — Tuukka Rask remains the Bruins’ franchise netminder. His playing dossier and salary cap number ($7 million a year) say it’s so. That is not about to change any time soon.
But Rask, healthy and ready and willing, will be the backup Saturday while the undefeated Anton Khudobin will suit up for a second straight game — fresh off his 2-1 win Thursday night in Los Angeles.
If you think there’s a controversy here, cool it, because even the suddenly displaced Rask understands the move at a time when the Bruins are trying to gain their sea legs in the turbulent waters of their 2017-18 season. Khudobin is getting the job done, and the Bruins aren’t in a position to deny him the chance to keep doing it.
“Absolutely, I would have done the same thing if I was the coach,” noted Rask, who watched Khudobin’s tidy, 27-save effort in LA that extended his record to 4-0-2. “He played a heckuva game and his results have been there. I haven’t been able to get wins in the past few starts, so it’s understandable.”

Anton Khudobin earned start Saturday for Bruins - The Boston Globe

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
SAN JOSE, Calif. — Tuukka Rask remains the Bruins’ franchise netminder. His playing dossier and salary cap number ($7 million a year) say it’s so. That is not about to change any time soon.
But Rask, healthy and ready and willing, will be the backup Saturday while the undefeated Anton Khudobin will suit up for a second straight game — fresh off his 2-1 win Thursday night in Los Angeles.
If you think there’s a controversy here, cool it, because even the suddenly displaced Rask understands the move at a time when the Bruins are trying to gain their sea legs in the turbulent waters of their 2017-18 season. Khudobin is getting the job done, and the Bruins aren’t in a position to deny him the chance to keep doing it.
“Absolutely, I would have done the same thing if I was the coach,” noted Rask, who watched Khudobin’s tidy, 27-save effort in LA that extended his record to 4-0-2. “He played a heckuva game and his results have been there. I haven’t been able to get wins in the past few starts, so it’s understandable.”

Excellent post.

The description of Dobby's game against LA is noteworthy. To the writer it was tidy. To Tuukka it was a heckuva game. I don't recall a game where Khudobin was so in control of rebounds, so square to the shooter even after going side to side. Finding the puck through traffic. Looks like he's really zoned in right now (hope it lasts a little longer).

Reactions: Dr Hook

BigBadBears

Jun 13, 2014
Tuukka will carry this team soon again.

Nope. This team will never win a cup with tuukka in net. He is solid on shots from the outside but that's about it. As soon he's forced to move he is just lost. Just the opposite of Tim Thomas.

The time to move on was when he was an RFA.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Seeing as Dobby has the same team in front of him as Rask, can one of the apologists explain why he is doing better?

Confidence. Khudobin is doing things he normally is bad at (positioning) well.

That point blank stop he made on the cross ice pass middle of the first is one he doesn't make last year. I was a lacrosse goalie in HS albiet a bad one but I remember what it was like when I was hot and playing well for a couple games the game slowed down a bit and I saw the ball way better.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006

or... I would have done the same thing. I still make 7 mil regardless if I ride bench or play nets.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
team should have kept Subban

Dobby and Subban style are good for this team. Not RAsk

trade him while you still can

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nope. This team will never win a cup with tuukka in net. He is solid on shots from the outside but that's about it. As soon he's forced to move he is just lost. Just the opposite of Tim Thomas.

The time to move on was when he was an RFA.

Yes, the Bruins really should of moved on from Rask the summer of 2013 when he was an RFA. Who cares that he just helped them get 2 wins away from a Cup. :shakehead

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Rask will use this extra rest and motivation to his advantage. He is still world class and we will see the best of him soon.

why do you need a backup to motivate/challenge you....why??

he gets paid 10 more times than Dobby... If he is world class, self start

He is mentally fragile

On a strong team, i think he goes with the flow

This team needs a battler like Dobby. Right now , this is what this team needs.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Dobby has played great this season, and proving that he is more than a capable back-up and that the Bruins should play him more, but this is a top 5 brutal take.

Of course Rask fans come out to make excuses

look at his save percentage...its AHL level

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Of course Rask fans come out to make excuses

look at his save percentage...its AHL level

And? Dobby, at the beginning of last season, looked ECHL quality. Just saying, could there be a coincidence that Krejci back into the lineup helped a lot up front? It's not just the goalie here. The forward core, and defense also play a big part in the games.

Unfortunately for you, Rask isn't going anywhere. The Bruins are a rational organization and don't act on emotions like fans would. Rask is a great goalie. He will return to his usual self because he's too talented to not to. This is a good thing. Khudobin proving to be reliable as a back-up. I'd continue to ride the hot hand as well. There's no excuses here though. Your Rask takes are embarrassing. Fact, not opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
And? Dobby, at the beginning of last season, looked ECHL quality. Just saying, could there be a coincidence that Krejci back into the lineup helped a lot up front? It's not just the goalie here. The forward core, and defense also play a big part in the games.

Unfortunately for you, Rask isn't going anywhere. The Bruins are a rational organization and don't act on emotions like fans would. Rask is a great goalie. He will return to his usual self because he's too talented to not to. This is a good thing. Khudobin proving to be reliable as a back-up. I'd continue to ride the hot hand as well. There's no excuses here though. Your Rask takes are embarrassing. Fact, not opinion.

Give it up man...its been what 3 years now of substandard performance?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Give it up man...its been what 3 years now of substandard performance?

Are we counting this year? Is this season already in the books? Don't answer that...I'm not allowing you to use this season, since it's not even remotely close to being over yet. So you said "3 years now of substandard performance"? This'll be fun!:

2014-2015: 70 GP (34-21-13) -- 2.30 GAA -- .922 SV%
2015-2016: 64 GP (31-22-8) -- 2.56 GAA -- .915 SV%
2016-2017: 65 GP (37-20-5) -- 2.23 GAA -- .915 SV%

What is "substandard" about any of this? Do you do any research before spewing nonsensical hottakes? Michael Felger, is that you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad