News Article: Turris Lagesson to waivers

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Not surprised on Lagesson. He hasnt shown alot.

Kinda surprised on Turris but also not really surprised. I think he was better than some this preseason (and the team seemed to be hyping him a bit) but I dont think the coaching staff trusts him defensively and I dont think he provides enough offensive. Doesnt really fill a role. They also know hes not going to get claimed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Surprised that Turris got waived TBH. I thought that he did enough to make the opening roster albeit his cap hit is the highest of the potential 4th line options.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
They probably waived him now than later so he is more buried in the list of waived players. Sounds like he might be staying up with the main club anyways.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Benson and McLeod didn't tear it up in the pre-season but I think the Oilers have concluded that they aren't going to get any better in the AHL so for now at least they are going to get more of a chance with the big club.

Turris exceeded expectations but that 1.65M cap hit is fairly heavy for a 4th line winger/center?

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Honestly I’m really surprised at Lagesson.

LD who was coming into his own last year as a shutdown Dman.

would much rather have him in a bottom pair/7th Dman role than Russell. At least Lagesson has a chance to improve.

not liking how our left side looks after Nurse. We need some prospects to step in there in the coming seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: ani

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

would much rather have him in a bottom pair/7th Dman role than Russell. At least Lagesson has a chance to improve.

not liking how our left side looks after Nurse. We need some prospects to step in their in the coming seasons.

I think Koekkoek is quite a bit better than Lagesson so I dont think hes in the top 6.

Lagesson vs Russell debate. I dont know but I'm not surprised that the coaches went with Russell instead. Hes a vet and they will know what they will get out of him everynight. I think the problem with Russell is that I'm not sure how much he really has left. Hes been getting hurt more frequently and I think hes starting to break down but I think hes a guy whos good as a #7 with less playtime. Going with Lagesson whos younger, might be the better move but I dont think hes going to get claimed anyway. He will be a call up at some point with injuries I would imagine.

Reactions: 3IR

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

not liking how our left side looks after Nurse. We need some prospects to step in their in the coming seasons.
Russell is way better than lagesson

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Surprised that Turris got waived TBH. I thought that he did enough to make the opening roster albeit his cap hit is the highest of the potential 4th line options.

With Turris contract probably the thinking is nobody will claim him and its just the numbers game. I don't think he's done a lot, but he's had better jump and looked actually involved this preseason. I think some of Turris looking better though could be illusion through the club having better depth that he's playing with. All of the vets obtained have looked better than Turris and have produced. Actually Foegele hasn't produced much but he's looked like a very good flies on rice type player.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

I think it's probably a pretty decent bet that nobody claims Turris given that he makes $1.65M. There are/will be better forwards, or forwards with more upside on waivers who make less money so those players would get claimed before Turris. Gambling on claiming a $1.65M forward who's relatively small and soft to play in the bottom 6 isn't a bet that most GMs are going to make, even though Turris has had a decent preseason.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Has nothing to do with balls.

Has to do with maximizing the LTIR they can get.

I'm not too well versed on the LTIR rules (and I think some others aren't either)

Please explain how waiving Turris now maximizes the LTIR room--thanks.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I like Lags as a #7 long term, but Russel has more to offer for the season if needed.

I was really hoping that Lagesson would come in, show well in the preseason and claim the left side 3rd pairing spot. He hasn't really done much though and Koekkoek looks like a better choice to start the year. Hopefully Lags clears waivers, goes down to the Condors and can improve his game. He's running out of runway to make the big team though with Broberg and Samorukov on the way. He needs to take a step this year and graduate to the NHL or I doubt the Oilers re-sign him next summer, unless they're happy just having him in Bakersfield but I would think he would prefer an opportunity elsewhere.

Reactions: Patch101

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Turris makes 1.65 million. The team is seeing if there are any takers. With that price tag I doubt it. There are players available that are his equivalent and carry a lesser cap hit.

Last edited:

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
With Turris contract probably the thinking is nobody will claim him and its just the numbers game. I don't think he's done a lot, but he's had better jump and looked actually involved this preseason. I think some of Turris looking better though could be illusion through the club having better depth that he's playing with. All of the vets obtained have looked better than Turris and have produced. Actually Foegele hasn't produced much but he's looked like a very good flies on rice type player.

Not towards you, but I can't wait until we don't even have these words to type that many times. That is when we have a contender.

We will replace these words with things that are solid. "Is", "Looks like", etc

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
I'm not too well versed on the LTIR rules (and I think some others aren't either)

Please explain how waiving Turris now maximizes the LTIR room--thanks.

Teams have two options to maximize cap space with LTIR:

1) Get as close to the cap as possible to start the season, put the players on LTIR on day one and have that much space to use throughout the season for other players.

2) Get as close to the cap plus your LTIR value to start the season. This is less desirable as it limits your LTIR relief IIRC.

The Oilers are attempting to use option 1) which requires waiving Turris's $1.6M for now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not towards you, but I can't wait until we don't even have these words to type that many times. That is when we have a contender.

We will replace these words with things that are solid. "Is", "Looks like", etc

I feel like I'm back in English 30 and failing now. hehe

What is past perfect participle?

Hell if I know.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad