SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
cartmankyle.jpg

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Turris a baws

I think he was just home sick and misses NHL hockey.

Plus he knows that Ottawa is turning into Team Sweden, and if there's one thing Swedes do, it's rip on Finland. He's just trying to be a good team player here guys.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
All these NHLers complaining about other leagues is priceless.

Maybe time to realize how ****ing good you have it in the NHL and end the god damned lockout.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
sounds as bad as binghamton

now we all know that's not possible
:sarcasm:

but seriously, six hour bus rides in a foreign country with people you don't know doesn't sound very fun. having to do that repeatedly would be a negative for most people.

i don't think he's complaining about playing video games too much, i think he's half joking there. he's looking at his stint in finland as temporary, and he's itching to go back home, so he just has restless energy on top of whatever his normal routine of wanting to go out, and is probably is a little bored.

having a truck stop pre-game meal would be really weird to someone that plays in a league that has nutritionists setting up your meal plans for you. he's probably commenting on the difference between the seriousness of player nutrition here and there.

no biggy from turris. some things may have been taken out of context, and he could have chosen his words better.

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
So it seems that the article has been taken down from the site.. And Turris is upset about the ruckus it caused, according to the Finnish media.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I think you guys are being slightly rude here towards that Fin guy, and as much as Im rooting for Turris when he gets back, I think his comments were rude too. We rip on our prospects who say anything negative about Bingo, and as true as they may be, the point is these guys are professionals. Bloody well act like.

But then again Im from Sudbury, and this whole argument is hitting waaay to close to home :laugh:

I could endlessly go on about the options of fun things I usually have to do on the weekend here. But it would be really, really hard to convince someone from "the big city" that its not so bad up here and that its the same as living down in Toronto or Ottawa in terms of "cool things to do". And trust me, Ive tried.. That argument would be 50 times weaker if there was only sunlight for 4 hours a day. Luckily, thats only in Finland ;)

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I think you guys are being slightly rude here towards that Fin guy, and as much as Im rooting for Turris when he gets back, I think his comments were rude too. We rip on our prospects who say anything negative about Bingo, and as true as they may be, the point is these guys are professionals. Bloody well act like.

But then again Im from Sudbury, and this whole argument is hitting waaay to close to home :laugh:

I could endlessly go on about the options of fun things I usually have to do on the weekend here. But it would be really, really hard to convince someone from "the big city" that its not so bad up here and that its the same as living down in Toronto or Ottawa in terms of "cool things to do". And trust me, Ive tried.. That argument would be 50 times weaker if there was only sunlight for 4 hours a day. Luckily, thats only in Finland ;)

but with only four hours of sunlight, they have a really long night, so partying all night long just got better!

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
As someone who has lived in Sweden most of you dont realize how depressing it really is. For example, he has a game next day he has a day off. He wakes up at 12 out the door at 1...tada 1 hour of sunlight. Quite depressing.

As someone who has also lived in the Czech Republic. Most of you have no idea what it is like to be in a place where you cant communicate with anyone. All of you act so tough and say he is a whining brat because of Pheonix but you know what? What have you done that is similar? Probably for 95 percent of you nothing. He had the balls do move to a foreign country in which they don't speak English as a first language and has played well and you now begin to criticize him because he hates to sit on buses and eat junk food.

Learn to empathize and place yourself in others shoes before you post some crap because some god know who reporter decided to write about hockey.

Get real.

cydas

Jun 15, 2012
The claim that we get 4 hours of sunlight here is bollocks. Most days during the wintertime you cant see the sun at all during the few hours when it's not dark because the sky is entirely covered by clouds.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So it seems that the article has been taken down from the site.. And Turris is upset about the ruckus it caused, according to the Finnish media.

I can see why.

He was candid about his experience, he didn't say Finnish people were bad or that Finland sucked but that he had a hard time there for all sorts of reason.

And now people on the internet are acting like he did something reprehensible. A pox on all the haters!

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
In all fairness Turris seems to have some good points. Now, maybe a bit honest but really being stuck inside, eating **** food and not being able to communicate with many people would be a frustrating experience for just about anyone.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
As someone who has lived in Sweden most of you dont realize how depressing it really is. For example, he has a game next day he has a day off. He wakes up at 12 out the door at 1...tada 1 hour of sunlight. Quite depressing.

As someone who has also lived in the Czech Republic. Most of you have no idea what it is like to be in a place where you cant communicate with anyone. All of you act so tough and say he is a whining brat because of Pheonix but you know what? What have you done that is similar? Probably for 95 percent of you nothing. He had the balls do move to a foreign country in which they don't speak English as a first language and has played well and you now begin to criticize him because he hates to sit on buses and eat junk food.

Learn to empathize and place yourself in others shoes before you post some crap because some god know who reporter decided to write about hockey.

Get real.

Yep, he played video games, ate snikers bars sat on a bus for while and played hockey, sounds like it was quiet the foreign experience.

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
but with only four hours of sunlight, they have a really long night, so partying all night long just got better!

Partying in Finland = drinking as fast as you can as much as you can before you pass out.

Summers in Finland are great though. In Oulu (145,000 inhabitants) you get 4 hours of twilight, otherwise it's daylight for 20 hours.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/W...lishes+month/7705795/story.html#axzz2FPhvm5E1

I wrote about this on the Senator players playing elsewhere thread but here's it again.

Welcome to Northern Finland where you have nothing to do and to a club that is the farthest away from everything and has the longest travel times by far of all the clubs in the FEL. A club in Helsinki area (1,5 million people in Helsinki Metropolitan area) could've been better (Jokerit, HIFK, Blues), there's something to do in Helsinki and the traveling ain't that bad. :D

Some pointers. Movies are not dubbed, they're subtitled so if it's not a children's movie, all Hollywood movies are in English (all foreign films are in their native tongue). And nearly all adult Finns (except for elderly people) understand and speak English. And there's more than ABC truck stop awfulness and pizzerias in Finland but maybe not in Oulu. :laugh:

Oulu is 160 kilometers (100 miles) south of Arctic Circle.

http://www.eapr2011.com/travel-information/about-oulu/oulu-in-a-nutshell.html

It seems the Kärpät team mates didn't interact with Turris much?

But compared to NHL, you can't expect that level of treatment from the clubs (KHL and the Swiss League are maybe the exceptions) in the FEL when the whole League's budget is about the same as one average NHL team's budget.

http://www.suomikiekko.com/2012/12/turris-jarkyttynyt-aiheutuneesta-kohusta-vastine-tulossa/

As Loscar wrote above, Turris has been shocked by the commotion his interview has stirred. Kärpät's GM Harri Aho was surprised by the article and has talked with Turris. Turris is going to make a statement on Kärpät website later. http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/

http://www.iltalehti.fi/smliiga/2012121816467543_sm.shtml

This article is about Kärpät's head coach Hannu Aravirta ( http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85706 ). It states Aravirta was surprised about Kyle's comments because when he was in Finland, all was well.

As a Finn and a person who follows SM-liiga, I really don't like Kärpät [Ermines or Weasels in English]. I hope they lose as much as possible. ;)

20121012+K_rp_t+-+HIFK+10.jpg

Kyle Turris vs. Stéphane Robidas.

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
We have to remember also that Turris said the experience was a good one according to The Province's article above.

"It’s much more of a puck-control game but the competition was very good,†said Turris, who agreed to a five-year, $17.5 million US contract extension before the lockout.

“It was great for staying in game shape and staying sharp. If the NHL started now, I’d be much more ready and I hope to have a leg up on the other guys who didn’t go over to Europe. I’ll remember how much fun the hockey was and the experience of adapting to different food and lifestyle.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad