Tuomo Ruutu Vs. Eric Staal - Who will have the better career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Here is how i've come to know both players. It could be off, but there isn't a person here who has a definitive answer about this question because there are too many variables.

Tuomo Ruutu = Bobby Holik with a far greater offensive ceiling. If Holik had the offensive skills to play at a point per game level, then we'd have Tuomo Ruutu. That's my personal favorite as far as comparison goes. Aside from similarities in style, they have similar aspects to their history as well. Holik went #10 in 1989, Ruutu went #9 in 2001. Holik scored 43 points in his debut year, Ruutu scored 44 points. Those are fairly coincidental, but the way Ruutu uses his body and attacks reminds me a lot of Holik, especially in his prime days as a Devil. Similar frame as well.

Eric Staal = Mike Modano spliced with Joe Thornton. That's lofty praise, but taking the big names out of the equation and you'll understand the comparison more. I'm not saying that Staal will ever produce like those players, but his style lends itself well to those two together. A lot of people aren't projecting his frame as well as they should. Staal added 20 pounds of muscle over the lockout and he's going to play an entirelly differant game once Laviolette gets ahold of him again. You're going to see a Thornton-esque type approach to scoring that should benefit him well. What Staal lacks in the brute strength that Thornton has, he makes up for in his skating stride and that's where the Mike Modano comparison starts. His speed and awareness are right up there with a young Modano, as he commands attention from the opposing team at such a young age.

That's just how I see the situation.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Tuomo Ruutu = Bobby Holik with a far greater offensive ceiling. If Holik had the offensive skills to play at a point per game level, then we'd have Tuomo Ruutu. That's my personal favorite as far as comparison goes. Aside from similarities in style, they have similar aspects to their history as well. Holik went #10 in 1989, Ruutu went #9 in 2001. Holik scored 43 points in his debut year, Ruutu scored 44 points. Those are fairly coincidental, but the way Ruutu uses his body and attacks reminds me a lot of Holik, especially in his prime days as a Devil. Similar frame as well.

But if Holik could put up a point a game he wouldn`t be Bobby Holik ;)

As far as comparisons go, I really can`t think of any nhler I`ve seen that Ruutu really reminds me of. Some say Forsberg, but I don`t see it because Ruutu hits way more than Forsberg did. The only player I can think of right now is Lindros in his prime, someone who loved to hit and had great offensive skills to go along with it.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Chelios said:

:biglaugh: I thought the same thing.

Ive always had trouble comparing Ruutu to other players as well because he is a fairly unique player IMO.

He is much more skilled than Holik.
Not as skilled as Forsberg yet much more physical.
Maybe as skilled as Lindros but not as huge, nor is he a crybaby. Tuomo is already a great leader.

For those reasons and for nostalgia sake Id like to think of him as a poor mans Bobby Hull or Cam Neely. Pure never quit tenacity, hits, fights, about average sized but still physically dominant, team leaders, 2nd tier elite skills. Hopefully his career lasts longer than Neely's did with his style, but hey they were both picked 9th :D

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Oh, come on guys! Work with me here. You're taking the comparison too literally. What i'm trying to say is that Ruutu plays a Holik style game while scoring more points than Holik. Somehow I think you guys knew that. ;)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Chelios said:

As far as comparisons go, I really can`t think of any nhler I`ve seen that Ruutu really reminds me of. Some say Forsberg, but I don`t see it because Ruutu hits way more than Forsberg did. The only player I can think of right now is Lindros in his prime, someone who loved to hit and had great offensive skills to go along with it.
The Ruuttu/Forsberg comparisons are way off. They're different types of players. Ruuttu doesn't have the hands, vision or sense of a Forsberg. Comparisons to Lindros are also faulty. Only injuries kept Lindros from multiple 50-goal/100-point seasons. Lindros was a two-time all-star centre. If those are your comparisons, you're going to be disappointed. Ruuttu will put up first line winger type numbers, while providing tough, physical play and not hurting his team defensively.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
salty justice said:
Maybe as skilled as Lindros but not as huge, nor is he a crybaby. Tuomo is already a great leader.

So you think Forsberg is more skilled than Lindros? Lindros is one of the most skilled players our generation has ever had the ability to watch on ice.

People forget how much skill that man has.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Oh, come on guys! Work with me here. You're taking the comparison too literally. What i'm trying to say is that Ruutu plays a Holik style game while scoring more points than Holik. Somehow I think you guys knew that. ;)

What I mean is that he really plays nothing like Holik. Even aside from the obvious difference in offence, Ruutu hits way more than Holik and is a better skater.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
The Ruuttu/Forsberg comparisons are way off. They're different types of players. Ruuttu doesn't have the hands, vision or sense of a Forsberg. Comparisons to Lindros are also faulty. Only injuries kept Lindros from multiple 50-goal/100-point seasons. Lindros was a two-time all-star centre. If those are your comparisons, you're going to be disappointed. Ruuttu will put up first line winger type numbers, while providing tough, physical play and not hurting his team defensively.

Something tells me that you have seen very little of Ruutu. I`m not trying to disregard your statement, you have some fair points but it just seems to me you haven`t seen enough of Ruutu. Ruutu is much better offensively than most people (especially those who haven`t seen enough of him) give him credit for. Most who have seen little of Ruutu assume because of the way he plays that he is simply a physical player (dare I say Bobby Holik ;) ) with some offensive upside. The fact is that when given an opportunity in the second half of last season he scored 21 goals! I mean think about it, that is 42 goals (which would have led the league) over a full season and this was not only his rookie season but also his first in North America. Now I`m not saying that Ruutu is definately as skilled as Forsberg or Lindros in their prime, but he certainly isn`t as far off as you make it seem.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
salty justice said:
:biglaugh: I thought the same thing.

Ive always had trouble comparing Ruutu to other players as well because he is a fairly unique player IMO.

For those reasons and for nostalgia sake Id like to think of him as a poor mans Bobby Hull or Cam Neely. Pure never quit tenacity, hits, fights, about average sized but still physically dominant, team leaders, 2nd tier elite skills. Hopefully his career lasts longer than Neely's did with his style, but hey they were both picked 9th :D

As skilled as Lindros? I'm sorry, but NO! Lindros is one of the most skilled players ever, and one of the most dominate players ever when he was in his prime. If Tuomo can even come close to Lindros in his prime I'll say he'll be the best player in the league in his prime.

Chelios said:
Now I`m not saying that Ruutu is definately as skilled as Forsberg or Lindros in their prime, but he certainly isn`t as far off as you make it seem.

Oh trust me he is. Tuomo is VERY skilled. If Lindros had stayed healthy he would have been considered a top 5 player ever. No player with his size, and strength have been blessed with his skills.

Watch the man in his prime and you'll change your decision.

Team Dandenault

Sep 11, 2003
Visit site
bleedgreen said:
from watching staal ive liked the comparison of ron francis stuck in modano's body. he tends to wait for teamates instead of making moves, and usually makes the right play - a lot like ronnie. he reminds people of modo in body, but plays a francis game.

I like the comparison to Modano, the once to Francis is too easy. Hats off. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I think the best comparison to Tuomo is Wendel Clark, someone who works his *** off every night, leads the team both with goals & hits, isn't the biggest guy on the ice but plays much bigger.

Clark was a good & regular fighter as well, unfortunately Tuomo's brother stole his fighting genes :) (though Tuomo will fight reasonably well when he wants to).

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:
Oh trust me he is. Tuomo is VERY skilled. If Lindros had stayed healthy he would have been considered a top 5 player ever. No player with his size, and strength have been blessed with his skills.

Watch the man in his prime and you'll change your decision.

I watched Lindros in his prime and I know how good he was, and I also know he would never be mentioned in the same breathe as Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Richard, Lemieux etc... I`ve watched both them play quite a bit and the skill difference between the two isn`t huge. Ruutu doesn`t have the size of Lindros, and I don`t think he will ever be able to dominate the way Lindros did, but his skill set is not far off.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Pepper said:
I think the best comparison to Tuomo is Wendel Clark, someone who works his *** off every night, leads the team both with goals & hits, isn't the biggest guy on the ice but plays much bigger.

Clark was a good & regular fighter as well, unfortunately Tuomo's brother stole his fighting genes :) (though Tuomo will fight reasonably well when he wants to).

Yes yes, Wendel Clark, Cam Neely - that type of players comes to my mind when thinking comparisons to Tuomo. Lots of hustle, tenacity, leadership, goals and board rattling hits. Kind of a throwback player, the one who gets the team and fans going every night. Here's to hoping his body can keep up with his fire.

Personally I always thought Tuomo would establish himself eventually in the NHL as a more of a playmaking center than a sniper winger, but we'll see.

Haven't seen Staal enough to say who will have the better career but I think at least Tuomo has an excellent chance to become something greater than just another winger with first line numbers.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
sandels said:
That's fair enough, but may I ask you why is that?

I dunno, Ruutu has a odd style.. I just like how Staal plays..

I can't really decide who's better, but I'd personally take Staal.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
C'mon, Russian....'If Lindros stayed healthy'????? If I had a Million dollars....
Suffice it to say Ruutu & Staal are both very good players.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Chelios said:
What I mean is that he really plays nothing like Holik. Even aside from the obvious difference in offence, Ruutu hits way more than Holik and is a better skater.

Earlier in his career when Holik was still trying to establish himself, he used to hit quite a bit more than he does now. The Bobby Holik of the past four or five seasons isn't the one i'm making the comparison to.

I can agree to disagree here, but to me Holik and Ruutu play a very similar style and that's not an insult to Ruutu, because Holik with more offensive skill is probably a top 20 player in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad