Confirmed with Link: Tuomisto signs 2 year ELC

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
He won an NCAA championship and is one of the top young D in the Finnish league. Not signing him would be dumb. He either makes it or heads home. Literally zero downside to the signing.
"one of the top young D in the Finnish league" sounds good but there were literally 0 first round D prospects in Liiga this past season. Only 2 D prospects who were drafted in 2nd round (Tuomisto and Heimosalmi).

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Eemil Viro last season for TPS, 52 games, 3+4= 7 points, 17:05min (4th-5th most) ice-time.

Antti Tuomisto this season for TPS, 60 games, 5+15= 20 points, 20:03min (2nd most) ice-time.
Had Team-highest Ice-time (21:26min) at the playoff qualifiers, and scored 0+2 in 3 games.

Tuomisto's 10 power-play points was Team-high vs. any TPS forward. Also those 2 extra playoff quali points were on PP.
I don't think the offense matters much with this guy. He won't be a PP option in the NHL.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I’m not mad about this signing. At worst he’s minor league depth in a position of weakness.

Has his skating gotten noticeably better this year or does he still have heavy boots?

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think the offense matters much with this guy. He won't be a PP option in the NHL.
Pretty sure he was originally drafted with the thought he would provide offense.

You also don't need to be an all-star or skate like Paul Coffey to receive an NHL contract. Right-handed defensemen are always in super short supply. Has anyone watched him in Liiga this season?
Didn't like the pick when it happened, but have not really paid attention to him much the last few years. Honestly thought he was done with us. If they want to send him to GR, whatever. Maybe he has improved.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Pretty sure he was originally drafted with the thought he would provide offense.

Didn't like the pick when it happened, but have not really paid attention to him much the last few years. Honestly thought he was done with us. If they want to send him to GR, whatever. Maybe he has improved.
I wasn't necessarily expecting an NHL contract, but I can see the sense in it. More than anything, he needed to get stronger over all. His skating issues were far more about overall strength and explosiveness than any technical defects. That was going to take time any way you slice it (although never a given). His play with the puck never held him back even though he wasn't elite with it. Maybe I just don't see an NHL contract as that big of an achievement.

It is really hard to assess him as a prospect without actually watching him play (which I haven't since he left DU). I would love to hear what the TPS diehards have to say about his actual play this season (i.e. something other than his counting stats).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'll see him as the Lindström replacement. 3rd pair at maximum. Big guy Yzerman likes to hoard on his teams.

6'5 has more reach than 6'2 and has more tools to defend.

Don't see him at PP at all, but one booming shot once in a while instead of a weak shot will create some chaos and offence.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I'll see him as the Lindström replacement. 3rd pair at maximum. Big guy Yzerman likes to hoard on his teams.

Don't see him at PP at all, but one booming shot once in a while instead of a weak shot will create some chaos and offence.
Lindstrom scored his this year AND last year!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

How much has his skating improved?

One of the things that I noticed a lot at DU was a difficulty in pivoting when defending and skating backwards. Times when a guy is skating by him on his right and Tuomisto pivoted left and allowed a player to blow by him.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
How much has his skating improved?

One of the things that I noticed a lot at DU was a difficulty in pivoting when defending and skating backwards. Times when a guy is skating by him on his right and Tuomisto pivoted left and allowed a player to blow by him.
That's not skating, that's IQ.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
If there's even a hint of truth to that, that's good news, despite how often people disparaged E.
No doubt. He was a servicable D-man for years as a dead last pick his draft year.

I'm not as worried about Tuo's skating as I was his slow decision making. He has the physical tools to offset lackluster skating. He needs to be able to make much quicker plays or he'll get mugged by faster skaters.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Or he’s more comfortable making that pivot because he’s a bad skater.
It is an imbalance in leg strength. Players do it to push off of their dominate leg coming out of the pivot. I can't say I have seen him do it any more than most college players, but explosiveness is THE issue with his skating (or at least was when I last watched him)

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
It is an imbalance in leg strength. Players do it to push off of their dominate leg coming out of the pivot. I can't say I have seen him do it any more than most college players, but explosiveness is THE issue with his skating (or at least was when I last watched him)
Yeah I think this too, I think it'll keep him out of the league honestly. He's pretty slow and looks robotic. Hope the best, idk why people get mad over small signings... lol.

Gonna draft some college kids, etc, nothing to get mad about that 50-contract limit. Most these guys end up like Libor Sulak, etc. Sulak btw made a good career overseas' even though he couldn't hang here, is actually a captain over in Russia. IDK if people remember that name from 4/5 years ago.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Hmm.. have hard time to see 6'5 explosive skaters....

• Wow
Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hmm.. have hard time to see 6'5 explosive skaters....
? Really? They're everywhere in the NHL. Look around.

At least more than Touto here... Not saying 6'4-6'6 players move like McDavid.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Eemil Viro last season for TPS, 52 games, 3+4= 7 points, 17:05min (4th-5th most) ice-time.

Antti Tuomisto this season for TPS, 60 games, 5+15= 20 points, 20:03min (2nd most) ice-time.
Had Team-highest Ice-time (21:26min) at the playoff qualifiers, and scored 0+2 in 3 games.

Tuomisto's 10 power-play points was Team-high vs. any TPS forward. Also those 2 extra playoff quali points were on PP.
Eemil Viro last season 19 years old

Antti Tuomisto this season 22 years old.

I guess that wasn't important in your little stat comparison but it matters.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
2 of the Top5 Europeans at Calder race are Finnish league products at the moment.

FEL Matias Maccelli (0.75 points per game, 39 total points in 52 games)
FEL Juuso Pärssinen (0.55 points per game, 23 points in 42 games)
KHL Kirill Marchenko (0.46 points per game, 21 points in 46 games)
SHL Jonathan Berggren (0.43 points per game, 23 points in 53 games)
DEL JJ Peterka (0.41 points per game, 26 points in 64 games)

Both guys have been at TPS junior system, which especially has been the best for skating development. Kind of what Tuomisto needed.
Hmm and how many of those "amazing" finnish prospects are defensemen?
THN just released its annual Future Watch issue. Out of their top 100 ranked prospects guess how many are playing in Finland right now.
Time is up 2. 2 out of 100.
Joakim Kemell who is a winger ( I am a fan of him)
Topi Niemela ranked 100 a defensemen.

As for the Calder race it has been pretty much over for a long time with Matty Beniers leading almost all season. Maccelli is 10 points back. The only one that could challenge Beniers at this point is MacTavish.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hmm and how many of those "amazing" finnish prospects are defensemen?
THN just released its annual Future Watch issue. Out of their top 100 ranked prospects guess how many are playing in Finland right now.
Time is up 2. 2 out of 100.
Joakim Kemell who is a winger ( I am a fan of him)
Topi Niemela ranked 100 a defensemen.

As for the Calder race it has been pretty much over for a long time with Matty Beniers leading almost all season. Maccelli is 10 points back. The only one that could challenge Beniers at this point is MacTavish.

So you had really nothing to reply.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
? Really? They're everywhere in the NHL. Look around.

At least more than Touto here... Not saying 6'4-6'6 players move like McDavid.
There are truly explosive big guys in the league (Wood and Wilson come to mind) but few would describe them as "quick" at least in relation to smaller players. The cadence of big guys make even the best of them look slower in general. The good news about being 6'5" however, is that you don't have as far to skate to the puck or the man. The downside is that you still need to have the feet to defend transition and consistently make really good reads.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Eemil Viro last season 19 years old

Antti Tuomisto this season 22 years old.

I guess that wasn't important in your little stat comparison but it matters.
Did this dude sleep with your girl or something? Why the animosity over signing a 2nd round pick? If he has made improvements, then all the better. Let's see if he can come back over and put something together in GR. He's a high 2nd round pick, I'd rather those not go straight to the scrap heap.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Did this dude sleep with your girl or something? Why the animosity over signing a 2nd round pick? If he has made improvements, then all the better. Let's see if he can come back over and put something together in GR. He's a high 2nd round pick, I'd rather those not go straight to the scrap heap.
There is no animosity at all. I am just calling it like I see it and he shouldn't have been offered a contract. He also should have never been a high 2nd round pick it, he has done nothing to show that he should have been drafted that high.
If he was short and played the left side I doubt hr would have been given the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad