News Article: TSN: Young Stars shine brightest in TSN’s Core 4 U-24 ranking (Sabres Ranked 3rd)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
TSN came out with their annual "Core 4" ranking of a team's "Core" players under 24. Dallas finished first, then Detroit, then the Sabres. We incidentally have the most players ranked as A or B NHL'ers under 24 (11) and we have the most points and the second most goals this season by players under 24 (Devils have the most goals).

1671142283798.png

Reactions: Intermission

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still not sure how they arrived at the differentiation of players to have some guys as B's and some guys as A's. For example, Wyatt Johnston is an A, JJ and Quinn are B's. Johnston is a year younger and had a great junior season before graduating to the Stars, yet Peterka and Quinn did their number on the AHL last year. There are others that seem too low - Hischier, Spencer Knight, even Liljegren as a "C" - and then there are guys who seem to just be randomly assigned a grade. It's... odd.

But that's the point of subjective rankings I suppose - it generates conversation.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Still not sure how they arrived at the differentiation of players to have some guys as B's and some guys as A's. For example, Wyatt Johnston is an A, JJ and Quinn are B's. Johnston is a year younger and had a great junior season before graduating to the Stars, yet Peterka and Quinn did their number on the AHL last year. There are others that seem too low - Hischier, Spencer Knight, even Liljegren as a "C" - and then there are guys who seem to just be randomly assigned a grade. It's... odd.

But that's the point of subjective rankings I suppose - it generates conversation.

Well, Craig Button is the sole person who did the evaluations, so take that for what it's worth. Still interesting to read I suppose. Not sure how I rank Button compared to Pronman or Wheeler - they are ranked "C" on my list.

Also, note that Rosen is not on the list which is odd.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Well, Craig Button is the sole person who did the evaluations, so take that for what it's worth. Still interesting to read I suppose. Not sure how I rank Button compared to Pronman or Wheeler - they are ranked "C" on my list.
I personally put Pronman and Wheeler over Button. The further removed Button is from his NHL front office days, the more he seems to say outlandish stuff for clicks/headlines.

And if you can put Pronman's personal biases (favors skill above all else) in perspective, I find him pretty informative.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
That site is smoking the funny shit if they think Heiskanen is on the same tier as Dahlin

and based on this year, Dahlin is on the same overall tier as Makar

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
That site is smoking the funny shit if they think Heiskanen is on the same tier as Dahlin

If they're not on the same tier, there isn't much separating them.

Hesikanen is better in his own zone....Dahlin is better offensively. But they're both elite-level and both should have their fair share of Norris nominations when all is said and done.

Wouldn't shock me if each win a Norris at some point too.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Hesikanen is better in his own zone....Dahlin is better offensively. But they're both elite-level and both should have their fair share of Norris nominations when all is said and done.

Dahlin should have bene rated AAA

Power as a AA is a bit questionable. Not sure he's shown quite enough for a AA vs an A

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I personally put Pronman and Wheeler over Button. The further removed Button is from his NHL front office days, the more he seems to say outlandish stuff for clicks/headlines.

And if you can put Pronman's personal biases (favors skill above all else) in perspective, I find him pretty informative.
The more interesting question to me is, who do you think watches the most amateur hockey games? My gut tells me Wheeler watches the most, Pronman the least.

Of course this wouldn't only be applicable to the amateur scouting, which is what they're primarily known for.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Honestly not sure I'd even say that anymore.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo

I LOVE Heiskanen.. him in a Buffalo jersey and playing with Dahlin on our top pairing would be a dream.. But nah the Norris is a point trophy and Heiskanen will never outscore Dahlin.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The more interesting question to me is, who do you think watches the most amateur hockey games? My gut tells me Wheeler watches the most, Pronman the least.

Of course this wouldn't only be applicable to the amateur scouting, which is what they're primarily known for.

Good question. I'd agree with your gut that Wheeler watches the most.....but I'd say Button watches the least. Button strikes me as a guy that watches highlights and says he watched the game.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Too much homework to get it right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad