TSN - The Hitchcock Effect

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How many games has it been again?

90% of teams play with a fire under their arse when a new coach comes in. We made Willie Dejardins look like a competent coach.

Save this kind of talk for when you make the playoffs.

Reactions: mouz135

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Oilers are playing better under Hitchcock. Last night aside, for the Oilers better generally means more boring but a boring win to most team's fans is probably better than an exciting loss.
The Oilers will still struggle to make the playoffs but at least now, if they keep it up, there's hope.
The next three games against the Flames, Avs, and Jets will be a good test for the new and improved Oilers

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I remember the jump the Blues got when they hired him and how within a few year knew he wasn’t the answer. But with the young guys in Edmonton, at least they will learn gown to care about defense and the forecheck.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Teams almost always get a boost when playing for a new coach. It would be news worthy if they were still sucking.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
The rest of the League is starting to take notice of what is happening in Edmonton, I’m hearing a lot of love in the media and on HF.

Hitch was the missing piece to bringing this squad back to their dominant place in the League. When it comes to playoffs, other than Nashville I don’t see any teams that have an answer in the west. With a healthy McDavid this team will be winning multiple Cups.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
This is interesting to me, someone who is not an Oilers fan, and I never would’ve seen it if it was posted on the Oilers board
What’s the point of team boards if there might be someone who finds a particular thread interesting?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The rest of the League is starting to take notice of what is happening in Edmonton, I’m hearing a lot of love in the media and on HF.

Hitch was the missing piece to bringing this squad back to their dominant place in the League. When it comes to playoffs, other than Nashville I don’t see any teams that have an answer in the west. With a healthy McDavid this team will be winning multiple Cups.

Or the team is receiving the new coach effect, which happens a ton of times.

My point is none should be making these type of comments right now.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Enjoy it while it lasts. It was the same with the Stars as Blues fans have reported - the team looks better at first, but eventually the wheels come off. If the Oilers are lucky, they'll get at least a season and a playoff appearance before that happens.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
It's very relevant. Watch McDavid take over the NHL scoring race in 2 weeks
Probably not with Hitchcock. Last nights game was most likely an outlier for McDavid's chances of catching up to Rantanen and co. I'll take Hitchcock every day for how the team's been playing so far because they're winning, but I doubt it's going to help McDavid much for his Art Ross chances

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Every one of those improvements is strictly because of line matching, something TMac did not or refused to do. He hasn't had the practice time to implement anything tactical on the ice.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
"Play McDavid more" is obviously a fantastic strategy for the short term, but it doesn't matter if you make the playoffs if all your best players are run into the ground and you get bounced in the first round (ask STL fans).

Hitch does have a great defensive system though, that shouldn't be news to anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad