TSN says McDavid is potentially better than Gretzky

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
You clearly missed my point lol. From a pure skill standpoint, most players are faster skaters, more accurate shooters, better stickhandlers, stronger etc. Lots of improvements in technology, training, health/fitness etc.

Just like how every single sprinter in the 2020 mens 100m absolutely dusted the gold medalist time in the 1980 olympics. The 2020 group was objectively faster sprinters, but they were not "better" sprinters.

I also went on to explain how that's irrelevant because the best way to compare is relative to your peers.
You said “objectively better hockey players.” What if I told you Gretzky wasn’t the best because of tangible measurable factors like stength and speed, but instead because he was a savant *at hockey.* Is your contention that modern players are better at high speed processing on the ice during play?

Reactions: tarheelhockey

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
This whole humans have advanced millions of years in two decades argument that pervades HF is truly exhausting. :(
You're taking it far, no one is claiming that they've advanced millions of years lol.

1980 Olympics: Mens 100m gold winner = 10.25 seconds
2020 Olympics Mens 100m gold winner = 9.80 seconds.

In fact, almost 40 runners ran a 10.05 or lower to even QUALIFY for the olympics in 2020. All of them would have destroyed the gold winner from 1980. Does not make them better runners. But objectively, faster yes.

This is an easy question to answer, you already know the answer, you just won’t accept it because it makes it basically impossible for any player to surpass gretzky

But that’s the thing about being the ALL TIME GOAT

It was impossible for Gretzky to dominate the way he did too. For someone to pass gretz, they need to score more than gretz

Only one player has scored 200 points in a season, and that player did it 4x

If you’re going to be better than Wayne, there’s your first bar to cross. 200 points

Bullshit, do you think fitness was invented in the new millennium or something?

Have a look at gordie how and compare him to Ovechkin and McDavid

This fitness argument is ignorant
What's ignorant is acting like we as humans have not made significant fitness and athletic strides in 30 years.

What's ignorant is acting like being jacked (Gordie) = being fit/athletic.

Your boomer is showing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I never said anything that opposes that. I understand that Gretzky played in a time where technology, health/fitness, athleticism was lower overall.
You said, unless I'm mistaken, that most modern players are objectively better at hockey than Gretzky implying exactly that, that most players today are better at hockey than Gretzky not more athletic but better at hockey.

Now, if you said that there are a lot of players that skate faster, shoot harder etc. then sure but better at hockey implies something completely different.

From a pure natural skill standpoint, pure physical talent, there are plenty of guys that had/have more of that than Gretzky but that alone doesn't make them better at hockey. Where players, like every player in history, falls behind Gretzky is the thinking aspect, the hockey brain and THAT is what separates him from the rest.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Here's the only real truth:

1) Most modern players are objectively better at hockey than Gretzky was. Athletes are just miles better.

How do you figure most players today are better than Gretzky, when Matt Cullen of all people played in the NHL only a few years ago, at the age of 43?

• Haha
Reactions: the valiant effort

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Here's the only real truth:

1) Most modern players are objectively better at hockey than Gretzky was. Athletes are just miles better.

2) But relative to their peers and how dominant they were? Not even close lol.
-> Gretzky lead the league in points 11 times to McDavids 5.
-> Gretzky lead the league in goals 5 times to McDavids 1
-> Gretzky lead the league in assists 16 times to McDavids 3
This is like saying modern college graduates have a higher IQ than Isaac Newton because they know more theoretical literature than he does. They're not better at hockey than he was, they're just better equipped and better trained.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
McDavid may very well retire with a trophy case superior to everyone not named Gretzky.

But as great as he is, I dont see him retiring as the GOAT. Gretzky was just so dominant.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
You're taking it far, no one is claiming that they've advanced millions of years lol.

In fact, almost 40 runners ran a 10.05 or lower to even QUALIFY for the olympics in 2020. All of them would have destroyed the gold winner from 1980. Does not make them better runners. But objectively, faster yes.

What's ignorant is acting like we as humans have not made significant fitness and athletic strides in 30 years.

Your boomer is showing.
Much of that difference is down to technology

Reactions: BraveCanadian

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
You said “objectively better hockey players.” What if I told you Gretzky wasn’t the best because of tangible measurable factors like stength and speed, but instead because he was a savant *at hockey.* Is your contention that modern players are better at high speed processing on the ice during play?
There are so many factors that go into being a good hockey player and the skills involved.

Gretzky's IQ was off the charts 100%, and would be one of the easiest to transition. But the overall hockey IQ of every player is still a lot higher in a vaccuum today. (due to better coaching, video playback etc.

I 100% support that if Gretzky was born in 1996 and had all of the same training and technology, that he would STILL win 11 art rosses. I have never denied that. It's just that we're comparing something totally different.

Much of that difference is down to technology
Did you even read these articles?

One was referencing long distance running (which I didn't mention at all), plus it still only talks about the cnage from 2012 to 2019.

The other one that was about sprinting only talks about changes from 2016 to 2022 lol.

Get out of here

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan

Most of this does come down to technology/materials and yes, the chemical enhancements.

The David Epstein video does a good job of breaking down the tech differences

Normalizing technology, is Usain Bolt the fastest ever? Yes. But if we look at gold medalists from 1970-2000, once they get the benefit of modern footwear and clothing, the 10.25-9.80 second gap closes significantly.

The best example of this in hockey is the stick technology. I can whip shots far better now than I could 20 years ago despite being out of shape and playing hockey 1% as often. Because the sticks are infinitely better.

If you were to make an honest best whatever list, whether that's hockey or any sport, you would get a smattering of players from different eras.

Some day someone will break Gretzky's point records. Some day someone will break his 11x leading the league in points. Some day a defenseman will win an Art Ross while being elite defensively. Hockey has had too many impossibles happen for me to believe these impossibles will never be broken.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I mean we will never know but they could be right.

The quality of competition (ie the skill and work ethic of the average NHL player) is significantly higher than when Gretzky played. Goalies are also better in terms of technique and equipment. Coaching and system structures are improved. Basically, everything is improved so it it is harder for a player to separate themselves from the pack as much as when Gretzky played.

This message board hates having all time greats compared to modern NHL players and is often blinded by nostalgia or is mystified by the legends. The reality is that athletes continue to get better over time and the NHL is no exception. There’s a reason why Olympic records are routinely broken in sports that are more objective in measuring success (track and field, swimming, etc).

Bro, you don’t know what you’re talking about

Carl Lewis ran a 9.92 in 1988 the current 100m record is over a decade old and is only 9.58 now

Huge strides have been made in human achievement from the 80’s until today? Ya I call bullshit on that

They’ve been shaving the 100m record by literally thousands of a second for 40 years

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Gretzky is the greatest player of all time and it is not debatable. Putting things into context though, most goalies in the 80's were under 5'10. There was no salary cap so you could play with 5 other Hall of Famers if your team was able to acquire them. Gretzky played on a team that scored over 400 goals in a season for 5 straight years. Even if Gretzky played today in his prime, no team in the league is scoring 400 goals in a season, it would be impossible to score even close to what Gretzky did in the 80's or have that kind of separation between himself and other top scorers. It would be impossible to dominate at that level again, the league is far more competitive now.

At best you can just make a reasonable comparison using context, but you cannot take anything away from Gretzky because he joined the league under the conditions that existed at the time and absolutely blew the league out of the water.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Your boomer is showing.

Go tell Arnold or Tyson that they didn’t know how to stay in shape lmao

You have no idea what you’re talking about, kid. Pull your pants up and get a job and stay out of it when grown ups are talking

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
McDavid may very well retire with a trophy case superior to everyone not named Gretzky.
76.jpg

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I understand why the statement was made.

I think most would agree that the talent level today 1 thru 18 for skaters is better than the 80's

Goalies for the most part are alot better today.

Defensive schemes are tougher today than the 80's.

What McDavid is doing today is VERY much like what Gretzky was doing to teams in the 80s.

Granted, McDavid doesn't have to deal with the same level of physicality that the game presented 40 years ago, but what he IS doing today is, IMHO, almost as impressive.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
There are so many factors that go into being a good hockey player and the skills involved.

Gretzky's IQ was off the charts 100%, and would be one of the easiest to transition. But the overall hockey IQ of every player is still a lot higher in a vaccuum today. (due to better coaching, video playback etc.

I 100% support that if Gretzky was born in 1996 and had all of the same training and technology, that he would STILL win 11 art rosses. I have never denied that. It's just that we're comparing something totally different.

Did you even read these articles?

One was referencing long distance running (which I didn't mention at all), plus it still only talks about the cnage from 2012 to 2019.

The other one that was about sprinting only talks about changes from 2016 to 2022 lol.

Get out of here
The point was that even in such a sport where technology plays a seemingly minor role it still explains most of the improvements in results. Did you not get it? This is an interesting lecture on the topic:

I remember watching even a better video on the topic a few years ago but wasn't able to find it.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I understand why the poll was made.

I think most would agree that the talent level today 1 thru 18 for skaters is better than the 80's

Goalies for the most part are alot better today.

Defensive schemes are tougher today than the 80's.

What McDavid is doing today is VERY much like what Gretzky was doing to teams in the 80s.

Granted, McDavid doesn't have to deal with the same level of physicality that the game presented 40 years ago, but what he IS doing today is, IMHO, almost as impressive.

To be the man, you’ve got to beat the man

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Mcdavid is the most talented player of all time IMO but Gretzky is the best player of all time. You just cant compete with those numbers.

Gretzky is the most dominant athlete of all time

It’s a high bar to reach and I have no patience for these kids trying to lower it for anyone

Reactions: HolyHagelin

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No.

Gretzky had 1963 career assists.

Jagr is 2nd all time in points at 1921. So Gretzky has more assists than 2nd place has points.

Gretzky also played about 250 less games.

McDavid is a great player but no one compares to Gretzky, and no one likely ever will.
Your point while right is presented to make Gretzky look better than he was

Jagr is a fringe top 10 player all time. Comparison with him of course looks bad to the GOAT

Gretzky has 1 rival and that was Lemieux

Lemieux is maybe <5% worse as a player than Gretzky was. Just had horrible injury luck.

Mcdavid is probably going to end #3 all time and be <10% worse than Gretzky. He has a chance to be in same tier as Lemieux if he keeps this up.

Mcdavid right now is more dominant at his sport than Lebron James was before 2012 when he got his first ring

6 rosses, 5 lindsay, 4 harts he will have after 9 years (assuming he wns this season all 3 which hes on track for)

Lebron got ring #1 in year 9 and then added 3 more along the way. He is in a 1A/1B situation with Jordan for GOAT of NBA with opinions being close

Mcdavid if he adds 3-4 more of these type years and gets 2-3 cups has a legitmate GOAT argument over Gretzky

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I remember doing hockey pools in the Gretzky era, if you got the 1st pick you had to choose between Gretzky's assists or Gretzky's goals. You weren't allowed to simply take Gretzky as it would almost guarantee you won.

When McDavid has this level of dominance over his peers, he can be in the conversation. Until then it's Gretzky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad