Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
"Ivan Hlinka to coach Penguins because Jagr and bunch of other Czechs."

Remember how that turned out?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Looks like my Eriksson to Buff proposal from the other day is coming closer and closer :yo:

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
What about that Swiss coach who looked really funny when he yelled?
Am Swiss and I have no idea who you're thinking about. Maybe Christian Wohlwend or Arno Del Curto (god bless his English)? I did some research and just found out that a lot of our (our = swiss) coaches look strangely funny.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Am Swiss and I have no idea who you're thinking about. Maybe Christian Wohlwend or Arno Del Curto (god bless his English)? I did some research and just found out that a lot of our (our = swiss) coaches look strangely funny.

The one at the world juniors. I swore every time he yelled it was like watching someone at an opera screaming to the top note.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
seems less like a rumor and more like a "Hey, this guy could be coach because they have a bunch of swedes!"

It does make a lot of sense though.. He's been active in north america for a lot of years, has a lot of experience from international standpoint and with a good record of medals and he's sitting on an expiring contract with the national team and choosing not to pro long it.

He's a good coach and good candidate for the job. We'll see, I do think we are going to see Grönborg coach an NHL team in the near future no matter if it's on the Sabres or not.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Alpo Suhonen was already there. Maybe he would take a risk with Jukka Jalonen as an assistant? He has NHL ambitions still.
I think they should speak fluent English and Jalonen can't do that. Grönborg speaks perfect English. As an European fan wpuld love to see some coaches in NHL I know we have lot of better coaches than some NHL teams have right now. And would love to see Don Cherry getting furious.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think they should speak fluent English and Jalonen can't do that. Grönborg speaks perfect English. As an European fan wpuld love to see some coaches in NHL I know we have lot of better coaches than some NHL teams have right now. And would love to see Don Cherry getting furious.

Yes he can. He coached a year in Newcastle and has coached in KHL before Jokerit.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Yes he can. He coached a year in Newcastle and has coached in KHL before Jokerit.

Oh his English was better than I thought thanks for correction. And for sure his English would get better quickly.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
The problem with Grönborg is that he hasn't actually coached a professional league team in his entire life, only minors in NA and then in the Tre Kronor system.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The problem with Grönborg is that he hasn't actually coached a professional league team in his entire life, only minors in NA and then in the Tre Kronor system.
Honest question: does that need a lot of change? Coaching is coaching. And either the players buy it or they don't. The Tre Kronor system is full of star players and on a very high level.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Honest question: does that need a lot of change? Coaching is coaching. And either the players buy it or they don't. The Tre Kronor system is full of star players and on a very high level.

I'm thinking there's a different dynamic when it comes to coaching a group for a long time and adapting to the ups and downs of a full season.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
It does make a lot of sense though.. He's been active in north america for a lot of years, has a lot of experience from international standpoint and with a good record of medals and he's sitting on an expiring contract with the national team and choosing not to pro long it.

He's a good coach and good candidate for the job. We'll see, I do think we are going to see Grönborg coach an NHL team in the near future no matter if it's on the Sabres or not.

Oh I am not against him being coach. I actually posted in the sabres board i liked the idea. I just don't see this as a rumor. It just seems to be some guy saying he thinks Gron could be a good fit.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I do not see it as controversial. Grönborg has done well in the situations he have been as a coach. Worth a try, genius move if it works and he can always be sacked if it does not work out.

And as posted above, Ulf Samuelsson has taken the long road when it comes to coaching. I have no idea if he has been good at it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad