Rumor: TSN reports Pacioretty/Marchessault being shopped

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I mean from a level of play perspective, I'd move Marchy first, I was not happy with him.... I felt he wasted my time. :sarcasm:

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Marchessault should attract plenty of interest. Great competitor on a decent contract.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Where is offense going to come from if the Knights trade Patches or Marchy?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Where is offense going to come from if the Knights trade Patches or Marchy?

I'm assuming all the other guys it came from to put us top ten in scoring last season.

Tuch moving up and not being injured half the season could contribute more than eight goals. Glass maturing and possibly Haula or Elvenes coming in. Pietrangelo will help increase the total, as well. If Theodore keeps improving you have to think he could contribute more.

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
You guys watch Marchessault way more than I ever have, but sometimes a fan base takes a player for granted and is overly critical--everytime I watched Vegas whether against the Kings or not, I came away thinking I'd take that Marchessault guy on the Kings any day.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
You guys watch Marchessault way more than I ever have, but sometimes a fan base takes a player for granted and is overly critical--everytime I watched Vegas whether against the Kings or not, I came away thinking I'd take that Marchessault guy on the Kings any day.

I don't think people are too critical here. These trades are pure need from salary cap since they totally botched the Fleury situation. I do think a Max or Marchy deal does make sense if they are doing it for the right reason, which is to create some medium term cap relief in a world with a flat cap and replace either of those guys by essentially promoting youth and moving guys up in the lineup. If they are doing it and then go through this annual exercise of lets go crazy and sign some high priced talent and figure out the cap after it, then I'm not so sure it makes sense.

Reactions: RaymondReddington

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think people are too critical here. These trades are pure need from salary cap since they totally botched the Fleury situation. I do think a Max or Marchy deal does make sense if they are doing it for the right reason, which is to create some medium term cap relief in a world with a flat cap and replace either of those guys by essentially promoting youth and moving guys up in the lineup. If they are doing it and then go through this annual exercise of lets go crazy and sign some high priced talent and figure out the cap after it, then I'm not so sure it makes sense.

Vegas is exempt from expansion draft. We should be looking to have cap space available to take advantage for a good trade next year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
When the owner makes these comments, I cringe. GMs have a job to do, owners shouldn't be out publicly talking about personnel decisions. Everyone has a price if they don't have an NTC, by speaking publicly you completely distort that price.

I don't think the price goes down if he says we are not shopping him. I think it makes it seem we could trade him for the right price but aren't in need of doing so.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
If they are moving Pacioretty or Marchessault I assume it would be to fit in a guy like Hoffman on a cheaper one year deal.

Why would a team try to trade for Pacioretty while Hoffman is still availible? He would be a lot cheaper and you wouldn't have to trade anything away to get him.

The only way I see a team trade for him is if the Free Agents are already gone.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Why would a team try to trade for Pacioretty while Hoffman is still availible? He would be a lot cheaper and you wouldn't have to trade anything away to get him.

The only way I see a team trade for him is if the Free Agents are already gone.

But if you get an asset to sign the player? Why not.

Was listening to a podcast yesterday (I have a number I listen to so don't recall exactly which one), and the guy was saying that GMs are being told to not spend to the cap. So even if a team has the space, and in the past the owner would authorize a big payout for a large contract AND a 1st, right now they aren't.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
What would your team realistically want from the Sens for Alex Tuch? It appears your team needs to clear cap space..

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
What would your team realistically want from the Sens for Alex Tuch? It appears your team needs to clear cap space..

I'm not really sure they absolutely need to. They're like 124k over. They can waive Holden and bring up Dahlstrom or Hague and get similar production and be under, though roster juggling would be annoying through the season. They could make a small trade like Holden and be absolutely fine.

I think the Pacioretty issue may be because they want to get ahead of clearing more space for rentals they always make and for next season when Vegas is exempt from Seattle expansion draft to try to swing a good trade and with an eye toward a flat cap for five years it seems.

Certainly not at a point where they would trade a good young asset for anything other than fair value. Not sure what that would be though because Vegas still values Tuch highly even though he had a down regular season with injuries. Can't see Marchessault still being here and Tuch traded in any regard.

Reactions: cj19

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
A LOT. He's part of the future. So 1st, good NHL roster player, top prospect and perhaps more.

So essentially one player/pick for every two goals that Tuch scored last year? What value!

I wonder if the Senators can get that much for Colin White...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I can't fault the logic behind moving Marchessault and signing Hoffman to a 4m contract if you can sign him that cheap. Every time I watch Hoffman snipe he seems like such an underrated goal scorer.

(As weird as the carousel is).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad