Injury Report: TSN reports Kessel and Bozak out with lower body injuries

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I remember Phil getting up slowly after getting fell on behind the net against Buffalo I believe. Hope it's just minor.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 1h1 hour ago
For the past two seasons Bozak's been dealing with an oblique injury. From my understanding those are very hard to come back from...

hockeyfanz*

Either that or they are tired and out of shape

Olympics did not affect Doughty,Kopitar,brown, Quick carter or voyonov. Didn't have much effect on Lundqvist, st louis, nash, haglen, mcdonaugh etc.

Stop making excuses for them - they crapped the bed in the last month and a half.

Its amusing that some will use the Olympics as an excuse. Like the two Leafs were the only two players in the NHL to participate in the Olympics. Players for the finalists as you mentioned played into mid June and played in 20+ odd more games. Games that were much more intense, demanding and gruelling. If this is some kind of excuse for these players..you might as well stop watching them right now. They will never compete with the athletes that have shown to be able to compete for much longer and a higher level. To be a winner...you will have to pick it up a notch or two come April...not fade away like the Leafs have become known for.

hockeyfanz*

and these players are the main reason there teams are good

hahahaha....yeah good teams are made up of bums...what an argument..."thats because they play on good teams."

Its like geez..these Stanley Cup winning teams always have some of the best players in the world playing for them. What a co-incidence.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
What is your problem? The Leaf have looked good in the games I've seen. Stop knocking the team or cheer for another team

Tyler Biggs*

Kessel has been a very durable player and may be sitting out for precautionary reasons. There are 3 days remaining before Wed.'s game and if the problem was serious I am sure Carlyle would tell us. Looking forward to the game and wish the Leafs all the best this season.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 1h1 hour ago
For the past two seasons Bozak's been dealing with an oblique injury. From my understanding those are very hard to come back from...

That's not good. Hopefully he fully recovers from it and will no longer be an issue

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I would be fine with Peter Holland on the 1st line instead of Bozak. Holland will flourish with good line mates, and it's not like Bozak is a major upgrade.

If Nonis isn't going to take the stick out of his ass and make a deal for a centre upgrade then they're going to have to run with what they have, which is a terribly weak centre line up.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Kessel won't miss. We'll see about Bozey.

Maybe Bozey could drive him to the rink at least..

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Its amusing that some will use the Olympics as an excuse. Like the two Leafs were the only two players in the NHL to participate in the Olympics. Players for the finalists as you mentioned played into mid June and played in 20+ odd more games. Games that were much more intense, demanding and gruelling. If this is some kind of excuse for these players..you might as well stop watching them right now. They will never compete with the athletes that have shown to be able to compete for much longer and a higher level. To be a winner...you will have to pick it up a notch or two come April...not fade away like the Leafs have become known for.

did those players have to spend 1/2 the period in their own zone every night skating like their heads were cut off? no. it's not that "oh they went to the Olympics." it's that: they went to the Olympics, came back and had documented injuries, played taxing minutes, AND the system that Randy employs had them more taxed out than everyone else that you've mentioned

Crosby, Doughty, Weber, whomever -if they were on the Leafs, playing the way the Leafs played - then yeah. I'd be using that as a factor of why they broke down sooner.

the fact that this still has to be brought up to bring in some sort of concept is mindboggling.

I will explain it one more time for everyone:
the average hockey shift is 30 seconds to 45 seconds in length.
some players will play at least 1 minute, to 1.10.

the Leafs would spend on average approx. 5 to 12 minutes per period in their own end. Some periods (usually the 2nd) this lowered, and it wasn't every game. Some of those possession times were 2-3 minutes of relentess forecheck by the visiting team (or home team if the Leafs were on the road).

So. it is safe to say the Leafs average shift time some periods were longer than 40 seconds in length. Not to mention if it was a defensive zone start (which it mostly always was) which would also cause some havoc.

therefore: the fact that the leafs played this way for 2 seasons, both in a condensed schedule and 2/3rds of the offense of the team (because other than Kadri and the defense near the end, no one else was really putting up points), and then they came back with injuries - yeah. the fact that they went to the Olympics was a factor for JVR/Phil breaking down.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I couldn't agree with you more on this one point.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
did those players have to spend 1/2 the period in their own zone every night skating like their heads were cut off? no. it's not that "oh they went to the Olympics." it's that: they went to the Olympics, came back and had documented injuries, played taxing minutes, AND the system that Randy employs had them more taxed out than everyone else that you've mentioned

Crosby, Doughty, Weber, whomever -if they were on the Leafs, playing the way the Leafs played - then yeah. I'd be using that as a factor of why they broke down sooner.

the fact that this still has to be brought up to bring in some sort of concept is mindboggling.

the Leafs would spend on average approx. 5 to 12 minutes per period in their own end. Some periods (usually the 2nd) this lowered, and it wasn't every game. Some of those possession times were 2-3 minutes of relentess forecheck by the visiting team (or home team if the Leafs were on the road).

So. it is safe to say the Leafs average shift time some periods were longer than 40 seconds in length. Not to mention if it was a defensive zone start (which it mostly always was) which would also cause some havoc.

therefore: the fact that the leafs played this way for 2 seasons, both in a condensed schedule and 2/3rds of the offense of the team (because other than Kadri and the defense near the end, no one else was really putting up points), and then they came back with injuries - yeah. the fact that they went to the Olympics was a factor for JVR/Phil breaking down.

Kessel averaged 20:39 of ice time a game and averaged 24.5 shifts a game. JVR averaged 21:03 of ice time a game and 26.0 shifts a game. Of those minutes both averaged 3:08 a game on the PP.

JVR played tougher minutes as he played on the PK.....but lets get real here. Their minutes were were not in large chunks of ice time.

Kessel averaged 49 second shifts
JVR averaged 48.5 second shifts

Go ahead and look at the other players in the Olympics you will see that they all averaged similar amounts of shifts etc.

Crosby averaged 53.95 seconds per shift!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

IMO, they would have been tired at the end Olympics or not. It's surprising(for some, not really) that some don't understand it's easier to play on a good team then a bad one. Maybe that's something that would have to be experienced to understand? There's no doubt it happens.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Kessel averaged 20:39 of ice time a game and averaged 24.5 shifts a game. JVR averaged 21:03 of ice time a game and 26.0 shifts a game. Of those minutes both averaged 3:08 a game on the PP.

JVR played tougher minutes as he played on the PK.....but lets get real here. Their minutes were were not in large chunks of ice time.

Kessel averaged 49 second shifts
JVR averaged 48.5 second shifts

Go ahead and look at the other players in the Olympics you will see that they all averaged similar amounts of shifts etc.

Crosby averaged 53.95 seconds per shift!

Martin?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
IMO, they would have been tired at the end Olympics or not. It's surprising(for some, not really) that some don't understand it's easier to play on a good team then a bad one. Maybe that's something that would have to be experienced to understand? There's no doubt it happens.

(shrug) that too.

like i said. it's not an excuse. but it's a factor. it's one of these things that drive me nuts and everyone goes it's an excuse, it's an excuse." (regarding ANYTHING). Or -my new favourite. "Well, _____ has it worse."

without putting things into concept. It's always just "Well. THESE GOOD TEAMS DO IT." yeah. they do. But they didn't always do so. But I don't care. in 48 and a few hours, the book on last season is shut for me.

my hope is whatever is ailing Phill, gets better soon, as well as Tyler.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Either that or they are tired and out of shape

Olympics did not affect Doughty,Kopitar,brown, Quick carter or voyonov. Didn't have much effect on Lundqvist, st louis, nash, haglen, mcdonaugh etc.

Stop making excuses for them - they crapped the bed in the last month and a half.

I think what he meant was mentally burned out. To be a favourite to win the Gold to not even winning the Bronze would be a tough pill to swallow. Especially how they lost it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad