OT: TSN poor coverage of Canadian teams

hockeycoach

Jan 20, 2006
SenCity
Here's a letter written to the TSN audience relations department.
Lets see if it even gets read, much les acknowledged.

Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Tonight's Sprotscentre and That's Hockey

Hi
On the opening night for the Leafs first game and then their first home game your Sportscentre broadcast was over 50 minutes on all Leafs background, commentator discussions about the Leafs, and the multi year deal Kessel got. Then on That's Hockey it was all Leafs, for the whole 30 minutes.

Ottawa has been on the road for the first six games of the season and tonight is their home opener, as well there is toronto home game, their 5th home game.

So I'm watching Sportscentre waiting for the Sens home opener story, background, commentary, but there was none to speak of. Less than 4 minutes was devoted to the home opener.

This is what I find very aggravating when watching TSN, there are more than one hockey team in Canada, and when one of the 'other' has a home opener for the season, you would think a large coverage station like yours would want to appeal to the rest of Canada.

I once heard that TSN actually stands for Toronto Sports Network, and now I'm convinced that is in fact, the truth.

I will respectfully decline from watching any more Sportscentre or That's Hockey programs, until the biased unbalanced reporting and coverage is changed to be even a little more fair to the other teams.

Regards

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I once heard that TSN actually stands for Toronto Sports Network, and now I'm convinced that is in fact, the truth.

I'm pretty sure it is Toronto Sports Network.
Edit- I actually thought it was until I Googled it :facepalm:

Last edited:

sensR4real

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa
good letter, worth a try, it is very unfair!!
On another note, I am peeved with RDS, they used to give support to the sens since many in Quebec (Outaouais region especially) are fans of the SENS. They used to (until this year) have a senators tab on their website home page so you could simply click and view the latest sens' articles. They since removed the tab and they almost never write about my team anymore. This leaves me very disappointed!! I am boycotting RDS now and I hope others do it as well...

Here's a letter written to the TSN audience relations department.
Lets see if it even gets read, much les acknowledged.

Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Tonight's Sprotscentre and That's Hockey

Hi
On the opening night for the Leafs first game and then their first home game your Sportscentre broadcast was over 50 minutes on all Leafs background, commentator discussions about the Leafs, and the multi year deal Kessel got. Then on That's Hockey it was all Leafs, for the whole 30 minutes.

Ottawa has been on the road for the first six games of the season and tonight is their home opener, as well there is toronto home game, their 5th home game.

So I'm watching Sportscentre waiting for the Sens home opener story, background, commentary, but there was none to speak of. Less than 4 minutes was devoted to the home opener.

This is what I find very aggravating when watching TSN, there are more than one hockey team in Canada, and when one of the 'other' has a home opener for the season, you would think a large coverage station like yours would want to appeal to the rest of Canada.

I will respectfully decline from watching any more Sportscentre or That's Hockey programs, until the biased unbalanced reporting and coverage is changed to be even a little more fair to the other teams.

Regards

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
good letter, worth a try, it is very unfair!!
On another note, I am peeved with RDS, they used to give support to the sens since many in Quebec (Outaouais region especially) are fans of the SENS. They used to (until this year) have a senators tab on their website home page so you could simply click and view the latest sens' articles. They since removed the tab and they almost never write about my team anymore. This leaves me very disappointed!! I am boycotting RDS now and I hope others do it as well...

Most likely because TVA Sports has taken over the Sens games.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
The only time I was ever angered by the pro-leafs bias was during the battle of Ontario years on CBC. TSN/Sportsnet never bothered me tbh because they don't come off as fanboys of the leafs like CBC do

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
My favorite is I was watching Sportsnet's hockey show and they started with the Phx-Sens highlights...the announcer starts botching the goal calls, there's silence for about 45 seconds, then they cut away abruptly from the highlight package (before the OT goal nonetheless) and says: "Well, we screwed up! Let's go right to the Leafs game."

Wow. I mean...wow.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
My favorite is I was watching Sportsnet's hockey show and they started with the Phx-Sens highlights...the announcer starts botching the goal calls, there's silence for about 45 seconds, then they cut away abruptly from the highlight package (before the OT goal nonetheless) and says: "Well, we screwed up! Let's go right to the Leafs game."

Wow. I mean...wow.

Yeah this was my favorite. That guy looked like a total tool.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Bell owns the Leafs. Bell owns TSN. Nothing will change.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the coverage the Sens have gotten. Once the puck dropped on the season we haven't heard much about Alfie gate and that garbage. Mostly all about Ryan and Spezza. I particularly like That's Hocley tonight. Best hockey show on the planet IMO. I love Kouleas whenever he's not on a crusade to ban fighting (which the entirety of TSN seems to be into these days).

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
If you're going to write a letter man... C'mon.

As many others have said, TSN first and foremost is a business, and catering to the Toronto market is just demographics.

Its also a business operating in a dying industry. Everywhere you look media companies are cutting back, losing staff, streamlining.

TSN isn't CBC, they don't have any responsibility to anyone in terms of balanced coverage - they are totally in their right to go after the largest markets and this is what they do.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Bell owns the Leafs. Bell owns TSN. Nothing will change.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the coverage the Sens have gotten. Once the puck dropped on the season we haven't heard much about Alfie gate and that garbage. Mostly all about Ryan and Spezza. I particularly like That's Hocley tonight. Best hockey show on the planet IMO. I love Kouleas whenever he's not on a crusade to ban fighting (which the entirety of TSN seems to be into these days).

Kouleas is right at the top of the list of biggest idiots in hockey media.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Toronto has the biggest english fan base in the sport. ITs only natural that the media caters to them.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Why do you think this?

I'm not infering that Smeddy thinks this but I find in general well spoken non athletic males are not well recieved in sports media. People don't like to think when they switch on the game or highlights. It upsets them. Same reason why guys like Healy and Shawn Simpson are able to have careers in talking.

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
Canadian stations being incredibly biased to Toronto in hockey coverage? The heck you say!

Honestly letters arne't going to do piss all. The GTA market will ensure that nothing will change. The only thing that would force change is a strong non-biased competitor that isn't Toronto focused and takes a good chunk of market share (good luck with that in Canada), or enough people speaking with their wallets (again, good luck with that.)

angrydad

Oct 20, 2011
I'm not infering that Smeddy thinks this but I find in general well spoken non athletic males are not well recieved in sports media. People don't like to think when they switch on the game or highlights. It upsets them. Same reason why guys like Healy and Shawn Simpson are able to have careers in talking.

he played for Ryerson University. He makes fun of himself for how bad the team was but that is a decent level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad