TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Pierre said that he knows of three teams with interest in Pacioretty, but he can’t name them because he was told in confidence.

Nilan starts going on “if I have something to say I just say it, I don’t hold back” and something about “I don’t call guys for scoops”.

I don’t think he understood Pierre, and was saying that breaching confidences is the right thing to do. Melnick intervened, it was just awkward.

Nilan often jumps in at the wrong time with an off tangent comment.
Thanks very much. I just don't understand why Nilan, who is a former player always sides with management after a player is traded. He did it to PK and then he did it to Galchenyuk.

Reactions: groovejuice

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Thanks very much. I just don't understand why Nilan, who is a former player always sides with management after a player is traded. He did it to PK and then he did it to Galchenyuk.

I think he's quite involved with the Habs' Alumni and he goes off pretty often for Alumni hockey games in the community. He's probably pretty well treated as an Alumni and gets certain privileges and as a result he likely feels an obligation to the team and he doesn't want to burn any bridges. Any criticisms are usually pretty mild. I remember during the season he would echo the management's ideas that the answer was 'in the room' and the players just had to want it more and stuff like that.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

Nilan left Montreal because Perron could no longer put up with him (as I recall he sort of overvalued himself) and then he had another dispute with the head coach in Boston (not sure who offhand).

The comment about the alumni may have some validity. The players get paid to play those games. I was stunned when Momesso missed a broadcast or two to play in Pembroke.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On Draft day, 690 pre-empted their programming in favor of soccer.

There are so many more days for soccer and this morning's match wasn't even critical or decisive.

The game ends and now 690 has a soccer guy discussing hockey. Seems like a strategy borrowed from the Habs where they are using players out of position.

Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ryan Wagman of McKeen's on 690 right now, talking to some soccer guy.

Says that Kotkaniemi doesn't have impact speed to be a no. 1C. He'd prefer someone more dynamic to fit today's NHL pace. He's not a bad player but has more value at the 6-8 range and Zadina has more impact potential.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Says that Kotkaniemi doesn't have impact speed to be a no. 1C. Says he'd prefer someone more dynamic to fit today's NHL pace.

Yeah I'm also listening to him right now (shocker I know :) ) He said from what he heard yesterday it was still a toss up between Zadina and Kotkaniemi for the Habs. Said he believes if the Habs take Kotkaniemi @ 3 it would be a mistake for the reason you outlined in your post.

Reactions: Runner77

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Says that Kotkaniemi doesn't have impact speed to be a no. 1C. He'd prefer someone more dynamic to fit today's NHL pace. He's not a bad player but has more value at the 6-8 range and Zadina has more impact potential.

He has Veleno higher than Kotkaniemi.....did I hear that right??

Veleno at 10
Kotka at 13

??

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He has Veleno higher than Kotkaniemi.....did I hear that right??

Veleno at 10
Kotka at 13

??

Yeah, he makes good arguments about Kotkaniemi but then his other rankings are difficult to understand.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Anze Kopitar doesn't have impact speed but he's definitely a #1C...

I hate these type of evaluations that just focus on one aspect of a player and ignore everything else...I mean yes, one of the youngest players in the draft, who is still growing isn't the fastest player in the draft. But it's not like he can't skate.

If speed was everything, Andreas Athanasiou would be a year candidate for the Hart trophy.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Anze Kopitar doesn't have impact speed but he's definitely a #1C...

I hate these type of evaluations that just focus on one aspect of a player and ignore everything else...I mean yes, one of the youngest players in the draft, who is still growing isn't the fastest player in the draft. But it's not like he can't skate.

If speed was everything, Andreas Athanasiou would be a year candidate for the Hart trophy.

Very very good point

Reactions: Runner77

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Because Nilan knows people who tell him what's going on inside the room. In both PK's and Galchenyuk's cases, there was a lot of off-ice stuff going on which were factors in their getting moved. Management isn't really able to come out and say publically what those issues were. They have to try and frame everything as a hockey-related thing but many trades, like we saw earlier this week with Hoffman, have almost nothing to do with on-ice performance issues. They didn't trade Subban because he's a lousy hockey player. Same with Galchenyuk. Nilan is a team-first guy who never took kindly to players who's personal issues put them at odds with team goals. If Nilan had been on a team with Subban he'd have tuned him up in a fight during training camp and taught the kid a lesson about getting too big for one's britches.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It's annoying because speed is just one aspect of skating....but balance, agility, acceleration are also part of it, not to mention the hockey sense to be able to apply those skating mechanics with the puck.
I hear ya......you’d think that if he’s this good right now with these “skating flaws”, what’s Kotka’s ceiling with added strength to his legs and core and training to work out the kinks in his skating??

This kid seems to have it all.....I’m hoping he’s our pick, he’s my first choice.

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here we go again with the soccer guy getting defensive about how soccer is pre-empting hockey coverage today: "it's the greatest sport in the world, only happens once every 4 years, most of the day is about hockey anyways, blah, blah, eat a sandwich, blah, swallow a steak, blah, burp."

Marino, go get bent. So tired of your schtick.

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Nilan left Montreal because Perron could no longer put up with him (as I recall he sort of overvalued himself) and then he had another dispute with the head coach in Boston (not sure who offhand).

The comment about the alumni may have some validity. The players get paid to play those games. I was stunned when Momesso missed a broadcast or two to play in Pembroke.
Nilan had issues with Perron because Perron was an a-hole with an oversized ego who fancied himself as a great coach. Nilan had no interest in humoring him. Nilan scored 19 goals playing on a checking line in 85 but despite working his butt off and showing that he could actually contribute without only using his fists, Perron decided that he was just a goon and wouldn't let him do anything else (yet another in a long line of Habs coaches who followed the mantra made famous by Therrien: "Accept it. Do it.")

In Boston, he ran up against Rick Bowness who also wasn't interested in using Nilan for anything but a human punching bag. He had no respect for him and the feeling was mutual on Nilan's part.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What a great combo -- soccer guy now interviewing McCagg. What could possibly go right.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
He's not highly educated but is very cunning. He managed to land a job that a lot of people dream about, even if it doesn't pay. And has had what, a 15 year run? Pretty good for a guy who shoves soccer down people's throats and who favors interviews with obscure individuals who might advance his kids's soccer careers.
I don't dream of having a bad paying job and being mocked by everyone...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My God is McCagg boring. Unbearable. Hems and haws and hesitates like Nilan, monotone, incomplete thoughts, run-in sentences.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't dream of having a bad paying job and being mocked by everyone...

He's made the most of his limited abilities. I have no doubt that anyone else with greater intellectual prowess may not value the same ambitions.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

If you had spoken to Nilan last year and heard what he had to say about Chucky then, you wouldn't consider it siding with management. Not after the fact, at least.

Nilan may not always be right, but he is consistent and is far from a company man. He expects more from players than many fans do and he probably knows more about what should be expected from them than the fans do.

Reactions: Laurentide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad