Tryamkin's Top 250 NHL Affiliated Prospect Big Board

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Good list but my personal bias surely influencing my opinion but Tom Willander and Lekkerimaki were ranked correctly by Button
Thanks! I Think Lekkerimaki is a great prospect and I didn't rank him too differently than Button. His success in the SHL this year shows he's NHL ready as soon as next year already.

Willander also looks very good. I'm a little lower on him than some. Defensively, he looks good but I'm not sold on offensive ability yet despite his puck moving prowess. I'd say it's more of me being higher on some of the prospects that slotted just above him rather than being low on him.
Good list overall. Outside of Jiricek as mentioned, a couple guys I like further down the list that did not make it are Albert Johansson and Lenni Hameenaho.

nvm on Jiri
Thanks! Yeah Jiricek has 40 games so not eligible. Johansson is a 2019 draft class 2001 born player so not eligible either. Lenni is one of my favourite prospects! Maybe you didn't see him because he's listed a little higher than you'd expect? He's up there at #71. I had him well within my first round last year.
No Arseni Gritsyuk is criminal
Too old! Great player. I found it challenging to compare 23/24 year olds to fresher prospects but I think he has a great future regardless of if he comes over.
Any reason you're lower on Mazur? Outside Detroit's Top 5, (Four minus Cossa) he and Wallinder seem to be the next tier for most.

Just curious if you see something you don't like.
Good question. Mazur looks good! His college career was impressive. I guess due to his age as one of the older players on the list I bumped him down a bit but he really could be somewhere higher near the 100 mark. Interested in his next steps of progression, especially since guys like Berggren and Zadina have struggled to break into the team despite solid production. I guess that's part of my skepticism is I'm not sure I can picture him in anything other than a 3rd line role?
Dylan Duke should be quite a bit higher than 204 IMHO, I would put him in the 100-140 range at the very least
Fair take! He's had two really really good years with Michigan now and I admit 204 ended up quite low for him. I think 100-140 is definitely a good range for him and he was just a victim of dropping down the ranking as I added others. In retrospect I'd move him much farther up. He shouldn't be under players like Nybeck.
Great effort,

A few questions.

• Personally, I wouldn't have Moldenhauer in our top 5 prospects. The results haven't been there, and I see more projectable skills in Tverberg and a few others. What makes you have him so high?
  • For what reason is Nikita Grebyonkin behind Mikhail Ilyin, when Greb has had better stats each year. Outside of Michkov, and Yurov, Grebeyonkin has been the top performing u-21 russian forward.
  • What has Honzek/Barlow done to maintain their high ranking. To me, he's taken a step back and has been surpassed by a lot of the current draft players. Cowan/Rehkopf/Brindley etc.
  • I don't love Wood, especially his skating to me will hold him back, what makes you have him so extremely high.
Thanks!
-Moldenhauer is someone I'm very big on if you've seen my draft rankings. His DY injury set him back a ways and he's had a slower development path. I understand his stats are not as great as you'd expect, but as this was his adjustment year to NCAA hockey, I think he'll have a great year next year and I think his play style is very projectable to the NHL contrary to what you said above. Tverberg looks good this year, but I think Moldenhauer will develop into a really good player.

-Ilyin's D+1 year this year has him scoring 30 points in what's widely regarded as the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world! Grebeyonkin was an overager so his same age season as Ilyin is now had him in the MHL still. Ilyin looks really, really good. I was temped to put him closer to 50 or 60 but I'm pumping the brakes for now. Regardless, he's been putting up these numbers with only 1=12 minutes of ice time a game! Grebyonkin looks good, Leafs should be excited IF he comes over which also caused a lower ranking for him.

-I take a real gun-shy approach to souring on players after one short year. Players like Sale, Honzek, and Barlow have not had great years but there's a reason why these players are highly regarded. They are skill players and the two you had mentioned had both suffered injuries. Their eye candy is found in their projectable play styles. Barlow is a real goal scorer and his production may be lowered, but his skills are still evident. I think they can project well to a top six role still despite a struggled D+1 year. Honzek is similar and someone who having seen live many times with the Giants is just someone who processes the game much better than his teammates and will really excel with better players due to his IQ and vision. I have high hopes for both of them. Cowan, Rehkopf and Brindley look great so far! Stature and projectability are reasons for these players having not being lottery picks but their production warrants attention for sure.

-Wood is a player I really love. UCONN has been awful this year and his team is poor. The skating is holding him back absolutely and his stats are poor this year, but this is a potential beast we're talking about here. I envision a real power forward here that can provide 60-80 points consistently with the help of skating improvement. Here's an excerpt from my rankings that explain my thought process:

"Wood often gets shuffled down rankings due to his sloppy skating, however a massive growth spurt adding six or seven inches of height in a short period of time is bound to make things incredibly more difficult to coordinate. A winger that could be molded into a center, Wood has legitimate top line potential and possesses the talent to surprise teams in a few years when he really starts putting things together."
Props for making a list that big. Due to quantity alone, you'll get complaints, but no one on here has realistically watched 250 prospects.

My one thing is I don't think David Reinbacher is the 2nd best defensive prospect in the league.
Thanks! Absolutely it's impossible to have an accurate list so it helps to think of it more as a power ranking in my own particular view.

That's fair and I understand why you'd think so. With the guys like Nemec, Jiricek, Korchinski and more surpassing the games played threshold but still feeling like prospects I can understand why it feels this way. Even so, there's many guys behind him having better seasons but I see a guy that despite his offensive struggles this year can be an all situations type of player. Hutson - Reinbacher has the potential to be a dangerous duo that doesn't require him to be offensively incredible while still being incredibly important.
For Nashville it's hard to put Wood above Kemell, L'Hereaux, Molendyk and Svechkov right now.
Fair! He doesn't have the results yet! See above for my explanation on this, but I expected a pushback on his positioning. It's worthy also nothing that with better teammates, he looked much better at the WJC as an 18 year old on the U20 team! Outperformed players like current NHLer Poitras.
Much respect, always a tough endeavor to put out a list like this.

My knee jerk thought was Rodwin Dioncio. I only caught him a couple times during the WJC but came away pretty impressed. Of the Devils prospects (that I've followed more closely) you had ranked higher, I'd take Dioncio before Vilen/Stillman.
Thanks man!

Dionicio looks very good! He plays an aggressive style of game and I don't think his current style will work in pro hockey. I think he will have to adjust and it will hurt him, so I guess I could say I'm lower on his chance to make the NHL. Vilen looks really good as a 20 year old in the AHL! I've been high on him since his draft year and I think he has a much better chance of becoming an NHL piece so that's my justification there. Stillman seems like a safe bet to be at least a bottom six player despite not being a groundbreaking talent.
Any thoughts on where David Jiricek might rank? He used to be a top 10, if not top 5 prospect...

That's a ton of work and I can appreciate that. That's just a huge omission unless he's somewhere after 100, which clearly could not be the case.
Yeah just over the 25 game threshold by 15 unfortunately. To give my thoughts, I had him ranked as my top defenseman in the 2022 class and am very high on him as a player. I think he'd slot in to the 7 or 8 spot right around Edvinsson, a similar developing player who I think could also end up as a top pairing guy with the right growth.

Good list. Gritsyuk is a good one missing. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! just one year too old for my list! I'd have him around the 40-60 range if he'd have made it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't understand what Stramel has done to get on any "best of" list.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think Collin Graf & Bogdan Konyushkov deserve to be in the top 250.

Collin Graf (while 21) is hanging out with all the high entry draft selections at the top of the NCAA scoring.

Konyushkov is top 15 in dman scoring In the khl at 20 years old. Other than nikishin(22) the youngest in the top 15 is 23.

Reactions: ElQuebecois

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I think Collin Graf & Bogdan Konyushkov deserve to be in the top 250.

Collin Graf (while 21) is hanging out with all the high entry draft selections at the top of the NCAA scoring.

Konyushkov is top 15 in dman scoring In the khl at 20 years old. Other than nikishin(22) the youngest in the top 15 is 23.
Graf isn't affiliated with any NHL team! Never drafted or signed! Great college producer though and absolutely would warrant a spot if he was eligible.

Konyushkov is a valid shout, I'd agree that is likely on oversight on my part. Great production and just didn't think to include him.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Thanks for this. Appreciate all the work it took.

Wondering why you have the Sabres top prospects ranked Savoie, Kulich, then Ostlund?

I think Ostlund has the highest floor, i.e. is most likely to be an NHL regular, has the best all-around game of the 3, and is the best bet to stick at center. The Sabres really need to package up some picks and prospects to inject veteran leadership into the roster. Ostlund is the player I'd most hate to lose in a move like that.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Thanks for this. Appreciate all the work it took.

Wondering why you have the Sabres top prospects ranked Savoie, Kulich, then Ostlund?

I think Ostlund has the highest floor, i.e. is most likely to be an NHL regular, has the best all-around game of the 3, and is the best bet to stick at center. The Sabres really need to package up some picks and prospects to inject veteran leadership into the roster. Ostlund is the player I'd most hate to lose in a move like that.
Thank you!

Savoie is someone I had ranked 2nd in the class of 2022. I'm very high on him and his skillset, I think he just needs to learn pro hockey and he'll take off. Kulich and Ostlund have pro experience and are delivering good results so far but I'll take the chance on Savoie being a higher impact player right now. Ostlund may have the highest floor, but I don't think he has a very high ceiling in comparison. That's fair analysis however, Ostlund may be very valuable to your team. I think Kulich is also very likely to stick at center.
Gritsyuk is younger than Arshdeep Bains and Emil Martinsen Lilleberg
You're right. As I mentioned in the preface, there will be mistakes. Bains being undrafted and EML being an overager caused them to go under my radar when deleting players that are too old. Either way, Gritsyuk is not eligible.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad