Player Discussion Try to answer that question for fun

Which position's Top-3 will be this team's wealth?

• D-men : Chabot, Sanderson, Bernard-Docker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't decide, this is way too close between D-men and Wingers

• Can't decide, this is way too close between all 3 groups

• Total voters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Looking at this, I found myself in a real dilemma

Which part of our roster construction will be this team strength?

Centers : Stutzle, Norris, Pinto

Wingers : DeBrincat, Batherson, Tkachuk

D-men : Chabot, Sanderson, Bernard-Docker

Note : of course, this is assuming that DeBrincat extends long-term and that JBD becomes the 3rd best D-man. It also assumes that any other guy (ex : Greig) doesn't become better than any of these forwards

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Probably going with the Center group

Bernard Docker made the D group kind of weak, or else I wanted to go with them

Although Chabot and Sanderson combo is this teams wealth, hands down

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Probably going with the Center group

Bernard Docker made the D group kind of weak, or else I wanted to go with them

Although Chabot and Sanderson combo is this teams wealth, hands down

Yeah it sucks a bit because the D-men group is "a bit early" compared to the other positions...

I wonder if it should be Zub instead of JBD and if it would change the poll results

Seriously, our 3rd best D-man could eventually be any of Zub, JBD, Thomson, Kleven or even someone else.

You could probably edit this poll to say;

Chabot, Chychrun, Sanderson

And that would get my vote.

What? Done deal?

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Yeah it sucks a bit because the D-men group is "a bit early" compared to the other positions...

I wonder if it should be Zub instead of JBD and if it would change the poll results

Seriously, our 3rd best D-man could eventually be any of Zub, JBD, Thomson, Kleven or even someone else.

What? Done deal?

I've been buckled up for 2 months now. I can barely breathe.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well I was expecting results (so far) to be closer. I am sure you ask non-Sens fans and most would vote the Wingers, or even D-men because of name recognition

I mean, we are saying that our 3 centers will be better than a 24 y/o elite 40 goals scorer, a power forward unicorn and a guy that was near PPG last season.

We could say the same about vs a guy that is recognized as a top-15 D-man, a guy that is viewed as a top-3 prospect in the world and another prospect that made a name for himself in the NCAA and on Team Canada

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
I just want to add that this team's real strength is in one position. This guy:

1664816428441.png

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Pinto is the X factor down the middle for me, which has me split between C and W

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Centre depth is a massive boon for any team looking to establish itself.

Beyond what you mentioned, Giroux can also swap in as a C, so it really is an embarrassment of riches in the faceoff circle.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
You could probably edit this poll to say;

Chabot, Chychrun, Sanderson

And that would get my vote.
Just for fun, here's a 22 player roster for 2023-24 with Chychrun added.

The total cap hit is $84,974,000, so it's over the $83.5 m cap ceiling that was recently announced.

Zaitsev & his salary is gone/eliminated. I'll assume you (or we) wish to keep Debrincat (and his $9.0 m Qualifying Offer). Zub has been resigned. This roster includes a number of ELCs or league minimum types on defense, goal and 4th line. Signing bonuses have not been included.

1664820854470.png

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Depending who that 3rd D is but for now it's C's without question. JBD way too far back to make it close. You put in a competent top 4 like Zub and I likely pick them.

I have said it for a few times now:

Our offense may be deep, but we will win off our defense. If we want to win a cup, our defense will need to take us there. It is why I truly believe we are after Chychrun or we will go after another impact D.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think our centre depth is our strongest area right now. Norris and Stu are proven and can play against grown men. Pinto just needs to play and establish himself. Having prospects like Grieg, Ostapchuk and Kastelic who are all centres that excel at different parts of the game is awesome.

I think our wing depth is great too. Having play drivers like Batherson is good, but having a 40g threat in Cat and a physical monster in Brady is rare.

D is probably our weakest until Sanderson establishes himself.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
You need strength down the middle and that way Pinto is trending our depth is a luxury very few teams ever get to enjoy. They are so important to driving the overall play, including defensively.

Again, what a crazy time this is that we can discuss our all star W's vs our all star C's vs our all star D (no doubt JS will be an all star).

Reactions: Xspyrit

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Right now it's C

A lot can change between now and October 2023 though. I could see us trading DeBrincat for a defenceman , and moving Norris to the wing to make room for Pinto as 2C for example.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think its centers because we can withstand an injury by moving giroux into a center slot

Reactions: bicboi64

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hummmm .... DeBrincat as of right now is better than Stutzle, Basterson & Norris are probably a wash & Tkachuk at this time is the better player than Pinto.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not the results I expected!

I mean, Wingers are more proven than anybody else... It won't be easy to be better than these 3 but yet the poll makes the C position win this easily

Like OD99 said, crazy that we can discuss this

I think our centre depth is our strongest area right now. Norris and Stu are proven and can play against grown men. Pinto just needs to play and establish himself. Having prospects like Grieg, Ostapchuk and Kastelic who are all centres that excel at different parts of the game is awesome.

I think our wing depth is great too. Having play drivers like Batherson is good, but having a 40g threat in Cat and a physical monster in Brady is rare.

D is probably our weakest until Sanderson establishes himself.

The poll is asking "who will in the future?"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Most of the time, you win or lose on the strength down the middle. If our kids develop the way we hope they will, center should be our biggest strength.

Reactions: Blotto71

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
IMO Sanderson and Chabot will be top 3 of our most valuable players in a couple years. Chabot is currently 1. Sanderson might overtake or become top 3 soon. I expect Stutzle the other.

It's the D, but if we don't get a notable 3rd on D, Pinto will make it a debate between the D and C's.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
IMO Sanderson and Chabot will be top 3 of our most valuable players in a couple years. Chabot is currently 1. Sanderson might overtake or become top 3 soon. I expect Stutzle the other.

It's the D, but if we don't get a notable 3rd on D, Pinto will make it a debate between the D and C's.
To me Chabot is going to have to show his improved D game with lower minutes (presumably what is supposed to happen with a competent 2nd pairing and overall better slotting of players) before he becomes the #1 again.

He was a couple of years ago but with the firepower we have up front now I would say DeBrincat is the MVP, then maybe Chabot, if not Brady and then no questions Chabot would have to be 3.

I really want to see Chabot grow and mature his game to be a shut down D. His skating should allow him to be a top defender and the offense will always be there, but so far this season the D zone coverage has been awful. That needs to change, and he should be leading the way.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Giroux IMO is the guy who makes that second line so good, he is an excellent playmaker & reads the play very well. He is also excellent in the faceoff circle & plays a complete 200' game.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To me Chabot is going to have to show his improved D game with lower minutes (presumably what is supposed to happen with a competent 2nd pairing and overall better slotting of players) before he becomes the #1 again.

He was a couple of years ago but with the firepower we have up front now I would say DeBrincat is the MVP, then maybe Chabot, if not Brady and then no questions Chabot would have to be 3.

I really want to see Chabot grow and mature his game to be a shut down D. His skating should allow him to be a top defender and the offense will always be there, but so far this season the D zone coverage has been awful. That needs to change, and he should be leading the way.

Get ready to be surprised. Again.

This team will go as Chabot does. As it typically always does over large stints of meaningful hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad