Troubles at home

Who do you prefer? 2 choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I want to see Hunt get a shot, because I don´t think some of our defenders are good enough at the moment. So who do you think are the best of the listed players?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm torn, because i rate Addison as a PP guy, but otherwise am losing hope that he will ever figure it out. If we had another option of a guy to run the PP I would lose Addison in a second.

I would've said "yes" to Hunt last year, but he has had injury problems, and I've thought he had a sluggish start to the season. Would just as soon see ROR, who has noticeably improved over last year.

Reactions: Sweetnut

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm torn, because i rate Addison as a PP guy, but otherwise am losing hope that he will ever figure it out. If we had another option of a guy to run the PP I would lose Addison in a second.

I would've said "yes" to Hunt last year, but he has had injury problems, and I've thought he had a sluggish start to the season. Would just as soon see ROR, who has noticeably improved over last year.
I'm with you here. Addition in the offensive zone? Just fine... the very instant it leaves the offensive zone?

funny-bill-murray.gif

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Faber is skilled enough to run a PP in my humble opinion. But maybe it is too early in his NHL career.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Faber is skilled enough to run a PP in my humble opinion. But maybe it is too early in his NHL career.
My thought, too, but it would be weird as hell having him man the #1PP as a rookie in the NHL, when he didn't even play it in college.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Middleton is the best. But is very one dimensional.
Same can apply to Addison, very good offensive but a headache defensively.

I like Mermis but I doubt he'll ever be more than a #6/#7 guy.

Hunt is young, skilled, and seems to be a very good professional and needs to given a chance to develop and gain experience. While Middleton is the best, Hunt is the most exciting at this point and most NHL ready defensive prospect.

Now, all this argument is meaningless because the answer is simple: bench Merrill. For a supposingly defensive defenseman, who kind of sucks defensively for the last 1.5 seasons. He isn't a big hitter either, he doesn't have a shot, he's "EDIT: not" like a captain ... so what does he offer?

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Middleton is the obvious one.

I like that Merrill & Mermis have the athleticism to cover some ground and actually defend on their good days.

Addison is a complete liability and can’t be played IMO.

No idea with Hunt. I haven’t seen him enough to confidently project him as an NHLer like I could with Faber or can with Peart.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Middleton is the best. But is very one dimensional.
Same can apply to Addison, very good offensive but a headache defensively.

I like Mermis but I doubt he'll ever be more than a #6/#7 guy.

Hunt is young, skilled, and seems to be a very good professional and needs to given a chance to develop and gain experience. While Middleton is the best, Hunt is the most exciting at this point and most NHL ready defensive prospect.

Now, all this argument is meaningless because the answer is simple: bench Merrill. For a supposingly defensive defenseman, who kind of sucks defensively for the last 1.5 seasons. He isn't a big hitter either, he doesn't have a shot, he's like a captain ... so what does he offer?
Sometimes seems the Wild are trying to set a record for getting the most games possible from the 2010 draft.

Reactions: The Enemy Within

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I wouldn’t have any of these guys in my long term plans if I were GM. Hunt is the only one in my eyes with the possibility of changing that, if he takes big steps into the NHL. Most of these guys are playable as a rotating cast on the bottom pairing, but largely seem to be passengers. Soucy was a good #5 in my eyes, this selection is all #6 or worse at the moment to me.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
No idea with Hunt. I haven’t seen him enough to confidently project him as an NHLer like I could with Faber or can with Peart.
That is why he needs to get a look. He may rise to the occasion, who knows?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I wouldn’t have any of these guys in my long term plans if I were GM. Hunt is the only one in my eyes with the possibility of changing that, if he takes big steps into the NHL. Most of these guys are playable as a rotating cast on the bottom pairing, but largely seem to be passengers. Soucy was a good #5 in my eyes, this selection is all #6 or worse at the moment to me.
Agreed. While I am excited to see Hunt, I generally am prepared to downgrade all prospects but half a letter grade (or a full grade) from when they are projected to be when drafted to when they finally make it. NHL is hard to get to so be prepared to settle in a smaller role. So while it be nice for Hunt to be #4 guy, I think chances are he's just a #5/6 guy.

And I like Middleton and for his AAV but if you view him just skill-wise and not carried by Spurgeon, he's realistically a good #5 guy. A better Merrill. None of these guys are going to be long-term or at the very least, provide anything significant.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Agreed. While I am excited to see Hunt, I generally am prepared to downgrade all prospects but half a letter grade (or a full grade) from when they are projected to be when drafted to when they finally make it. NHL is hard to get to so be prepared to settle in a smaller role. So while it be nice for Hunt to be #4 guy, I think chances are he's just a #5/6 guy.

And I like Middleton and for his AAV but if you view him just skill-wise and not carried by Spurgeon, he's realistically a good #5 guy. A better Merrill. None of these guys are going to be long-term or at the very least, provide anything significant.
Yes, I am being overly harsh on Middleton here as I think he’s generally ok, but it’s been a dreadful start for him so my tolerance levels are low.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Middleton's 3 pt. game has us all confused.

Thing is, Merrill is somewhat tradable, as he has a low cap hit. As a 6/7 LHD, is he really all that valuable, considering that Mermis has looked ok in that role, Hunt/ROR are probably ready, and Goligoski is still kicking around? It's not like we'd save a ton moving him in favor of the AHL'ers, but I also don't see that he offers anything besides more length.... great locker room guy, of course.

When it's all said and done, though, the reason this team is losing is not because of our 6/7 Dmen. Our top forward line is irresponsible, and some of our our middle six guys are looking slow and untalented, and we are missing two of our best players.

Reactions: MNRube and Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Mermis is starting to grow on me. He is definitely better than Merrill and Addison. I don´t know how the maths work in his case, is there any way we can keep him up when Spurge is back in the lineup? I´m thinking about the Sweden trip

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00