Value of: Trouba

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So sounds like he may be out the door

What are they Jets looking for in return ? Can they take salary back ?

Need a 1st , rd , plus back ? Wondering the cost
I know he doesn't want Canada, but this is a fantasy site, so as a Leafs fan, i would be very interested.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know he doesn't want Canada, but this is a fantasy site, so as a Leafs fan, i would be very interested.

The only caveat here is that a lot of American guys seem to like Toronto. Kessel re-upped for 8 years, JVR wanted to re-sign, and Gardiner would come back but Leafs are cap strapped.

I don't think Trouba ends up in Toronto though, as much as I would like to add him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Where does trouba want to play id like him in ana.... but i feel like hed unlikely rewign

Nobody knows for certain where he does or does not want to play. It is all just speculation.
The most obvious place is Florida. His GF goes to school in the area and he owns a condo nearby. Second choice would probably be other teams close to that location.
There is speculation that he wants to play at home in Detroit. Personally, I don't see a lot of indication of that.
I also don't think that Canada is out of the picture. I think he wants a big city, major market. Just a pure guess, but I doubt he would want Montreal. That leaves Toronto as a possibility.

I think NY would suit him. So would Philly. I don't know if NY would include NYI and NJD or not. Dallas might be OK and so might California. Not particularly close to his GF, but big cities, nice climates. Vegas has the bright lights and tax advantages. It has good travel connections to just about everywhere. He might like that.

I think money is a big part of it for him too. Wherever he goes, I don't think he signs any team friendly contract.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Nobody knows for certain where he does or does not want to play. It is all just speculation.
The most obvious place is Florida. His GF goes to school in the area and he owns a condo nearby. Second choice would probably be other teams close to that location.
There is speculation that he wants to play at home in Detroit. Personally, I don't see a lot of indication of that.
I also don't think that Canada is out of the picture. I think he wants a big city, major market. Just a pure guess, but I doubt he would want Montreal. That leaves Toronto as a possibility.

I think NY would suit him. So would Philly. I don't know if NY would include NYI and NJD or not. Dallas might be OK and so might California. Not particularly close to his GF, but big cities, nice climates. Vegas has the bright lights and tax advantages. It has good travel connections to just about everywhere. He might like that.

I think money is a big part of it for him too. Wherever he goes, I don't think he signs any team friendly contract.

Dallas does check off a lot of the things on the "list"; big metroplex, good climate, great flight hub.
What would a potential deal with DAL look like?
Would Jets even deal him within division?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
They will be massively disappointed. 2C and a top 4 RD and a 1st? Combo or not those are highly valuable pieces that many would want. And you wouldn’t really trade a young top 4D to get a young top 4 D. Likely you need both.

Gudas + 2020 1st lotto protected + B prospect
You would probably need to upgrade Gudas to have a chance. Young #1 RHD aren't cheap.

Most fans of other teams mistakenly think they'll get Trouba for less than what they would pay for him as a pure rental. That won't happen.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
So what do you think a 25 year old top pairing RHD who just had a 50 point season while playing a shutdown role IS worth?

I think WPG doesn't have much leverage here.
Would you rather they trade him for some reasonable assets or
have a Panarin like situation where he walks when he can?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They will be massively disappointed. 2C and a top 4 RD and a 1st? Combo or not those are highly valuable pieces that many would want. And you wouldn’t really trade a young top 4D to get a young top 4 D. Likely you need both.

Gudas + 2020 1st lotto protected + B prospect

Nobody said Jets fans expect 2C + top 4 RD + a 1st. We are looking for those things in one way or another. It could be done with prospects. A prospective 2C or top 4 RD has a lot less value than proven ones.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Someone on the Wings board posted this:

Edmonton:
Mantha + 6 OA

Detroit:
Trouba + 8 OA

Winnipeg:
RNH

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Getting one more season and letting him walk is an acceptable alternative to selling him for rental value. If that is all we get then he is worth keeping as an own rental.

Jets will allow serious bidders to negotiate with him ahead of time. They will effectively be getting a signed Trouba and will have to pay accordingly. He is not being given away.

Reactions: Snowman

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think a good starting point for trade value is to look at the Paccioretty situation. A top line player that was known to be on the outs with his team. Then consider Trouba is younger and plays a more important and difficult to find position. A top prospect, a good top 6 forward and a 2nd round pick.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Guy is a top 2 way D, physical, and just up 50 pts. He just turned 25 and has 8 yrs of prime years in front of him.

Ppl can say, “oh a late first something small maybe” is all he’s worth. But go look at how many guys like Trouba become available for trade. They don’t. You have to draft them the vast majority of the time.

Someone will pay a premium for him because they will be confident they can convince him to sign. Also, this is Chevy, not Chia or Dorion.

Look at all the doom and gloom predictions ppl were making for Kane back when he was a Jet too- “ohhh he’s underachiever, he’s injury prone, he’s not that good, he’s a locker room cancer, he’s a prima donna, no one likes him, he wants a trade out... you’re gonna be so disappointed with what he’s REALLY worth.”

Lol

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think a good starting point for trade value is to look at the Paccioretty situation. A top line player that was known to be on the outs with his team. Then consider Trouba is younger and plays a more important and difficult to find position. A top prospect, a good top 6 forward and a 2nd round pick.

So Tatar was in that deal as part of the value and not just because Vegas needed to move money out? The same Tatar that put up 34 pts in 82 games and was a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs? I think you’re remembering that deal wrong. It was universally crapped on at the time. Tatar completely salvaged the trade for them, but he was strictly a cap dump at the time.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dallas does check off a lot of the things on the "list"; big metroplex, good climate, great flight hub.
What would a potential deal with DAL look like?
Would Jets even deal him within division?

I think they would deal with Dallas for the right return. Not sure what it would look like.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So Tatar was in that deal as part of the value and not just because Vegas needed to move money out? The same Tatar that put up 34 pts in 82 games and was a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs? I think you’re remembering that deal wrong. It was universally crapped on at the time. Tatar completely salvaged the trade for them, but he was strictly a cap dump at the time.
Tatar was terrible in Vegas and yes it was a cap dump of sorts. But he was/is a decent forward (maybe "good" was too strong a word or maybe should have called him a good 2nd/3rd liner?). And Trouba is more valuable than Pacioretty. So a high end prospect, a replacement player (so Jets could seek a 2nd pairing D), and a 2nd round pick should be a starting point.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad