Trouba traded to NYR

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Yes it stings - but he played hard here, and well. He met his obligations.

The trade return is another story. It was crap and we don't really know why. Something about KO poisoning the market but nothing very specific.

He was tampering which legally he's not allowed to do. The NHL likely knows it, but couldn't be damned to do anything about it. That's how this continues to happen and it's disgusting.

Both him and Trouba should be held accountable.

Reactions: ERYX

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was tampering which legally he's not allowed to do. The NHL likely knows it, but couldn't be damned to do anything about it. That's how this continues to happen and it's disgusting.

Both him and Trouba should be held accountable.

Trouba was an RFA. They are allowed to talk to other teams so it isn't tampering.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Trouba was an RFA. They are allowed to talk to other teams so it isn't tampering.

I'm fully aware he was RFA. Unless I'm mistaken, RFAs can only talk during the interview period and after. This trade happened before this period. It was also stated that the agent was not given permission to discuss terms with teams.

Is that not tampering?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm fully aware he was RFA. Unless I'm mistaken, RFAs can only talk during the interview period and after. This trade happened before this period. It was also stated that the agent was not given permission to discuss terms with teams.

Is that not tampering?

Right you are.
Not only can't talk to teams but can't say anything publicly that would amount to sending a message to teams, etc.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Sorry, you probably took some leftover vitriol after someone's Loserpeg comment got my blood boiling.
Loserpeg isnt my invention, it's an old slur, Google it (maybe you know this already). Sorry for getting your blood boiling, I just cant see it as "rejection," personally, when an athlete wants to pursue employment somewhere other than here. Especially one who made it known pretty early on that he'd rather not be here. For me, I'd rather he go be where he wants to be. He put in his time.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was using the military as an example of a nomadic lifestyle. Since the draft in the U.S. is no longer mandated (and hasn't been for years), joining it is not considered being against your will. However, you cannot expect that you can be based in a location of your choosing for family reasons. The world of major league sports is nomadic by nature. Athletes cannot expect to dictate where they're going to live since careers are generally not that long. Otherwise, maybe players should only be allowed to play for teams in the region where they were born or grew up. Therefore, if you were from New York you play for New York or if you were from Winnipeg you play for Winnipeg. At least that way you would play with a sense of pride rather than resentment.

But players are allowed to choose where they play. They have to pay a price to get access to that choice. They get limited access to it as RFA's and much less limited access to it as UFA's. Its right in their contract.

The price they pay to get that is, 1) whatever was surrendered during CBA negotiations to get those rights and 2) probably lower earnings at some point along to path to FA and/or giving up the security of a guaranteed long term contract.

If they choose to take that path, they are entirely within their rights to get the freedom to choose where they play.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Arguing about how big of a dick Trouba is on the Internet is not a hill I want to die on but I’m shocked how many people not only defend his pettiness but actually think it’s clever and funny.

He just signed a contract that is larger than the biggest amount possible to win on lotto max and, right after he did that, he was petty enough to pull up a 3 year old photograph of a sign from a single fan in Winnipeg as a clever way to shove it in their face. He might as well have added the caption “Look who is making more money now, *****”, because almost assuredly that is the subtext.

It IS true that Trouba “won”, but it is equally true that posting that picture makes him a classless winner. Sorry if that rustles anyone’s jimmies.

P.S. There is no apt analogy to be drawn between Trouba being “forced” to play in Winnipeg for 6 years and regular folks trying to carve out a regular existence and having to move to wherever the work is to make that possible.

I'm as shocked as you are but by the pettiness of people here making such a big deal out of Trouba posting that pic.

I agree, that is exactly what he is saying. So what?

Reactions: KCjetsfan

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm as shocked as you are but by the pettiness of people here making such a big deal out of Trouba posting that pic.

I agree, that is exactly what he is saying. So what?

Firstly, I want to say I really don't give a shit about Trouba posting the pic because not only was it already painfully apparent about this guys personality and attitude, but also because he's no longer a Jet.

My only point about the picture is that is clearly shows what kind of person he is. To hold onto that for three f***ing years shows how emotionally stunted the guy is. It also just confirms what is already known about the guy.

Reactions: GNP and ERYX

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
No doubt it was right after he was drafted. Why hold on to players that clearly don't want to be here? There will always be guys, that just don't want to play where they are drafted to. It doesn't bother me at all that they didn't like it here. Jets brass dropped the ball, when they didn't move them when they should have, and now you have newly acquired Pionk, going to salary arbitration.

Yes, he did play hard, but I won't miss him. Father whipped, and p***y whipped..... See ya!

Jets got years of good play from Trouba at a deeply discounted price. Silly to trade players like him unless you get fair value.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm thinking we might see a Trouba jersey flung onto the ice when the Rangers are in town. It's a dumb thing to do for a couple of reasons but still... it would make me smile. :thumbu:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jets got years of good play from Trouba at a deeply discounted price. Silly to trade players like him unless you get fair value.

I'd say we got pretty good value out of that asset. We got the best value he will ever be (cost vs. performance). I'd love to see a calculation that shows what a player brings vs. what he's paid. On top of that, we got Pionk and Heinola... a player for now and a player for the future. We also got what will likely turn out to be 5MM in cap relief when we desperately need it. Finally, we got that attitude off of our team.

People were so linear and unfair in assessing the deal. When you look at it holistically this was a good deal for the Jets. Of course, as with every deal, we will need to see how the 3 players in the deal perform moving forward to really assess it, but considering all parts of this deal, not just TROUBA FOR PIONK AND THE 20TH DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE IT WAS OURS IN THE FIRST PLACE AND CHEVY SHOULD HAVE NEVER DONE THAT DEAL, it looks a lot more sensible.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'd say we got pretty good value out of that asset. We got the best value he will ever be (cost vs. performance). I'd love to see a calculation that shows what a player brings vs. what he's paid. On top of that, we got Pionk and Heinola... a player for now and a player for the future. We also got what will likely turn out to be 5MM in cap relief when we desperately need it. Finally, we got that attitude off of our team.

People were so linear and unfair in assessing the deal. When you look at it holistically this was a good deal for the Jets. Of course, as with every deal, we will need to see how the 3 players in the deal perform moving forward to really assess it, but considering all parts of this deal, not just TROUBA FOR PIONK AND THE 20TH DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE IT WAS OURS IN THE FIRST PLACE AND CHEVY SHOULD HAVE NEVER DONE THAT DEAL, it looks a lot more sensible.

Yeah, people who tie the Trouba deal with the TDL deal are bereft of logic lol.

Reactions: Jet

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I dont have a problem with Trouba wanting to go to the U.S. to benefit his fiancee. I do have a problem with him holding the Jets captive to 1 team.
Based on Troubas play I would say $7M is the max I'd pay for him. Upcoming UFA helped boost that contract.

Reactions: ERYX

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Firstly, I want to say I really don't give a **** about Trouba posting the pic because not only was it already painfully apparent about this guys personality and attitude, but also because he's no longer a Jet.

My only point about the picture is that is clearly shows what kind of person he is. To hold onto that for three ****ing years shows how emotionally stunted the guy is. It also just confirms what is already known about the guy.

:laugh: Don't really disagree with this - except I think it is being multiplied several times its weight.

People are talking about that pic as though he had kept it handy on his desktop for the last 3 years, counting the days until he would be able to toss it back in our faces. I doubt that very much.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
:laugh: Don't really disagree with this - except I think it is being multiplied several times its weight.

People are talking about that pic as though he had kept it handy on his desktop for the last 3 years, counting the days until he would be able to toss it back in our faces. I doubt that very much.

Knowing a lot of background on Jacob Trouba, I wouldn't doubt it :laugh::laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You make some good points here Jet. I think it was a poor deal in terms of absolute market value but just looking at it in your terms, we will probably be better off in the long run. I think we should have moved him years earlier for much better return but then we would not have had him in those intervening years.

If we had moved him 2 or 4 years ago (not 3), the return would have developed and been ready to contribute now so that also needs to be considered. But all of those 'might have beens' are very speculative. Right now he is gone, his cap hit is gone and we have Pionk and Heinola. If Heinola pans out and Pionk starts to live up to his early promise this deal will start looking pretty good. Sure wish we had got a conditional 1st included though. :nod:

Reactions: Jet

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Loserpeg isnt my invention, it's an old slur, Google it (maybe you know this already). Sorry for getting your blood boiling, I just cant see it as "rejection," personally, when an athlete wants to pursue employment somewhere other than here. Especially one who made it known pretty early on that he'd rather not be here. For me, I'd rather he go be where he wants to be. He put in his time.

I have no problem with a player going to a city he wants to play in, my issue is with how Trouba went about doing it. I'm sure there was a way for him to get to NYR without screwing over Winnipeg the way he did by way of shenanigans like letting it be known he would sit out if traded anywhere other than NYC, or sitting out and publicly demanding a trade a few years ago which surely diminished his return greatly since other GMs then knew the Jets were dealing from a position of weakness.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It's a small arrow you click in the middle right of the picture.

Or someone could have taken a screen shot...

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 12.26.24 PM.png

Notable comments from Adam Lowry "Troubapalooza"

Andrew Copp "People don't forget"

Brenda Lemieux "This is savage. Congratulations buddy.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad