Trouba goes Superman!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Of course not. Trouba plays reckless and hard and sometimes crosses the line. This just ain't it. If anything, Trouba took more punishment from this play than Necas did. And a bunch of people (some of whom are clearly biased- not you as far as I know) on hfboards complaining about him doesn't speak as loudly as the complete and utter silence from the nhl disciplinarians. Cue the 'the DoPS is a joke' comments. Which they are, but they hold a lot more weight than posters on a message board.

As @Gardner McKay already stated in this or the other thread started about this incident, Trouba is a detriment to the Rangers. A suspension would most likely be beneficial to the Rangers, but he doesn't deserve one for this phantom hit.

Sure. Nothing reckless about this. It's just simple physics. Like back when we had Pronger physics to justify his dirty plays. Then there was Torres physics. Now there's Rempe physics too.

He's not trying to catch Necas with an elbow here. It's just science.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 5.35.25 PM.png

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Because people recognize that he's a dirty p.o.s. that means he's living rent free in their heads? Ok then.

"Rent free" is often used here as a distraction tactic from the indefensible.

I'm guessing like most people here, I have zero thoughts about Trouba until I see a thread on hfboards with a clip of another dirty hit, or in this case a wildly dirty hit attempt that thankfully missed. And I say that as someone who has posted in a thread defending one of his clean hard hits. I don't even dislike the Rangers. There's many teams in the East I wouldn't want to win the Cup. They're not one of them.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
"Rent free" is often used here as a distraction tactic from the indefensible.

I'm guessing like most people here, I have zero thoughts about Trouba until I see a thread on hfboards with a clip of another dirty hit, or in this case a wildly dirty hit attempt that thankfully missed. And I say that as someone who has posted in a thread defending one of his clean hard hits. I don't even dislike the Rangers. There's many teams in the East I wouldn't want to win the Cup. They're not one of them.
Exactly. I don't ever think of him until I see something like the flying Superman elbow he attempted.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
hahaha I am not going to lie, I thought a pommel horse was one of those little horse outside grocery stores you put a quarter in and let kids bounce up and down for a few minutes on them.
:laugh: Totally could be one of those manual spring-powered ones also.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Never forget. Trouba concussed Crosby to giftwrap the Rags the win against Pens in the playoffs. He did it with a WINGED out Elbow too. Going into Game 5, Pens were leading the series 3-1. Trouba takes out Crosby with INTENT, rags come all the way back and take it in 7.

At the time people thought it was an accident. I didn’t buy it then and I definately don’t buy it now.

There should be no surprise and no question what he was trying to do to Necas here. The winged elbow was deliberate attempt to take out a star player, as it was when he took out Crosby. This is him making an impact in the playoffs.

Let's walk through that game

Trouba elbows Guentzal in the head his first shift of the game and takes an elbowing penalty
Zibanejad slashes Crosby in the face, no penalty
Miller boards Crosby from behind, no penalty
Crosby throws a big clean hit on Fox
Trouba gets angry, elbows Crosby in the head, no penalty

Troubas elbow was intentional, he and the Rangers spent the game trying to take out Crosby

In the off season, Trouba was named captain of the Rangers. The Rangers players in interviews pointed to that game as one of the reasons for that. Trouba isn't just doing what he wants, he's doing what he's been trained and pushed to do by his teammates. His elbow is the Rangers secondary emblem.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Let's walk through that game

Trouba elbows Guentzal in the head his first shift of the game and takes an elbowing penalty
Zibanejad slashes Crosby in the face, no penalty
Miller boards Crosby from behind, no penalty
Crosby throws a big clean hit on Fox
Trouba gets angry, elbows Crosby in the head, no penalty

Troubas elbow was intentional, he and the Rangers spent the game trying to take out Crosby

In the off season, Trouba was named captain of the Rangers. The Rangers players in interviews pointed to that game as one of the reasons for that. Trouba isn't just doing what he wants, he's doing what he's been trained and pushed to do by his teammates. His elbow is the Rangers secondary emblem.

Not to nitpick but I'm pretty sure the elbow the Ranger's secondary emblem belongs to Messier. Trouba is just trying to carry on the tradition.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Necas ducks the hit and Trouba flies over him expecting resistance.

Standing by for everyone to vilify Trouba. Maybe take contact like a man and stay on your feet if you're worried about an errant skate hitting you in the head
I think you should record a vid for us how to take it like a man

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take a Trouba on my team every day, over some dweeb whose response to an incoming hit is literally, "duck and cover" just collapsing the ice like their spine liquified at the prospect of heavy contact.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not to nitpick but I'm pretty sure the elbow the Ranger's secondary emblem belongs to Messier. Trouba is just trying to carry on the tradition.

Were you even around for 90's and 2000's hockey? It was loads nastier than the game is today. Lindros got concussed out of the league but he probably concussed several dozen players before his career ended. Scott Stevens? Matt Cooke? Pronger? Samuelsson? Kasparaitas? Chelios?....and every team in the league had 3 or 4 guys who could seriously throw them if not more. Messier definitely was a dirty player. So what? Could categorize a couple hundred other NHL'ers from his era that way too if not more. It was jungle warfare all the time. You might want to take a look at the video where Roenick describes how he knocked out Modano and then he tells how in the next game Derian Hatcher broke his jaw in several places with a flying elbow a second or so after Craig Ludwig had broken his thumb with a slash. And Roenick laughs about it all.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Were you even around for 90's and 2000's hockey? It was loads nastier than the game is today. Lindros got concussed out of the league but he probably concussed several dozen players before his career ended. Scott Stevens? Matt Cooke? Pronger? Samuelsson? Kasparaitas? Chelios?....and every team in the league had 3 or 4 guys who could seriously throw them if not more. Messier definitely was a dirty player. So what? Could categorize a couple hundred other NHL'ers from his era that way too if not more. It was jungle warfare all the time. You might want to take a look at the video where Roenick describes how he knocked out Modano and then he tells how in the next game Derian Hatcher broke his jaw in several places with a flying elbow a second or so after Craig Ludwig had broken his thumb with a slash. And Roenick laughs about it all.

Yes I know about all that. I was around for 80s hockey too. It doesn't change that even among the more rough and tumble era, Messier stands out as someone who threw dirty elbows throughout his career. More than Matt Cooke.

People go on and on about Scott Stevens but he mostly threw legal devastating hits. Mess was a much dirtier player than Stevens.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I've fallen forward a lot in my life and I've never tried to brace myself by throwing only my left elbow fully extended outward.

Maybe I'm weird, but I've always extended my arms forward to minimize impact to my head.

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
obviously if Necas didnt embellish the dive Trouba wouldnt have gotten in such a pickle, should the league suspend Necas?
View attachment 867057
3 decades playing and I don't think I ever ended up in a position like Trouba.

The only time I recall looking like that was after I told my wife I didn't like her cooking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad