Rumor: Trouba for Kadri Rumour (Winnipeg Sun)

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Just saw this in my news feed ...

Jets should target Kadri: Talented, feisty centre could fill prominent role

Seems actually more like wild speculation than rumour, but what the heck, it's the off-season and we can only beat the dead horses that are the Laine and Maurice threads so much. Just wondering what peoples' thoughts are?

I actually don't mind Kadri, I think he could be a solid 3C with some jump and grit.

My biggest concern is his penchant for flying off the handle and doing stupid stuff, like his suspension this playoffs and last. Although it seems to be Boston where he loses it and he'd face them rarely here. He's got three years left I believe at $4.1 million ... do we want to be paying our 3C that much?

I'm on the fence. Seems intriguing and would rather discuss this than nothing or the same old. What do others think?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I’d do it and I would add Kapanen and a pick to it but I don’t think Jets fans will do it.
don't think we are good trading partners with Toronto tbh.

Maybe if Liljegren and/or Sandin are coming back but Leafs need (ELC) Dmen too. I am not sure if they re-sign Muzzin after this year, Gardiner and Hainsey might be gone this off-season with Dermott out for 6 months.... They'll need Liljegren or Sandin to hit and potentially be prepares top 4 roles. No real interest in Kapanen as we're very strong in top 6 wingers.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
don't think we are good trading partners with Toronto tbh.

Maybe if Liljegren and/or Sandin are coming back but Leafs need (ELC) Dmen too. I am not sure if they re-sign Muzzin after this year, Gardiner and Hainsey might be gone this off-season with Dermott out for 6 months.... They'll need Liljegren or Sandin to hit and potentially be prepares top 4 roles. No real interest in Kapanen as we're very strong in top 6 wingers.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Toronto fan here, coming in peace.

I see a number of challenges with this article, but some interesting opportunity as well.

The Jets have had enviable RHD depth the last few years, while my Leafs can't seem to find a deal, or the right UFA guy. There is simply a shortage of good RHD in the league. I can't imagine that it's a good thought, having the possibility of Myers leave to UFA, and then Trouba potentially a year later.

I appreciate that you'd want more back than Kadri, or a better single piece, but I also wonder about your RHD.

Challenges.. would Kadri waive to go to Winnipeg? Would Trouba waive to go to Toronto, and sign a long-term deal? That's pretty complicated..

but..

We can include Zaitsev if desired... he's an interesting player. At times, he hasn't looked very good for the Leafs, at other times he's looked very good. I don't know if it's the Leafs systems, or the player. In his first year, he looked decent, and put up decent offensive numbers. His second year, less so. This past year, he started out poorly, and then played pretty good the second half of the season, and played very well in the playoffs. But, his offense dried up for some reason. Again, I don't know if it's the system that the Leafs have employed, or if he's figuring out the NHL game, but he's looked much better as of late. Then the WHC, and I don't know if you watched, but his play in the WHC was excellent. He was a leader at zone exits, moving the puck through the neutral zone, and drove offense at times... only 4 points in 10 games, but he looked much better than that. That could be the larger ice, giving him more time to make good decisions, or it could be playing a system more suited to his style.

Maybe you hate the idea, and I apologize if so.. but it is a possible solution, to losing two RHD, that includes a 2C as well..

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I see a number of challenges with this article, but some interesting opportunity as well.

The Jets have had enviable RHD depth the last few years, while my Leafs can't seem to find a deal, or the right UFA guy. There is simply a shortage of good RHD in the league. I can't imagine that it's a good thought, having the possibility of Myers leave to UFA, and then Trouba potentially a year later.

I appreciate that you'd want more back than Kadri, or a better single piece, but I also wonder about your RHD.

Challenges.. would Kadri waive to go to Winnipeg? Would Trouba waive to go to Toronto, and sign a long-term deal? That's pretty complicated..

but..

We can include Zaitsev if desired... he's an interesting player. At times, he hasn't looked very good for the Leafs, at other times he's looked very good. I don't know if it's the Leafs systems, or the player. In his first year, he looked decent, and put up decent offensive numbers. His second year, less so. This past year, he started out poorly, and then played pretty good the second half of the season, and played very well in the playoffs. But, his offense dried up for some reason. Again, I don't know if it's the system that the Leafs have employed, or if he's figuring out the NHL game, but he's looked much better as of late. Then the WHC, and I don't know if you watched, but his play in the WHC was excellent. He was a leader at zone exits, moving the puck through the neutral zone, and drove offense at times... only 4 points in 10 games, but he looked much better than that. That could be the larger ice, giving him more time to make good decisions, or it could be playing a system more suited to his style.

Maybe you hate the idea, and I apologize if so.. but it is a possible solution, to losing two RHD, that includes a 2C as well..

Trouba doesn’t need to waive......he has zero control/rights where he is traded. Only control he has is if he resigns with the new team.

Losing Myers to UFA? Jets aren’t losing Myers to UFA, they’re booting him out the door. Confirmed fact Chevy still hasn’t place a single call to Myers or his agent about extending......bc there is zero interest in him.

Zaitsev is a interesting case, I do believe he’s being used wrong by the Leafs.....buts that hard to validate. Any GM is going to have a hard time validating that.

Kadri - While he’s a bit more valuable then Little IMO he doesn’t offer a significant enough upgrade to pay the acquisition cost. Plus factor is Kadri discipline issues I think many would pass. Chemistry wise Kadri is also too similar to Little to improve the play of his dynamic wingers and gel with them.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

but..

Trouba doesn't have any sort of clause on his contract. Those are only eligible to be put on for UFA years.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Trouba doesn’t need to waive......he has zero control/rights where he is traded. Only control he has is if he resigns with the new team.

Losing Myers to UFA? Jets aren’t losing Myers to UFA, they’re booting him out the door. Confirmed fact Chevy still hasn’t place a single call to Myers or his agent about extending......bc there is zero interest in him.

Zaitsev is a interesting case, I do believe he’s being used wrong by the Leafs.....buts that hard to validate. Any GM is going to have a hard time validating that.

Kadri - While he’s a bit more valuable then Little IMO he doesn’t offer a significant enough upgrade to pay the acquisition cost. Plus factor is Kadri discipline issues I think many would pass. Chemistry wise Kadri is also too similar to Little to improve the play of his dynamic wingers and gel with them.

My apologies... I shouldn't have used the term waive, incorrect usage there... I meant, would Trouba be willing to go there, and sign long-term.... too many other thoughts in my head today. Fair enough on Myers. Cheers

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
My apologies... I shouldn't have used the term waive, incorrect usage there... I meant, would Trouba be willing to go there, and sign long-term.... too many other thoughts in my head today. Fair enough on Myers. Cheers

Now b/c you are a Leafs fan who came to our board.....I do think there is a trade that would interest many/some Jets fans.....but the base isn’t around Kadri. Think Sandin++, then you would have interest on the Jets board (I think).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Now b/c you are a Leafs fan who came to our board.....I do think there is a trade that would interest many/some Jets fans.....but the base isn’t around Kadri. Think Sandin++, then you would have interest on the Jets board (I think).

Sandin has excelled offensively for us with the Marlies. I think he's a year away from being NHL ready, and still has to improve his defensive decision making, but I think he's going to be a good one. That's a tough deal to make, given we need cost controlled contracts too, but I'd understand why it might be the ask, though I'd wonder what the ++ was. Whether it was this deal, or another, Toronto needs to shed cap somehow to fit in an extended Trouba.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Sandin has excelled offensively for us with the Marlies. I think he's a year away from being NHL ready, and still has to improve his defensive decision making, but I think he's going to be a good one. That's a tough deal to make, given we need cost controlled contracts too, but I'd understand why it might be the ask, though I'd wonder what the ++ was. Whether it was this deal, or another, Toronto needs to shed cap somehow to fit in an extended Trouba.

To be clear I think Chevy goal is to get at least one roster player to fill either 2C or top 4 RHD on a long term (Ideally) or bridge solution (plus futures) to win now. But if a good deal isn’t out there at this time that fits that.....then he will go full on futures based deal.

Sandin++ would fall in the futures based deal group. Jets can’t take any dumps back, so any roster player needs to fill a role or would result in more trades to reduce cap/fill needs. I’m guessing Sandin, 1st and “x”........not sure what x would be. Kadri would be too much/ or best fit, Jets don’t need more wingers so KK/J is out unless there was more trades done (I do like KK though). So in the end I’m not sure what x would be that fills a need and would be fair to both teams. Leafs have no great centre prospects to offer as x.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
To be clear I think Chevy goal is to get at least one roster player to fill either 2C or top 4 RHD on a long term (Ideally) or bridge solution (plus futures) to win now. But if a good deal isn’t out there at this time that fits that.....then he will go full on futures based deal.

Sandin++ would fall in the futures based deal group. Jets can’t take any dumps back, so any roster player needs to fill a role or would result in more trades to reduce cap/fill needs. I’m guessing Sandin, 1st and “x”........not sure what x would be. Kadri would be too much/ or best fit, Jets don’t need more wingers so KK/J is out unless there was more trades done (I do like KK though). So in the end I’m not sure what x would be that fills a need and would be fair to both teams. Leafs have no great centre prospects to offer as x.

Forget great C prospects, we don't have any C prospects at all. I mean, maybe some guys who could contribute at the AHL level one day... if they are signed, but that's it. There doesn't appear to be much fit with both teams, but thanks for the conversation anyway.

Reactions: Hunter368

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Can't see Trouba going to Toronto as he's not going to sign there likely.

But I might be one of the few here who would acquire Kadri for the right price (and I loath the guy). It would have to be the right price though, and not the haul the Leaf fans on the trade boards are looking for.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Can't see Trouba going to Toronto as he's not going to sign there likely.

But I might be one of the few here who would acquire Kadri for the right price (and I loath the guy). It would have to be the right price though, and not the haul the Leaf fans on the trade boards are looking for.

I agree, he would be a good 3C imo......but I wouldn’t want to trade Trouba for him.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
See all over media, on cell now. Well covered locally and in TSN.....even Myers stated publicly zero contract talks.

But the second part of that sentence (about having zero interest) is your conjecture, right? Chevy just might have bigger fish to fry at the moment. That's sort of a cabin at the lake joke, but not entirely. :)

Reactions: Halberdier

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba would be the ideal fit in Toronto. If they could somehow get him it would be a home run for Dubas., so if Trouba is willing to re-sign in TO then the Jets have to aim for something better than Kadri. It's not that Kadri isn't a good player, but there are just too many question marks about his maturity, upside, etc. to make him the core of a trade for Trouba to TO. To be honest, I would prefer to go entirely for value rather than positional fit, and then re-arrange pieces later. So, for example, I think Nylander and a prospect would be a better return than Kadri +, mainly because I think Nylander still has higher market value than Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad