Confirmed with Link: Trotz will not return as caps coach

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I was more intrigued that the Caps let him out of his contract to stay in division than his resignation.

Reactions: Hivemind

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The raise wouldn't keep him even remotely on pace with the ballooning of top coaches salaries since he signed his original contract, though. While he would have been paid more than some of the lower profile guys like Travis Green and Bob Boughner, he would have been making a fraction of what Claude Julien, Joel Queneville, and Todd McLellan make (let alone Babcock's ubercontract). He would have even been making less than the NCAA hires like Dave Hakstol and David Quinn.

Coaches - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Yeah, I knew that. But it was a raise, negotiated in good faith on the basis of winning a Cup. That the market moved in the interim isn't GMBM or the franchise's fault and so shouldn't factor into the evaluation of how they handled Trotz this offseason. I really don't see where they did anything wrong.

It wasnt just about the money. The writing was on the wall. If Trotz decided to stay here, he was going to get fired. Do you guys not get it?
They won a Cup. Unless they completely collapsed he was absolutely NOT getting fired. This is totally made up.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, I knew that. But it was a raise, negotiated in good faith on the basis of winning a Cup. That the market moved in the interim isn't GMBM or the franchise's fault and so shouldn't factor into the evaluation of how they handled Trotz this offseason. I really don't see where they did anything wrong.

They won a Cup. Unless they completely collapsed he was absolutely NOT getting fired. This is totally made up.
My implication wasn't intended to be that the Caps did anything wrong, but rather than Trotz was justified in thinking he should get paid more for his accomplishments.

Trotz was entirely within his rights to think he was worth more as a coach (and the Islanders would eventually prove him right on that front). The Capitals were also entirely within their right to not be willing to pay a coach that much, and even went so far as to release him from his contract rather than turn the situation into an ugly contract dispute.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My implication wasn't intended to be that the Caps did anything wrong, but rather than Trotz was justified in thinking he should get paid more for his accomplishments.

Trotz was entirely within his rights to think he was worth more as a coach (and the Islanders would eventually prove him right on that front). The Capitals were also entirely within their right to not be willing to pay a coach that much, and even went so far as to release him from his contract rather than turn the situation into an ugly contract dispute.

Based on standard operating procedures in sports where lame duck coaches don't work out the final year of their deal. They are either extended or replaced. In this case because of the clause the Caps chose to let Trotz work his last year. He would not have come close to the contract he has now had Leonsis decided to go the SOP route.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It wasnt just about the money. The writing was on the wall. If Trotz decided to stay here, he was going to get fired. Do you guys not get it?

Everything is "just" about money. And if Trotz had accepted the new deal that kicked in, or re-negotiated a new one, he would have still been here. Maybe not for long but he would have started the season as the Caps coach.

As it is this worked out for everyone involved. Trotz got a Cup, secured his legacy, he got paid, and Reirden got to learn things from Trotz and didn't have to leave to get his first head coaching gig.

Not everything is some sinister plot.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was too awkward for him to stay when it was obvious Reirden was fully groomed and all but supposed to take his job this past year.

And, because it had become clear that Reirden had a big hand in finally getting us a cup. It wasn't all Barry. Can anyone recall an assistant being alleged to have as big a hand in a cup win as Todd?

I theorize Barry was bitter that he had to deal with Todd breathing down his neck the entire year. His ask and actions reflected an unhappiness and urge to break the contract he signed. It was more than money IMO, but chasing money is the easy out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad