Trotz thinks Kariya should get stronger look for Team Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone26*

This is an article from the Monday National Post:

Paul Kariya wants to play for Team Canada at the 2006 Winter Olympics. He believes he has played well enough this season with the Nashville Predators that he at least deserves a look.

However while his head coach, Barry Trotz, is certain Kariya is deserving of a spot on the squad, Trotz is also convinced that teh 31-year-old, one-time staple of Team Canada's roster is now off GM Wayne Grezxty's radar.

"If I were the guys choosing Team Canada, I'd take Paul," said Trotz, the Winnipegger who is an early candidate for NHL coach of the year honours. "He's a winer. I think it's a mistake not to give him a good, long look."

"Kariya gives a team a threat even if he's not scoring. He's meticulous in his preparation. He's been through a lot of things, like Olympic and World Cup gold medals, and he'd be great to have around now that Steve Yzerman, and Mario Lemieux have told Team Canada they are not going to play.

"I'd not only have Paul on my team, I'd make him captain."

Kariya, one of three players wearing the "A" in Nashville this season, has nine goals and 16 assists and leads the Preds in scoring. During his team's last game, he was on the ice for almost 20 minutes and not only played on the power play, but a killed penalties(lots of penalties), as well.

"Paul still has great wheels and great sense with the puck," said Trotz. "If I were choosing Team Canada, I'd consider Paul and (Preds assistant captain)Steve
Sullivan, as well. But I also understand, that by playing.....in the sourthern U.S, neither one of them will get any consideration.

joe_shannon_1983*

Kariya, as has been mentioned before, is my favourite player. And I would love to see him on Team Canada. It would be the greatest Christmas gift.

He is the leading scorer and leader on a Nashville team that has gone from 8th to potentially 1st since his arrival. Plus, he has loads of international experience and has always played well for Canada.

But I just can't see it happening. He doesn't have the points that he would need in order to gain serious consideration from Team Canada management. There will be too much pressure to take the younger guys and trendy picks, and these are the guys who will keep a guy like Kariya off. And, as Trotz said, there is always the fact that Kariya plays in a southern U.S. state, which quite possibly might hurt his chances.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
They say a history with the program means a lot but that's clearly BS if come the 22nd Kariya is on the outside looking in.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
Could be a strong addition to a team potentially seeking some additional veteran leadership now that Lemiuex and Yzerman stepped aside. Kariya has a lengthy resume at international events, and his performance this season should demonstrate that he can still play.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
wildone26 said:
"Paul still has great wheels and great sense with the puck," said Trotz. "If I were choosing Team Canada, I'd consider Paul and (Preds assistant captain)Steve Sullivan, as well. But I also understand, that by playing.....in the sourthern U.S, neither one of them will get any consideration.
Yeah in the past Kariya had a really hard time making Canadian teams when he was playing in Anaheim. And Anaheim is much further north of Nashville. :sarcasm:

:help:

espo*

i agree with Trotz,i don't know why he is being over-looked.He did'nt even get an invite to the summer camp,which for a guy of his stature and previous experience with the Canadian team,was a big mistake IMO.He's earned at least a summer camp invite and a good look for the team this year.

It's not like he's 38 and past his prime.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
cyclops said:
i agree with Trotz,i don't know why he is being over-looked.He did'nt even get an invite to the summer camp,which for a guy of his stature and previous experience with the Canadian team,was a big mistake IMO.He's earned at least a summer camp invite and a good look for the team this year.

It's not like he's 38 and past his prime.

I think a lot of it has to do with the dreadful season he had last year in Colorado\doubt he could pick it back up after taking the lockout year off. He's proving that he's back to form, especially as a playmaker\PP QB, and I think he'd should definitely get at least CONSIDERATION for the team.

Randall Graves*

Yeah Barry Luongo, Lecavalier and Richards won't get any consideration because they play in the south..

if you put in Kariya, who do you take out?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RallyKiller said:
Yeah Barry Luongo, Lecavalier and Richards won't get any consideration because they play in the south..

I think I can find a spot for him. Unfortunetaly, Doan would be the one to go and that isn't happening

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Look Rick Nash is on the bubble even. I'd be hard to find a spot for Kariya. If anything I'd put in one of the big young "3" over him. Kariya was very close to being the best player in the world at one time but right now I dont think he's one of the best 23 Canadians anymore.

joe_shannon_1983*

RallyKiller said:

Have the team be something like this:

Gagne - Sakic - Iginla
Kariya - Richards - Heatley
Smyth - Lecavalier - Doan
Bertuzzi - Thornton - St.Louis
Draper

That would make a really good team.

You may ask, "well, where are Crosby, Spezza, and Staal?"

Simple: They are sitting at home.

They are not needed on this team, for many reasons:

1) They are all natural centres. But this team is already filled up at centre. And before one goes off saying, "they can play the wing", let me ask: How good will they be at wing? They don't have much, if any, experience at wing. So how does anyone know what to expect out of them as wingers. In addition, would they as wingers be as good as Kariya as a winger? I bet Kariya, a natural left winger, would be a better left winger than any of those guys, who are all natural centres.

2) They have no experience playing in high-level pressure games. No Olympic Teams before. No World Cup Teams before. No World Championship Teams before. No playoff games before (besides Spezza, who has a few games of playoff hockey under his belt). Unlike Kariya, who has at least 50 games or more playing in high-level pressure situations. I would bet on Kariya stepping it up in an Olympic game before I would bet on any of the young guys.

3) They are all one-way scoring line players. They would not be suited to play on a 3rd or 4th line, and play in various roles. They are scoring line players, who rely on a lot of powerplay time. The thing is, Canada is already full of scoring line guys who play the powerplay. So these guys would me forced to play the 3rd and 4th lines. And I don't think these young guys would not be as useful on a 3rd or 4th line as a guy like Kariya, who is much better defensively and in penalty killing situations. Canada already has enough guys like Crosby, Spezza, and Staal. It is pointless to take any more.

4) They will all have chances in the future to play in the Olympics. I admit that this reason is based on emotions, unlike the other three reasons I gave, which were all based on logic. But it is a reason I have nonetheless for why Crosby, Spezza, and Staal should be left off the the 2006 team. They should have to wait their turn and pay their dues just like every young player has in the past. This is probably the last chance for a guy like Kariya to play for their country, so it would be nice to see a guy like Kariya one more chance. Plus, a guy like Kariya had his 1998 Olympic participation (where he was a sure bet) taken away from him by Gary Suter, so it would be nice to see him get a chance to play on an Olympic Team where he isn't quite as sure of a thing as he was in 1998. I admit, however, that everything listed in "4)" has been emotional, rather than logical (like my first three reasons were).

Bottom line: I think s a better fit and is more deserving than any of the young guys.

joe_shannon_1983*

Big Phil said:
Look Rick Nash is on the bubble even. I'd be hard to find a spot for Kariya. If anything I'd put in one of the big young "3" over him. Kariya was very close to being the best player in the world at one time but right now I dont think he's one of the best 23 Canadians anymore.

Rick Nash deserves to be on the bubble, or better yet, not even on the team.

Kariya's worst season is equal PPG wise to Nash's best season. Plus, Kariya has proven that he is a winner and a leader, unlike Nash. In addition, Kariya is ten times more the two-way player that Nash is. To top it off, while Nash has been sitting at home all season with an injury, Kariya has been leading the Nashville Predators to their best season and to the near the top of the Western Conference.

Nash, at this point in time, shouldn't even be considered for Team Canada.

espo*

nomorekids said:
I think a lot of it has to do with the dreadful season he had last year in Colorado\doubt he could pick it back up after taking the lockout year off. He's proving that he's back to form, especially as a playmaker\PP QB, and I think he'd should definitely get at least CONSIDERATION for the team.
I agree,it was just one mediocore season,exactly just how long are they supposed to hold that against the guy? The guy still has major wheels and the rest of his skill set is still intact.He may not be the Kariya of 1998 but he's still dangerous and damn good,especially on the big ice surface where his creativity and skating can be even trickier to handle.He's got a ton of international experience to boot.Continues to stump me why he's not among the guys being seriousely considered.

They may end up regretting leaving him off.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Kayria is definetly not good enough to make this team, he hasn't even had a point per game this year, nor is he even the best Canadian forward on his team.

He's also -7 on one of the best teams in the league, Kayria played himself out of a spot.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
kariya should make it. The only veteran experience this team has is sakic and kariya would be a huge addition. As well, he's really playing well this year.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Namso said:
kariya should make it. The only veteran experience this team has is sakic and kariya would be a huge addition. As well, he's really playing well this year.

Jovo, Pronger, Iginla, the Tampa Guys, Blake, Foote, thats plenty of veteran experience.

joe_shannon_1983*

therealdeal said:
Jovo, Pronger, Iginla, the Tampa Guys, Blake, Foote, thats plenty of veteran experience.

So you think Kariya shouldn't make the team. Fine. But who is it you suggest go instead?

And if you are going to say Crosby, Spezza, Staal, or Nash, then look at my posts earlier in the thread to see why Kariya should be on the team before any of those guys.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
ferns8916 said:
Have the team be something like this:

Gagne - Sakic - Iginla
Kariya - Richards - Heatley
Smyth - Lecavalier - Doan
Bertuzzi - Thornton - St.Louis
Draper

I like this lineup. Though if Nash comes back quickly and starts playing well, I'd say you take him back, since he's got great chemistry with Thornton. Move Bertuzzi to the RW with Nash on the Left, then make the choice between Doan or St.Louis for 3rd line RW/13th forward, dropping Draper. I don't mention Bertuzzi because as a Canuck fan I'm biased :)

And as others have mentioned, Shanny's another guy like Kariya thats been solid this year and is being overlooked. He'd maybe be competition for a spot Kariya is looking to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad