Top Goaltender

Dylan Garand

Coach of the Year

James Patrick

Executive of the Year

Matt Cockell

Fight Guy

Jan 9, 2005
Bedard won Rookie of the Year last season when he was considered a rookie. If looking at just 16 year olds, it should between Yager, Benson, and Howe.

I have a slight bias toward Howe for the reason that if Bedard weren't on the team, he would still be one of the best 16yo's ever for the Pats. His game is so complete and was putting up points BEFORE being put on a line with Bedard. He's been one of the only Pats to be able to play at Bedards level and been an effective line mate. On top of that, he plays key minutes in all areas. He's one of the teams top penalty killers, and was doing it while still 15yo. He also has one of, if not, the best shooting percentages in the league. An effective pest, too!

So right now, I like Howe to win it. Yager has obviously been great though. 25 goals this season and one of Moose Jaws best players. Being the consensus 2nd overall talent in the 2020 draft (I know he went 3rd but, was always considered the more complete prospect over Heidt), I think there was some expectation that he would have a dynamite season. That shouldn't take anything away from him, but I like the "underdog" stories more usually.

With that being said, Benson has been a nice surprise. I expected him to be very good (I thought he should have gone top 10 ATLEAST) but has shown up along with the other crazy good '05s. He came out to an explosive start and has recently seen the score sheet a bunch again. I would maybe argue he may not be as productive if not on the top team in the country, but he's proven to be able to play at this level in general and would probably be fairly productive on most teams regardless.

I like to parallel Benson and Howe in my head when it comes to how they were drafted. Both highly skilled players who were/are undersized and carried their bantam teams with no supporting cast. Because of that, their teams don't get as much attention and because their point totals arent as high as the super teams who recruited multiple top prospects, they get ranked lower. Benson being in the CSSHL, he was still going to go highish, but not as high as he should probably have gone. Howe was playing SBAAHL, which even though the top Sask players often play there (the ones that don't go CSSHL), its still only AA and those players are often overlooked a little bit because of it. Looking at Howe's bantam stats compared to his team mates and where he was in league scoring, its not overly crazy to think he could be so good, so soon. Having a growth spurt and doing hard off season work didn't hurt either. Another player that was similar was Cole Sillinger. Though not undersized, he was always considered a top 3 prospect... until he wasn't on a super team racking up as many points. Instead, was by far the best player on his Okanagan Hockey Academy team, still racking up points, and carried them that season.

So ya... it's between those three in my opinion.

Sadly, the league will probably give it to 17 year Savoie though if he stays ahead of the 16yo's in points. I don't think he should be in consideration even though he is technically a WHL rookie this season. I think it was his choice to spend his 16yo rookie season in another junior league. Not to mention, he played more games than Bedard did as a 15yo, and that was as an affiliated player. I will be disappointed if it goes that way.

Thats the end of my rookie of the year rant.

Right now, I would say Yager will get it, but would prefer to see Benson or Howe win it.

Reactions: Juniorhockeyguru

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad