Speculation: Tristan Jarry on the trade market?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Crosby already upset Guentzel went and he was an expiring UFA.

Imagine if a top 10 goalie goes. It will be a war between Dubas and Crosby.

In what world, and what reality is he a top 10 goalie? because it sure as hell Isn't this one.

I don't know what elseworld Marvel timeline you live in but it's time to come back to the main timeline.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas moves Smith at the draft and Pens have cap space to add. Jarry is a good goalie and with a better defensive team he is a 60-game goalie. There are a handful of teams that would upgrade the goal tending position immediately. But unless a team just offers a must do that deal, Dubas isn't moving him. A starting goalie at 5 million even with 4 years left is not expensive by any measure.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dubas moves Smith at the draft and Pens have cap space to add. Jarry is a good goalie and with a better defensive team he is a 60-game goalie. There are a handful of teams that would upgrade the goal tending position immediately. But unless a team just offers a must do that deal, Dubas isn't moving him. A starting goalie at 5 million even with 4 years left is not expensive by any measure.

nah.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
He's wildly inconsistent. So I can see both sides to the topic.

From cap dump, to Jarry has value in a trade.

And that is the range I hear when listening to NHL talking heads discuss Jarry.

Heard EJ Hradek in an interview near the TDL. He is firmly in the "Jarry has negative value" group. Also heard former Pen player Tyler Kennedy who is in the, "Pens could get several draft picks for him" group.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He's wildly inconsistent. So I can see both sides to the topic.

From cap dump, to Jarry has value in a trade.

And that is the range I hear when listening to NHL talking heads discuss Jarry.

Heard EJ Hradek in an interview near the TDL. He is firmly in the "Jarry has negative value" group. Also heard former Pen player Tyler Kennedy who is in the, "Pens could get several draft picks for him" group.
It's all about perspective.

If a team like NJD has cap space, is competing now, and has an extreme need for goaltending, then yeah Jarry would absolutely have value.

If you are calling up Boston, Tampa, or Winnipeg trying to send Jarry there, yeah, he probably has negative value.

Player value is not absolute. It varies from team to team.

I think if Edmonton, New Jersey, or LA wanted a starting goalie, Jarry would be a good option and they could probably work out a fair deal for both sides.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
He only sucks post ASG.
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F72262d40-7f3a-4844-ac83-185c8e823738_966x706.png

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Jarry when on is really good. Six shutouts is amazing on this team void of D most of the year. He would be an affordable upgrade on teams in need. NJ, Oilers depending on what they do this year in the playoffs, a couple others would have an interest. Lock up a goalie for 4 years at a decent AAV is not the worst thing. Dubas isn't moving him unless he thinks Ned can handle the position and the kid is ready as the backup.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Jarry when on is really good. Six shutouts is amazing on this team void of D most of the year. He would be an affordable upgrade on teams in need. NJ, Oilers depending on what they do this year in the playoffs, a couple others would have an interest. Lock up a goalie for 4 years at a decent AAV is not the worst thing. Dubas isn't moving him unless he thinks Ned can handle the position and the kid is ready as the backup.
The Oilers will only be looking for a goalie if Stuart Skinner completely and monumentally fudges the huggies in the playoffs this year. Even then, I'm not really sure. They feel he's the guy moving forward. And Jarry isn't a backup. despite some people being delusional enough to think he has negative value, he's absolutely a starter in this league.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jarry's inconsistent, but that's kind of the way goaltending is right now. How many consistently good goalies are there in the league?

On balance, he's starter quality. For the price, he's alright.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Good luck moving an injury prone goaltender with that contract. Stupid signing.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Crosby already upset Guentzel went and he was an expiring UFA.

Imagine if a top 10 goalie goes. It will be a war between Dubas and Crosby.
Imagine being the operative word since Jarry is a top 10 only in the top 10 Worst Goalies When it Really Matters category.

Reactions: Zbynek

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I always look at situation in this way, if Jarry was a free agent after this season what kind of contract would he get?

There are 14 goaltenders making 5 mil AAV or more this season that have played 10 or more games. Jarry is at 5.375. I think he would easily sign a contract making what he does for 4 years. He'll have turned 29 just a month before July 1st. I think he would get a deal around what he has now and a team trading for him would get him with a contract already figured out.

The key is that Jarry has a 12 team NTC. So what teams could be interested? Just in a general sense: EDM, TOR, LAK, DET, PHI, NJ, BUF, OTT, ARI, CHI

Some teams that could be interested if they trade their starter to another team: CGY, NSH, ANA.

And before someone has a conniption fit because I mentioned your team. I did the exercise to see how many teams could be interested. I have 13 teams, thus Jarry could possibly have a defacto NTC if he designates 12 of the teams because the rest of the NHL has a starter.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could see a deal in the offseason around Jarry for Campbell+ making a fair amount of sense. Campbell has been atrocious in Edmonton, but he has actually had a really good season in the AHL this year (.921 save% in 30 games) and Dubas obviously knows and likes him. It’s kinda a “change of scenery” swap for both of them, it’s just a question of what else the Oilers would add to close out the value.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Does Jarry have an odd pattern of looking across the ice at a top level goalie and somehow keeping up with that guy for a single meanless game? Yes, it's something he has done his entire career.

But he also seems to phone it in routinely against poor competition and disappears later in the season when a team needs him the most.

Is the later an issue related to this mystery health issue that was the supposed issue with him last year or is he a goalie that needs a workload below that of a typical starter to maintain his game? Who knows. The health issue has never been shared other than a statement about how if he managed it correctly it wouldn't be an issue going forward, but here we are, late season, and he's faded out again.

The main issue with trading Jarry right now is that any outsider could reasonably, whether true or not, argue that it appears he lost his starting job just when the games started to mean something.

Would he do better in a more structure system? Probably. Most goalies would do better in any other system than the pens.

But at the point he is in right now, without something to rehabilitate his image before the off-season, I think the pens would be taking back a contract that could equally be a troublesome as Jarry's.

Like Dubois (w/ some level of retention) from LA level troublesome.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
There was allegedly interest in Jarry at the deadline so I definitely wouldn't rule it out that they'd explore the trade market in the off-season. It's less about Jarry and more about them having a top G prospect in Blomqvist in the AHL, though.

I could absolutely see them moving Jarry this off-season and then re-signing Nedjelkovic for a shorter term, higher AAV deal similar to Mrazek in Chicago. Run with Nedjelkovic-Blomqvist for the short term and eventually groom Bloqmvist to be the new starter.
Blomqvist is the future and Ned is apparently the past, so if you can move out Jarry for space, maybe a small return, then go for it.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Pens have a habit of needing to dump no 1 goalies.

Send a pick to vegas in 2017 so that they take MAF off their hands to make room for Murray
FF to 2020 they trade Murray to the Sens as Jarry is now the guy.
Extend jarry last summer and now he needs to go.

Meanwhile a 39 year old MAF is probably still the best goalie. Before this season in the 6 seasons since leaving the pens he put up great numbers. Time catching up to him but shipping him out was a mistake. Pens have won 1 playoff round since he left. MAF has won 7 on an expansion team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad