Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
How about a pure hockey trade...Martin Necas for Trevor Zegras straight up?
Isn't he going to be a UFA in a few weeks (once Carolina is out of the playoffs/wins the whole thing)?

If so, no. I mean I could see PV tossing some money his way to see if he wants to switch coasts, but he's not going to give Carolina anything though (assuming he is a UFA). Besides, the Ducks are pretty well set up at Center at the moment.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How about a pure hockey trade...Martin Necas for Trevor Zegras straight up?

Just a lateral move…. I’d love to add necas…. But not at the expense of any of the core we currently have.

Which I understand prob means we can’t get him

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Isn't he going to be a UFA in a few weeks (once Carolina is out of the playoffs/wins the whole thing)?

If so, no. I mean I could see PV tossing some money his way to see if he wants to switch coasts, but he's not going to give Carolina anything though (assuming he is a UFA). Besides, the Ducks are pretty well set up at Center at the moment.

Necas is an RFA with 2 years of control left. While he acts like a center on the ice a lot of the time (swooping into his defensive zone to generate speed on entries), Brind’Amour has never put him out there with 2 wingers.

Reactions: Rec T

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

He'll be an RFP still w/arbitration rights. I would hate to see him leave, but perhaps a change of scenery for both.....well, it might not make any difference.

Necas has played center, but he's primarily an RW.

Reactions: Rec T

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Anaheim is not trading Zegras. They are turning him into a complete hockey player (he plays defense now) and he is part of their core moving forward.

Reactions: S.S. Giggy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t find Zegras to be that appealing of a player. He’s highly skilled, yes, but protect him onto any kind of retooling team hoping to take the next step, do you see Zegras leading the way? Or on a veteran laden team hoping to make a run, is Zegras ready to contribute?

In terms of value, I could see him bringing a return ironically like Jamie Drysdale, slightly slower to develop defenseman, smaller and with enough injury risk that someone might want to change it up.

• Haha
Reactions: LuGBuG

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
I don’t find Zegras to be that appealing of a player. He’s highly skilled, yes, but protect him onto any kind of retooling team hoping to take the next step, do you see Zegras leading the way? Or on a veteran laden team hoping to make a run, is Zegras ready to contribute?

In terms of value, I could see him bringing a return ironically like Jamie Drysdale, slightly slower to develop defenseman, smaller and with enough injury risk that someone might want to change it up.
You're not watching him play, clearly. Comparing Zegras' value to Drysdale's is a non-starter; one is chronically injured (hence his availability in trade) while the other broke his ankle on a freak play and is now back and "contributing". Do I see him "leading the way" to Anaheim's next phase of evolution? No, he's still quite young and the team has a long way to go. But that doesn't make him expendable.

The national view of Zegras is truly baffling. Ducks fans see a constant barrage of trade rumors from fans of other teams who want him, but then we get missives like this one saying he's "not that appealing of a player." Which is it? Can we stop devaluing a very good player based on his more modest pace toward stardom? Not everyone is Bedard.

Zegras is a VERY appealing player. Maybe he'll never be a 50 goal scorer. But he was Anaheim's leading goal-scorer last season (tied with Terry) and there is no justification for interrupting his evolution by trading him for a "slightly slower to develop defenseman, smaller and with enough injury risk that someone might want to change it up." I suspect Cronin and Verbeek will put Zegras and Cutter Gauthier on Leo Carlsson's wings next season, and then we'll see what the kid can really do.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You're not watching him play, clearly. Comparing Zegras' value to Drysdale's is a non-starter; one is chronically injured (hence his availability in trade) while the other broke his ankle on a freak play and is now back and "contributing". Do I see him "leading the way" to Anaheim's next phase of evolution? No, he's still quite young and the team has a long way to go. But that doesn't make him expendable.

The national view of Zegras is truly baffling. Ducks fans see a constant barrage of trade rumors from fans of other teams who want him, but then we get missives like this one saying he's "not that appealing of a player." Which is it? Can we stop devaluing a very good player based on his more modest pace toward stardom? Not everyone is Bedard.

Zegras is a VERY appealing player. Maybe he'll never be a 50 goal scorer. But he was Anaheim's leading goal-scorer last season (tied with Terry) and there is no justification for interrupting his evolution by trading him for a "slightly slower to develop defenseman, smaller and with enough injury risk that someone might want to change it up." I suspect Cronin and Verbeek will put Zegras and Cutter Gauthier on Leo Carlsson's wings next season, and then we'll see what the kid can really do.

Keep Zegras, you don’t have to justify that to anybody. I just don’t see the cost of acquisition to be worth it for another team to trade for him. He’s not worth the add for a current playoff team since he doesn’t provide ready made offense, probably can’t play a role right away and for another rebuilder-retooler I don’t see why they’d give up a significant player with no blemishes and high upside to get him. Maybe you get the equivalent of a Mittelstadt for Byram potentially? Whatever you can just keep him.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Keep Zegras, you don’t have to justify that to anybody. I just don’t see the cost of acquisition to be worth it for another team to trade for him. He’s not worth the add for a current playoff team since he doesn’t provide ready made offense, probably can’t play a role right away and for another rebuilder-retooler I don’t see why they’d give up a significant player with no blemishes and high upside to get him. Maybe you get the equivalent of a Mittelstadt for Byram potentially? Whatever you can just keep him.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Doesn’t provide ready made offense….. imagine coming to a thread and discussing something you clearly have no idea about.

He’s got 5 goals this year.
Literally just do any research at all on the seasom he had. It should take 5 minutes. Then watch a game and your homework will be complete.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He’s got 5 goals this year.

Basically shit posting if you're not going to provide any context at all, which is honestly just sad coming from a mod.

He literally had one cold spell at the start of the season, coming in having missed training camp, and only had two points (one goal) in his first dozen games. That's nearly half his season lol we are now going to write him off for one dozen game skid? Obviously then broke his ankle and took a couple games to get back up to speed as can be expected. Otherwise he has played great, showing improved attention to detail and has produced at his usual rate. Just won't get enough games in for his stats to normalize. He has five points in his last five since and is clearly the team's most dangerous offensive creator at the moment.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Very few players are capable of leading a rebuilding team to take the next step, and those players cost significantly more than what Ducks would want for Zegras. Teams with significantly better players haven't taken that next step yet.

On a contender (or probably even team that's looking to take the next step), Zegras isn't a 1st line C (yet?). He's either a top line complimentary winger or (more likely) a 2C.

This season has been rough because of the injuries, missing training camp, and breaking the bad habits he learned the last couple of years under Eakins to become a more complete player. While he may never get any Selke votes, his defense has gotten a lot better. He should be a very solid player going forward and would help any team he'd play on. That doesn't mean teams should pay what the Ducks would ask for him, but Anaheim won't also give him away for a bunch of lesser pieces.

Reactions: LuGBuG

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Doesn’t provide ready made offense….. imagine coming to a thread and discussing something you clearly have no idea about.

Literally just do any research at all on the seasom he had. It should take 5 minutes. Then watch a game and your homework will be complete.

Are we playing some game like Zegras is wonderful and you can’t have him kind of thing? Guy has a lot of holes in his game and I can tell you on the other side of thing he’s not going to be that universally coveted at all.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Are we playing some game like Zegras is wonderful and you can’t have him kind of thing? Guy has a lot of holes in his game and I can tell you on the other side of thing he’s not going to be that universally coveted at all.
We are playing the we don’t want to trade him and you have no idea what you are talking about regarding his game, game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Basically shit posting if you're not going to provide any context at all, which is honestly just sad coming from a mod.

He literally had one cold spell at the start of the season, coming in having missed training camp, and only had two points (one goal) in his first dozen games. That's nearly half his season lol we are now going to write him off for one dozen game skid? Obviously then broke his ankle and took a couple games to get back up to speed as can be expected. Otherwise he has played great, showing improved attention to detail and has produced at his usual rate. Just won't get enough games in for his stats to normalize. He has five points in his last five since and is clearly the team's most dangerous offensive creator at the moment.

I’ve provided a Mittelstadt for Byram scenario and a Drysdale as a comparable so I’ve been complete respectful in outlining what a Zegras deal could look like and outline why he may not be appealing for rebuilders or contenders.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
What did you think would happen when you came to this forum and started diminishing Zegras based on your own uninformed delusions? You have a lot of holes in your game, too.

Reactions: duckpuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I’ve provided a Mittelstadt for Byram scenario and a Drysdale as a comparable so I’ve been complete respectful in outlining what a Zegras deal could look like and outline why he may not be appealing for rebuilders or contenders.

Yes and I'm just letting you know your arguments are very weak, based entirely on a very small sample of stats and with zero context. You clearly haven't watched the player or followed his season enough to have a clue what value he would have to any team. Sometimes people don't realize that they actually don't have anything to offer to the discussion.

He's a 23 year old center with 150 points in 208 career games, but sure continue shit posting about how he has 5 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad