Trevor Moore Clipping. Suspension incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
You can beg for it all you want, but it's not happening. Move on. You won.

In illegal ways. It's perfectly legal to injure a player on a legal play like a really well placed hit to the chest. But we're splitting hairs. They reviewed it and deemed unnecessary to provide further discipline.

If you get an opportunity for an open ice hit to deliver hard on an opponent legally, you're taking it and you're not taking it just to separate them from the puck. You're trying to hurt them. A hurt player is slower and more hesitant.
The thing about this mindset is that none of these guys should want to have debilitating long-term injuries which is why NHLers usually don't try to actually maim each other in these series, the hockey code is to play within the rules so any deviance from that such as low hits or overhand slashes to forearms are considered escalations that could result in both these teams being crippled by the end of this series. If something like this happens to McDavid the league will be under some serious pressure to change.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The hit itself is borderline. Thing I had more of an issue with was the intent. Midget moore doesn't even bother doing this if he didn't see Desharnais run someone over 5 seconds before that. The retaliatory part of it is what I question.

Reactions: Chainshot

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Not even near a suspension worthy hit, NHL got this right. Borderline sleazy hit, but not suspension worthy

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Moore wasn't called for clipping. He was called for tripping. That's the first problem when comparing it to a clipping call that earned a suspension.

Second, watch what players did when called for clipping in the OP's comparison video, in the NHL video that bone posted and in the following NHL rulebook video:

The players all drop their entire bodies low to the ice to deliberately hit the other players in the knees.

Moore didn't do that. He ducked his head a little in order to stick out his butt for the hip check, but the height of his butt, the point of contact, didn't change. It appears that it was just a missed hip check, not a deliberate targeting of the knees. It's still a penalty, but a tripping penalty, which he received. I don't see any reason for it deserving a suspension.

Last edited:

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Moore wasn't called for clipping. He was called for tripping. That's the first problem when comparing it to a clipping call that earned a suspension.

Second, watch what players did when called for clipping in the OP's comparison video, in the NHL video that bone posted and in the following NHL rulebook video:

The players all drop their entire bodies low to tice to deliberately hit the other players in the knees.

Moore didn't do that. He ducked his head a little in order to stick out his butt for the hip check, but the height of his butt, the point of contact, didn't change. It appears that it was just a missed hip check, not a deliberate targeting of the knees. It's still a penalty, but a tripping penalty, which he received. I don't see any reason for it deserving a suspension.

Moore didn't have to drop as low to hit Desharnais at or below the knees. Moore is much shorter than Desharnais. Size, however, is irrelevant to whether or not it's clipping.

As it says right at the beginning of the video you so helpfully posted, clipping is the act of throwing the body across or below the knees of an opponent from any direction. That is precisely what Moore did.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
As it says right at the beginning of the video you so helpfully posted, clipping is the act of throwing the body across or below the knees of an opponent from any direction. That is precisely what Moore did.
Yes, and, later in the video, it adds "with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees," suggesting that that point of contact needs to be deliberate. Both language come directly from the NHL rulebook:
44.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body across or below the knees of an opponent from any direction.

A player may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees.

An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.
You shouldn't focus on whether only the first sentence of the rule seemingly applies to the play. You need to consider the entire rule and the given examples to understand the intent behind it and why the referees didn't call it a clipping penalty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Three On Zero

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yes, and, later in the video, it adds "with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees," suggesting that that point of contact needs to be deliberate. Both language come directly from the NHL rulebook:

Also, all of the given examples of clipping look different than what Moore did and the referees gave him a tripping penalty, not a clipping penalty. There's obviously more to it than just that first sentence of the rule.
It was an attempted hit gone bad and turned slightly dirty, overall really a nothing incident

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

You shouldn't focus on whether only the first sentence of the rule seemingly applies to the play. You need to consider the entire rule and the given examples to understand the intent behind it and why the referees didn't call it a clipping penalty.
One would have to assume that this elite athlete lost complete control of his faculties for that to be the case. He took a direct line to Desharnais' knees, which I thought was self-evident. Moore tried to go low and succeeded.

Unless, of course, we need to rely on wiretaps and signed confessions to determine intent.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
One would have to assume that this elite athlete lost complete control of his faculties for that to be the case. He took a direct line to Desharnais' knees, which I thought was self-evident. Moore tried to go low and succeeded.

Unless, of course, we need to rely on wiretaps and signed confessions to determine intent.
It's a judgment call, for sure, and the judgment of the on-ice and off-ice officials that enforce the rules and are unbiased was that it wasn't clipping or suspension worthy. I'm not sure what there is left to argue.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Moore didn't have to drop as low to hit Desharnais at or below the knees. Moore is much shorter than Desharnais. Size, however, is irrelevant to whether or not it's clipping.

When the hell did knees get above thighs? He hit him in the thigh

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
My favorite part of the playoffs is when every fanbase combs through every little detail of a game looking for something their team was penalized for in past years and then blaming it on league bias against their team because no one else really cares.
I'm hoping for another 90 + page thread on offsides like the one we got 3 years ago during the Avs/Oilers series. I need to brush up on my clipping rules.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
Please, for the love of god, use players' last names, like the rest of the sports world, when talking about them. I have no clue who "Vinny" is. Using player nicknames when you're not a teammate is cringe af.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I’m surprised that the refs in Edmonton aren’t up in arms over this hit on their golden child.

Surely that has to be considered dirty in the rule book that only exists in their heads.

Reactions: Three On Zero

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Very dangerous play here by Moore. See the angle at the end where it shows Moore clipping Vinny right at the knee causing Vinny’s leg to bend. He also takes multiple strides from distance to get himself in perfect position to take out Vinny’s knee. Zero attempt to make the hit in any other way except for the most dangerous and dirty option.

Clipping at the knee level has been suspended before in the playoffs. Specifically Josh Archibald got one game for this clipping on another giant defenceman in Logan Stanley:

Should Trevor Moore sit a game for this one?

Agreed it shoulda been a game, but the dinosaurs in charge prefer injurious play. It is what it be.

I’m surprised that the refs in Edmonton aren’t up in arms over this hit on their golden child.

Surely that has to be considered dirty in the rule book that only exists in their heads.

In all srsness, tad late, but that’s the kinda tough playoff hockey I’m chill with. Not sure why McD braces for it like “you aren’t actually gonna hit me, right?” as Byfield squares him up. I’m sure it’s the slow-mo, just odd seeing him caught off guard there.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Please, for the love of god, use players' last names, like the rest of the sports world, when talking about them. I have no clue who "Vinny" is. Using player nicknames when you're not a teammate is cringe af.
The only Vinny I know is Vacalv Trocheck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad