Confirmed with Link: Trent Mann promoted to Chief Amateur Scout

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is good and makes sense under the circumstances. Trent's a good guy. Congrats Mr. Mann.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
giphy.gif

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Hopefully they fill Mann previous position as a scout, to not cannibalize their staff like they did with the Assistant GM position that was never filled from the Dorion promotion.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Hopefully they fill Mann previous position as a scout, to not cannibalize their staff like they did with the Assistant GM position that was never filled from the Dorion promotion.

The Sens just add titles to positions. Like Randy Lee, Assistant General Manager and Stationary Bike Seat-Wiper.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Anyone know what area he worked out of before? And who were some of his picks?

Hes from NB so is it safe to assume QMJHL?

I believe he was our eastern scout who works the Q and Eastern US colleges.

Most likely had a hand in Dzingel, White, Chabot, Brown and Gagne and Perron.

He was our Q scout.

He wasn't here when Dzingel was drafted, and while I'm sure he saw White play, I don't think he would have been the guy watching White.

I use to see him around Saint John a lot, he's a great guy.

Also I think he's from Quebec, technically :laugh:.

Last edited:

LOLERSKATES

Mar 12, 2008

This is such a silly misconception that I've seen posted on this board numerous times.

We had TWO Assistant GMs last year! TWO!

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
This is such a silly misconception that I've seen posted on this board numerous times.

We had TWO Assistant GMs last year! TWO!

Most Teams have two Assistant GM's. Not sure how that either silly or misconceived.

Usually when you make a promotion from within, you re-fill the position that was previously occupied to not fall short / subtract from staffing resources. This organization has not yet made a hire, and the position is still vacated. Now you tell me how that's silly? its simply fact

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Most Teams have two Assistant GM's. Not sure how that either silly or misconceived.

Usually when you make a promotion from within, you re-fill the position that was previously occupied to not fall short / subtract from staffing resources. This organization has not yet made a hire, and the position is still vacated. Now you tell me how that's silly? its simply fact
The following list has been compiled through the Front Office page on each team's website.

Teams that have either one AGM or none:
Anaheim
Arizona
Boston
Columbus
New Jersey
Washington
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa
Chicago
Minnesota
Nashville
Vancouver
Edmonton
San Jose
Los Angeles

Teams with two AGMs:
New York Islanders (debateable, as Doug Weight is Assistant General Manager while Kerry Gwydir is Assistant to the General Manager)
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh (one associate, one assistant)
Montreal
Tampa
Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
Winnipeg
Calgary

Teams with three or more:
Carolina
Florida
Toronto (debateable, as one is "assistant to the gm")

Most teams objectively do not have two assistant GMs. The tally is 16-11-3.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The following list has been compiled through the Front Office page on each team's website.

Anaheim
Arizona
Boston
Columbus
New Jersey
Washington
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa
Chicago
Minnesota
Nashville
Vancouver
Edmonton
San Jose
Los Angeles

Teams with two AGMs:
New York Islanders (debateable, as Doug Weight is Assistant General Manager while Kerry Gwydir is Assistant to the General Manager)
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Montreal
Tampa
Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
Winnipeg
Calgary

Carolina
Florida

I guess the argument could be that Murray is still a special consultant to the GM, and because of that the team is more than comfortable holding off bringing in another assistant (to the) GM.

I don't see why we should rush to add another guy myself, I've seen no evidence that the group we have isn't keeping up with the workload. You can argue you don't like the decisions they've made, but does an extra head guarantee better decisions? I simply don't have the information required to make a rational conclusion as to whether or not another body is needed. More staff is a workload issue, more so than a "make better decisions" issue.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

- Anaheim -
Arizona
- Boston -
Columbus
New Jersey
- Washington -
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa
- Chicago -
Minnesota
- Nashville -
Vancouver
Edmonton
- San Jose -
- Los Angeles -

Man, look at all of those awful teams who only have one assistant GM.

They must have terrible management, just like us. I bet none of those teams have had any recent success as a result.

If I recall correctly, it's only been posted numerous times because it's the same one poster who has brought it up those times.

Or maybe it's just me noticing one particularly vocal poster in particular. That could be it, too.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone know what area he worked out of before? And who were some of his picks?

Hes from NB so is it safe to assume QMJHL?

A 2012 article

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2012/11/02/on-the-road-scouting-junior-prospects-part-1

SENATORS SCOUTING STAFF

Amateur scouts

Greg Royce, Ontario-based (Toronto), but covers all areas and is a full-time crossover*

Bob Lowes, Western-based (Regina), but covers all areas and is a full-time crossover

George Fargher, Western-based (Kelowna), but covers all areas and is a full-time crossover

Bob Janecyk, U.S.-based (Grand Rapids, Mich.), in charge of U.S. coverage on amateur side. Also does some OHL, plus all tier 2/high school players

Lew Mongelluzzo, U.S.-based (Philadelphia), covers eastern U.S.; also has title of U.S. director of college scouting to recruit possible NCAA free agents

Bill McCarthy, U.S.-based (Minnesota), covers western U.S.

Trent Mann, Eastern-based (Sackville, N.S.), covers the QMJHL

Vaclav Burda, Europe-based (Prague) and is head European scout

Mikko Ruutu, Europe-based (Helsinki), covers Finland and Sweden plus special assignments in Europe

Pro scouts

Jim Clark, based in P.E.I. and covers all pro leagues (NHL, AHL)

Rob Murphy, based in Ottawa and covers all pro leagues (NHL, AHL)

Nick Polano, based in Detroit and Fort Myers, Fla., covers all pro leagues (NHL, AHL) on a part-time basis

* A crossover scout leaves his own area to see games in other leagues and help rate and compile the master list for the entry draft

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If memory serves, we had 2 assistant GMs because when Tim Murray left they didn't have a runaway favourite so they split the duties.

A bit off topic, but oddly parts of the Sens intranet are searchable by google...

found an org chat:

http://intranet.ottawasenators.com/uploads/files/org_charts/hockey.pdf

and a hockey ops org chart:

http://intranet.ottawasenators.com/uploads/files/org_charts/hockey.pdf

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016

Anaheim ✘ Dave McNabb, Dave Baseggio, and Dave Nonis as 'Consultant to GM'
Arizona ✔ Chris OHearn
Boston ✔ Scott Bradley
Columbus ✔ Bill Zito
New Jersey ✔ Tom Fitzgerald
Washington ✔ Don Fisherman
Buffalo ✔ Mark Jakubowski
Detroit ✘Ryan Martin, Kris Draper
Ottawa ✔ Randy Lee
Chicago ✔ Norm McIver
Minnesota ✔ Brett Flahr
Nashville ✔ Paul Fenton
Vancouver ✔John Wiesbrod
Edmonton ✘ Keith Gretsky, and Bill Scott as 'Assistant to Pres. of Hockey Ops [whos also the GM in Peter Chiarelli].
San Jose ✔ Joe Will
Los Angeles ✔ Rob Blake, [Mike Futa is 'VP of Hockey Ops and Director of Player Personel']

Teams with two AGMs:
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Montreal
Tampa
Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
Winnipeg
Calgary

Carolina
Florida

Solid research. Let me just amend/ refine that list a little.

Your Tally of 16-11-3 is a bit distorted as the "3" in that tally includes teams with at least 2 AGM's [as they are tallies of team with 3 AGMs]. The edited edition would tally up to be 17-13 in favor of teams with 2 Assitant GMs or more. So Yes, the majority of teams in the Nhl do in fact have 2 AGM's. Ottawa unfortunately does not atm. Not saying it can't change, just atm the position is vacant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad