Speculation: Treliving's evil plan to poach 2 defensemen from CGY finally laid to rest?

Bond

May 10, 2012
….and yer we are assured it will take Minten or Cowan to get it done.

Something ain’t stirring the kool-aid.
Eh, fans aim high lol. If a 1st is offered for either of Tanev or Zadarov they better be on a plane

Ledge And Dairy

I wouldn’t say zero chance. If Calgary is gutting their team by trading away all their pending UFAs for futures then retaining on an expiring deal in addition to taking back cap really shouldn’t be a sticking point.

I think the leafs not wanting to pay a premium for retention is more likely than Calgary being against it.
Using 2 retention slots in 1 trade while also taking back a large cap dump is just ridiculous though. That would leave Calgary with 3 4M+ pending UFA's and 1 retention slot

Mar 26, 2010
I still maintain a deal for Zadarov goes down, question is price. Will he overpay with prospects like Cowan, Minten, Robertson? or will it be Voit, Hirvonen etc
Sure hope not. Toronto does not need anymore bottom pairing D men.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

Mar 26, 2010
You wouldn't trade Minten for Zadorov? That's nuts. I've watched him a fair bit. Fringer NHLer.
Zadorov is a fringe NHL D man. I agree. No way Toronto trades a blue chip prospect for him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Fringe NHLer is a bit unfair, he’s definitely established himself as a bottom pair D.
I like the Leafs. Some of their fans though... Zadorov was 2nd in the NHL in ES goals last season. He'd be the 2nd-4th best defenseman for the Leafs overall. That group needs some help.

Lunacy. That's like saying I wouldn't trade Ben Jones for McCabe. Minten isn't a top 10 prospect for a lot of organizations in the league.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Zadorov is a fringe NHL D man. I agree. No way Toronto trades a blue chip prospect for him.
2nd in the league as ES scoring last year. Elite zone entry denial. Elite HDSCA numbers. Elite physicality. Not worth posting with people who know so little about the sport. Minten is not an elite prospect. Toronto doesn't have any of those. Wolf is our only elite prospect. I wouldn't even call Minten a solid prospect. He's a guy with fringe NHL potential. He's a future Ben Jones.

Mar 26, 2010
2nd in the league as ES scoring last year. Elite zone entry denial. Elite HDSCA numbers. Elite physicality. Not worth posting with people who know so little about the sport. Minten is not an elite prospect. Toronto doesn't have any of those. Wolf is our only elite prospect. I wouldn't even call Minten a solid prospect. He's a guy with fringe NHL potential. He's a future Ben Jones.
I strongly disagree. Minton will be good.

Thankfully Vancouver overplayed for Zadorov already.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Maybe you can draft an elite prospect with a 3rd or a 5th in 2026?

Reactions: ShootthePUCK420

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I say "evil" tongue in cheek. However I felt like the rumblings were silly. Why would an organization who just fired Treliving hand over a major chunk of their defensive depth just to help him out on his new team?

If this was the game plan then I question everything. The assets it would take to bring over Tanev / Zadorov (as an example) have already been spent as far as I can tell. Robertson and a 2nd round pick in 2029 is not going to cut it.

Does anyone have any insight into Plan B? I'll give Treliving a little credit and say that Plan A is crumpled up on the floor.

Discuss please.
I like the O/P’s user name. :clap:

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Every time a GM moves, everyone assumes they're trying to poach pieces from where they came from. It's just boiler plate speculation because the GM in the new org has old org players and info in the back of their mind. Treliving obviously would look at Calgary to see if the fit works, but I assume Dubas was the same as well, no? It just stuck for longer because the pieces rumored are the needs of the Leafs.
it makes sense. You would hope a gm would have pretty good scouting on the team he just left

Reactions: Fig

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Even with convincing Klingberg to LTIr his useless ass, the Leaf’s couldn’t fit Big Z in or what?

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
You wouldn't trade Minten for Zadorov? That's nuts. I've watched him a fair bit. Fringer NHLer.

A cost controlled future 3rd line centre, for a UFA 3.75 bottom pair man. No thanks!!!

Never change HF boards.

Even with convincing Klingberg to LTIr his useless ass, the Leaf’s couldn’t fit Big Z in or what?

It’s not deemed season ending yet.

Bond

May 10, 2012
A cost controlled future 3rd line centre, for a UFA 3.75 bottom pair man. No thanks!!!

Never change HF boards.

It’s not deemed season ending yet.
Dion thinks Zadorov is a #2/3 dman at least lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad