Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Painfully obvious that Berube looked at Ottawa, looked at Toronto, and decided that his opportunity to win was better there. That's a hoof in the nuts no matter how you look at it. It's just so painful to forever be the bridesmaid and the place where people don't want to go. It's the cycle of perpetual misery - we don't win because people don't want to come here and because people don't want to come here, we can't win.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Painfully obvious that Berube looked at Ottawa, looked at Toronto, and decided that his opportunity to win was better there. That's a hoof in the nuts no matter how you look at it. It's just so painful to forever be the bridesmaid and the place where people don't want to go. It's the cycle of perpetual misery - we don't win because people don't want to come here and because people don't want to come here, we can't win.
Meh... Such is the lot of the Ottawa fan. Besides, our misery hasn't really been perpetual - it just feels like an eternity these days.

I don't think Berube is gonna save that team, for what it's worth: their roster will be perpetually unbalanced without moving one of their top 4 paid players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Who wouldn’t take a playoff team over a non-playoff team?

It’s not like they are aged out of contention or anything.

We’ve never had an owner with deep pockets and a competitive team since the mid 2000s and we didn’t really want for much in those early days with Melnyk.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well Keefe wasn’t fired yet, but ya he was likely holding out, until he knew.
We don’t even know if he was willing to come here, if he would of been chosen.

Berube is not an X and O’s go, he needs good assistants for that, like when he had Montgomery. He’s a demanding coach, but not a ra ra guy.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
That last line is not a cycle, it’s the same sentence just reversed haha

But yeah, people don’t want to come here because we’re not winning, and…

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Where’s that guy that said ‘why would Berube want Toronto’?
That was me. I didn't say he wouldn't want to go to Toronto, I simply asked why people were so sure. Obviously there was a valid explanation for why people were so sure, but nobody wanted to elaborate on it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Pretty smart for coaches on the sidelines to wait a few rounds. Who knows how many more jobs will be available in the next few weeks.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
First impressions:

1. He's holding his coffee cup in the same hand as his workbag, which indicates a creative approach towards problem solving, balancing different needs to the benefit of the entire whole.

2. He puts the bag down before engaging with the players to ensure good handshaking posture, showing that he has the capacity to plan two or three steps ahead, which indicates the ability to soundly out-think his opposing number behind the opposition's bench.

3. He's comfortable with the cup in either hand, indicating that he has no real preference for left or right side talent. He's willing to extend either side the benefit of the doubt when it comes to drafting strategies for the team.

4. He wears a tie, but it's not knotted too tightly, indicating that he wishes to convey respect but is not slavishly devoted to convention and the appearance of doing the right thing at the expense of expediency.

5. Following his coffee, he clearly has a San Pellegrino in his hand later in the video, showing that he's cognizant of the dehydrating effects of coffee and a clear inference that he takes good health and fitness seriously for the team.

6. His use of a notepad in place of loose paper or cards shows an organized willingness to learn, adding additional information to his remarks as opposed to simply bringing his speech in completed form with no room for comments, additions or feedback. It's a clear sign of the fact that believes in the concept of continuous education and learning.

Sold.

Solid signing.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Green's team beat Berube's much stronger team in the playoffs, fwiw...

I agree with your thought process for Berube - more money and a better roster in TO. Thats inarguable.

But I actually have come around to the idea that Green might in fact be a more detailed oriented coach than Berube is, and is actually the better match with our teams roster. Its not a budget hire imo anymore, not like how it looked at first. We need a demanding and highly detailed oriented coach - and Green checks both of the boxes.

Personally Berube was not the coach to go all in on imo. A great one no doubt, but he was the best coach available by default, and not actually AAA tier coach. And there are a lot more coaches I would be worried/sad about seeing them go to the Leafs. Whereas I can live comfortably with this one.

And thruthfully, the Leafs are probably a better match for Berube anyhow. Hes a Trotz like motivator, and not an Xs and Os guy that is focused on the details. And the much more mature Leafs roster needs a good kick in the ass, not a lesson in hockey philosophy and small details.

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I don't care about Berube going to Toronto, in fact I'm happy because there's gonna be a lot tension in that locker room, it will be interesting to see how Matthews, Marner and Nylander handle having a coach like Berube, personally I don't think it's a good fit but we'll see. As far as the Sens are concern I think Green will do a great job here.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Green's approach is a "demanding country club". He will run hard practises, which would have no applications to the game. The players will tune out fast and he will be back to his old himself. Those who like me - will pay more minutes. He is just plain stupid and not professional.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Green's approach is a "demanding country club". He will run hard practises, which would have no applications to the game. The players will tune out fast and he will be back to his old himself. Those who like me - will pay more minutes. He is just plain stupid and not professional.
Solid post. The players paying for their minutes sounds more like some of those old politicians (i.e., Senators) who used to get kickbacks from all the state government employees. LOL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Leafs haven't won a cup since 1967 & have had some of the best coaches in the NHl, remember Babcock? Look at the two teams advancing in the East, again this yr they are both tough teams. Look at the Leafs do they look tough to you? Their problem is that their best players are all guys who don't like tough hockey or getting hit, I can imagine Tkachuk going after Mathews the way he went after Pastrnak. I can also imagine Berube being very frustrated with their group quite quickly given he likes tough hockey & the Leafs are not.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The Leafs haven't won a cup since 1967 & have had some of the best coaches in the NHl, remember Babcock? Look at the two teams advancing in the East, again this yr they are both tough teams. Look at the Leafs do they look tough to you? Their problem is that their best players are all guys who don't like tough hockey or getting hit, I can imagine Tkachuk going after Mathews the way he went after Pastrnak. I can also imagine Berube being very frustrated with their group quite quickly given he likes tough hockey & the Leafs are not.
Yeah if they are going to play the way berube wants then they’ll need a rebuild. So we’re looking at a few years from success.

We just have to get Brady, stu and Sandy into the playoffs.

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
First impressions:

1. He's holding his coffee cup in the same hand as his workbag, which indicates a creative approach towards problem solving, balancing different needs to the benefit of the entire whole.

2. He puts the bag down before engaging with the players to ensure good handshaking posture, showing that he has the capacity to plan two or three steps ahead, which indicates the ability to soundly out-think his opposing number behind the opposition's bench.

3. He's comfortable with the cup in either hand, indicating that he has no real preference for left or right side talent. He's willing to extend either side the benefit of the doubt when it comes to drafting strategies for the team.

4. He wears a tie, but it's not knotted too tightly, indicating that he wishes to convey respect but is not slavishly devoted to convention and the appearance of doing the right thing at the expense of expediency.

5. Following his coffee, he clearly has a San Pellegrino in his hand later in the video, showing that he's cognizant of the dehydrating effects of coffee and a clear inference that he takes good health and fitness seriously for the team.

6. His use of a notepad in place of loose paper or cards shows an organized willingness to learn, adding additional information to his remarks as opposed to simply bringing his speech in completed form with no room for comments, additions or feedback. It's a clear sign of the fact that believes in the concept of continuous education and learning.
This is the greatest post on HFBoards. Well done! 👏😂

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
First impressions:

Do you work in public relations perchance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad