Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Don’t think most fans will, from the outset, will give their full support to the new coach.

Suspect most will be a “wait and see” or “actions speak louder than words” type….. there will be a honeymoon period, and perhaps then some fans will get behind the coach.

Doesn’t matter who was hired, I think the same approach will be taken….. the first 25 games will be crucial.
Yup. If this team stumbles out of the gates *again*, it'll be an absolute bloodbath.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Yup. If this team stumbles out of the gates *again*, it'll be an absolute bloodbath.
If this team stumbles out of the gate with another coach behind the bench we will be looking at a bloodbath regarding the core. It's all on the players now there's no more excuses. If these guys want to stick together and think they can get it done with this group they're going to have to bring it. If not Staios gets to blame Dorian on assembling this crack pot roster. I don't care if they're best buddies and do each other's hair at night. I only care about wins and losses.

These guys have had enough time together that if they can't put it together by now they never will and it's time to mix things up. These guys act like it's a fraternity or something like that and they got to remember that this is serious business and now's time for them to act serious. That's why I get the sense that Green is going to be a hard ass on them and it's exactly what they need. It might start slow because they are not used to a hard ass. They might try to resist and if they do I hope Green breaks them they all need to buy into the program because what they've been doing already in the past obviously is not working so they don't know any better. It's like the inmates running the asylum. These guys don't know how to win at this level yet they need to be taught.

Fans can be upset all they want but it's not Green's fault that there was 7 years of no playoffs and literally a deadbeat owner. He comes in with a clean slate in my mind and so does Staios , he inherited one hell of a mess. You guys think there's going to be cleaned up in one year it took 7 years to build this mess it isn't going to be fixed overnight. Nobody can fix the goaltending mess we're in, literally we need some white night goaltender like the Canucks are having in the playoffs to save this team. The two guys we got together can't stop a beach ball. The defense is a bunch of pylons that couldn't check their way out of a wet paper bag. The only player who plays with any heart on this team is the Captain and the former coach who is now the assistant coach.

It won't be pretty this year if anyone thinks roses are in the forecast it's more like weeds. We're going to have to learn to fight tooth and Claw for every single point we're going to earn this year. These pretty Timmy goals are not going to cut it. Sure they're going to happen but we're going to need a different mindset we need to become a tough as Nails grinding team. Every player is going to need to have that attitude as well. Too many guys disappear when it comes time to grind. I prefer 25 grinding goals over 25 highlight real goals.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If this team stumbles out of the gate with another coach behind the bench we will be looking at a bloodbath regarding the core. It's all on the players now there's no more excuses. If these guys want to stick together and think they can get it done with this group they're going to have to bring it. If not Staios gets to blame Dorian on assembling this crack pot roster. I don't care if they're best buddies and do each other's hair at night. I only care about wins and losses.

These guys have had enough time together that if they can't put it together by now they never will and it's time to mix things up. These guys act like it's a fraternity or something like that and they got to remember that this is serious business and now's time for them to act serious. That's why I get the sense that Green is going to be a hard ass on them and it's exactly what they need. It might start slow because they are not used to a hard ass. They might try to resist and if they do I hope Green breaks them they all need to buy into the program because what they've been doing already in the past obviously is not working so they don't know any better. It's like the inmates running the asylum. These guys don't know how to win at this level yet they need to be taught.

Fans can be upset all they want but it's not Green's fault that there was 7 years of no playoffs and literally a deadbeat owner. He comes in with a clean slate in my mind and so does Staios , he inherited one hell of a mess. You guys think there's going to be cleaned up in one year it took 7 years to build this mess it isn't going to be fixed overnight. Nobody can fix the goaltending mess we're in, literally we need some white night goaltender like the Canucks are having in the playoffs to save this team. The two guys we got together can't stop a beach ball. The defense is a bunch of pylons that couldn't check their way out of a wet paper bag. The only player who plays with any heart on this team is the Captain and the former coach who is now the assistant coach.

It won't be pretty this year if anyone thinks roses are in the forecast it's more like weeds. We're going to have to learn to fight tooth and Claw for every single point we're going to earn this year. These pretty Timmy goals are not going to cut it. Sure they're going to happen but we're going to need a different mindset we need to become a tough as Nails grinding team. Every player is going to need to have that attitude as well. Too many guys disappear when it comes time to grind. I prefer 25 grinding goals over 25 highlight real goals.

Interesting because Staois has completely lowered expectations to the point fans are wondering if the Sens were even in top physical shape

But the fans have their own expectations and the “Staois wasn’t here for all the losing so he doesn’t care about that” - that’s not going to work. We need wins, lots of them.

If Staois thinks he can go into this season as a “development” year which is a word we hear a lot - SS is going to learn about his fan base. There’s no deal with this management group like in Mkntreal where if you hire a French coach and bring in some myepsterious Europeans the fans think special things are happening - Habs fans have been coalesced into thinking running the team for a French fan base is more important then winning. Staois is going to learn that putting all this “culture” talk means absolutely nothing to these fans. We know what winning looks like and if his team isn’t doing it there will be no cuff links that can save him

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the Green hire, but if this team isn't at least fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the season, fingers will be pointed at the players.

Reactions: Dionysus

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018

I agree. If the team struggles management will change the players before they change the coach.

Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I guess the good news is that Green has always been adament about his players coming into camp in shape. Just gotta hope it doesn’t wear off throughout the season.
I’m worried staios keyed in on some things about this team and went for a coach that ticked those very specific boxes.

Team comes in out of shape. Oh this coach won’t allow that?! Hired.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Andlauer wasn't willing to disclose Green's salary in his interview with Mendes, but he did give two hints, 1. he may very well be getting paid more that what coaches in some major markets are getting, and 2. he is the highest paid coach in sens history.

The rumour was DJ was getting 1.5 mil, so that's the baseline right there, Boston pays Montgomery 2 mil, Chi pays Richardson 1.5, Montreal pays St.Louis 3m, Nucks pay Tochett 2.75. Toronto was paying Keefe 1.95.

I'm not expecting him to get paid more than the top guys in that 4+ that we see in NY, VGK, Phi, and Dal, but 2-3 seems likely.

Reactions: PlayOn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’m worried staios keyed in on some things about this team and went for a coach that ticked those very specific boxes.

Team comes in out of shape. Oh this coach won’t allow that?! Hired.
Really? that's it.

If you come into camp out of shape ... You are going to single yourself out for the wrong reasons and you are going to wish you came in in shape.

So that's how much credit you give our new POHO/GM ? I mean be skeptical but .. that is pretty low

Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Let's move on from smoke screens, the BIGGEST PROBLEM on this team has been goaltending for the last few seasons, not being out of shape & the defence being too much of the same thing & being too easy to play against. Both those things need to be fixed this offseason or we will be back to the same old same old. Kleven replacing Brannstrom will help the defence be bigger, tougher & harder to play against, Ostapchuk on this roster will help be harder to play against as well. I expect they will pick up one or two guys who are also hard to play against in free agency & cut down on the goals against. Coaching should help some, but it's replacing certain players that is going to make the biggest changes that help reduce the goals against.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Let's move on from smoke screens, the BIGGEST PROBLEM on this team has been goaltending for the last few seasons, not being out of shape & the defence being too much of the same thing & being too easy to play against. Both those things need to be fixed this offseason or we will be back to the same old same old. Kleven replacing Brannstrom will help the defence be bigger, tougher & harder to play against, Ostapchuk on this roster will help be harder to play against as well. I expect they will pick up one or two guys who are also hard to play against in free agency & cut down on the goals against. Coaching should help some, but it's replacing certain players that is going to make the biggest changes that help reduce the goals against.
Not sure there's a lot of daylight between goal tending and team defense being the biggest issues for this team the last few seasons.

Team defense seemed to improve under JM but unless there's personnel changes, still a lot to be desired, in both cases.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the Green hire, but if this team isn't at least fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the season, fingers will be pointed at the players.
End of season? Try by the trade deadline. If not, we're gonna see a loved player shipped out.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Interesting because Staois has completely lowered expectations to the point fans are wondering if the Sens were even in top physical shape

But the fans have their own expectations and the “Staois wasn’t here for all the losing so he doesn’t care about that” - that’s not going to work. We need wins, lots of them.

If Staois thinks he can go into this season as a “development” year which is a word we hear a lot - SS is going to learn about his fan base. There’s no deal with this management group like in Mkntreal where if you hire a French coach and bring in some myepsterious Europeans the fans think special things are happening - Habs fans have been coalesced into thinking running the team for a French fan base is more important then winning. Staois is going to learn that putting all this “culture” talk means absolutely nothing to these fans. We know what winning looks like and if his team isn’t doing it there will be no cuff links that can save him

Really? that's it.

If you come into camp out of shape ... You are going to single yourself out for the wrong reasons and you are going to wish you came in in shape.

So that's how much credit you give our new POHO/GM ? I mean be skeptical but .. that is pretty low
Interesting to watch human nature at work I guess. We are almost into conspiracy theory territory now. It's a nefarious cabal consisting of misguided, misinformed, inept individuals that includes the owner, GM & coach that will ultimately fail miserably & quickly. I get the years of pent up fan frustration and I have exaggerated a bit for effect here. It's just that we haven’t much of history with this group, so we might have to wait a bit before we get to the extreme reactions stage.

It's not just defensemen. It's team D in general that needs to improve along with goaltending of course.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's not just defensemen. It's team D in general that needs to improve along with goaltending of course.
I actually found that the team had some stretches where the forwards were really doing well to support the D and it made a massive difference. When we slowed the opposition down through the NZ the D were able to close the gaps better and everything just looked easier for all parties.

That's why average D on good teams just look better imo, you look at Peeke for example, he has looked pretty decent on Boston. Our D has it's flaws, but those flaws get exposed when the team isn't playing as a 5 Man unit

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I actually found that the team had some stretches where the forwards were really doing well to support the D and it made a massive difference. When we slowed the opposition down through the NZ the D were able to close the gaps better and everything just looked easier for all parties.

That's why average D on good teams just look better imo, you look at Peeke for example, he has looked pretty decent on Boston. Our D has it's flaws, but those flaws get exposed when the team isn't playing as a 5 Man unit
Yes, there were stretches after JM came in where the forwards/team D was better. And goaltending looked a little better often when that happened. But, consistency was still an issue. I guess the goal will to be get it down to routine and when it becomes 2nd nature.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So Andlauer wasn't willing to disclose Green's salary in his interview with Mendes, but he did give two hints, 1. he may very well be getting paid more that what coaches in some major markets are getting, and 2. he is the highest paid coach in sens history.

The rumour was DJ was getting 1.5 mil, so that's the baseline right there, Boston pays Montgomery 2 mil, Chi pays Richardson 1.5, Montreal pays St.Louis 3m, Nucks pay Tochett 2.75. Toronto was paying Keefe 1.95.

I'm not expecting him to get paid more than the top guys in that 4+ that we see in NY, VGK, Phi, and Dal, but 2-3 seems likely.
Just and fyi, Keefe’s 2 year extension starts next year at 3 million, assuming he gets picked up.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
In fairness, Green should not be the sole person blamed for any failures starting next season. Green deserves a fair shot, even though he was no where near my top choices for a new coach.

The previous GM built this roster and the current GM has to change it to make it competitive and playoff worthy.

Green is stuck with this roster. I want to see a team that plays much better without the puck, reduction in shots against, and reduction in goals against. Hopefully Green will be able to achieve that next season.

If the team is well under .500 after 41 games, I will blame both the new coach and the new GM.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I suspect Green's salary is probably $2M or less. His record does not support a higher salary than that at this time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I suspect Green's salary is probably $2M or less. His record does not support a higher salary than that at this time.
Did Tochett's record 178-200-60 record before Vancouver hired him support the 2.75 he got? It's almost idenditical to Green's 141-159-35 record in pts %.

Reactions: Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Really? that's it.

my stance on all things sports related is guilty until proven innocent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad