Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
We gotta live with it anyway, so the positives I see

1) has experience in a high pressure Canadian market
2) likes a physical team and we got Captain Tkachuk, should indicate the type of team Steve/Poulin want to build
3) had a long playing career
4) plays an attacking style, so at least we won't be boring to watch

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I think the main problem here, is there are half a dozen good coaches available, and I doubt a week ago that anyone here had Green in their top 3 candidates. Then to hear a rumor that money is a factor....yeah, this is the last fanbase you want to say that to.

Now, I get it. Andy has put money into the team. Bringing in some amateur scouts is great (I hope, we haven't seen how good they are yet!), and bringing in nutritional consultants and all that, but......amateur scouts are paid, what? $50-60k? The nutrition/fitness guy is what, $100-150k? It's spending money, but it's not Spending MONEY, if you know what I mean. Then add in Lebreton really cooling down and little murmurs about starting the process over with possibly a different arena location somewhere else in town and delaying a new arena for who knows how long, when you have the NCC practically begging someone to take that premium parcel....bad vibes.

We didn't have to get the most expensive coach. We didn't have to get the best name. But we really should've brought in someone who was at least on most peoples' top 3 lists, ya know? And hell, the way things are going, Toronto might just get Brind'Amour in the next two weeks...and if they do, I might just throw my tv out the window.
I think you have to consider that Ottawa's roster sucks donkey balls and shows minimal signs of improving any time soon. If I'm one of those "top 6" coaches there is no way I want to come coach a bottom third of the league team. If If am Brindamour I'd say Ottawa has to pay me $10M per season to coach there. I can't see any reason a top coach would want to be here. I can see reasons why a B tier coach would want to take on this challenge, namely that they aren't getting hired by a top 10-15 team.

There's no McDavid or other transformational talent here either, so it isn't like you're inheriting and an unpolished diamond.

More than likely any coach is being set up to fail here and that's going to limit who is interested.

Reactions: NyQuil

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think you have to consider that Ottawa's roster sucks donkey balls and shows minimal signs of improving any time soon. If I'm one of those "top 6" coaches there is no way I want to come coach a bottom third of the league team. If If am Brindamour I'd say Ottawa has to pay me $10M per season to coach there. I can't see any reason a top coach would want to be here. I can see reasons why a B tier coach would want to take on this challenge, namely that they aren't getting hired by a top 10-15 team.

There's no McDavid or other transformational talent here either, so it isn't like you're inheriting and an unpolished diamond.

More than likely any coach is being set up to fail here and that's going to limit who is interested.

Then I'd say any coach who thinks that way is not a good coach. This is a young team with some skilled guys who need someone to unlock their potential. That's a nice opportunity for a coach to strut their stuff.

Yes, the roster is constructed badly. Yes goaltending sucks. Yes, we need a good 2 RDs to be competitive. But you can also see the same amount of roster flaws on 20 teams in the league at any given time.

But there's also only 32 head coaching jobs in this league. And we did have a couple big names over the past few years who seemed genuinely interested in coaching here.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think the main problem here, is there are half a dozen good coaches available, and I doubt a week ago that anyone here had Green in their top 3 candidates. Then to hear a rumor that money is a factor....yeah, this is the last fanbase you want to say that to.

Now, I get it. Andy has put money into the team. Bringing in some amateur scouts is great (I hope, we haven't seen how good they are yet!), and bringing in nutritional consultants and all that, but......amateur scouts are paid, what? $50-60k? The nutrition/fitness guy is what, $100-150k? It's spending money, but it's not Spending MONEY, if you know what I mean. Then add in Lebreton really cooling down and little murmurs about starting the process over with possibly a different arena location somewhere else in town and delaying a new arena for who knows how long, when you have the NCC practically begging someone to take that premium parcel....bad vibes.

We didn't have to get the most expensive coach. We didn't have to get the best name. But we really should've brought in someone who was at least on most peoples' top 3 lists, ya know? And hell, the way things are going, Toronto might just get Brind'Amour in the next two weeks...and if they do, I might just throw my tv out the window.
Where did you hear that money was a factor

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
It keeps getting worse. Friedman saying that we went far in negotiations with Berube but the issue was the money.

BEST IN CLASS HAHAHAHAHAHA

I am just done man, I can’t justify shit like this anymore. I need a second team like a motherf***er.
Tbh, I'm assuming he's heading to the Leafs who already had one recently notable long term-big money coaching hire that completely floundered less than half way through his contract. If Toronto is offering Berube Babcock level money/term do you really want to get into a bidding war with them? Is he really worth the $5-7mill at 6-8 years he's about to pick up from a very desperate PoHo Shanahan?

No. Not even close.

Though I would have gone with Julien @2 years every day of the week before Green.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Ironically Brind’Amour said this season when we played Carolina he thought we were one of the teams that could win it all and didn’t know why things haven’t worked out.

Mind you I’m not sure why he thought that or under the impression he’d come here given a choice, but I don’t know that everyone views this roster as hopelessly as some here do.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I’m now officially over with the handwringing, got it out of my system. Travis Green is our head coach signed for 4 years, he’s an Ottawa Senator and that’s all that matters now.

Why would we not get behind him?
I look forward to him finding the formula and kicking ass.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Haven't seen a hiring this panned in while

Could turn out wrong, but I am not optimistic whatsoever

Even if Berube was priced out, I can't believe they chose this guy over

Evason, Gallant, Mclellan, Woodcroft, Julien, Boudreau

I could go on

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I would think best in class refers to running a professional org, not overpaying for every flavour of the month coach or ufa. A great org should want to find the next one, not try to recycle the last one. There definitely seems an appeal to experience here. I wonder if the analytics would suggest that's warranted. I bet Travis Green would know.

Reactions: inthewings

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I thought Jacques Martin said we need an experience coach? I don’t get it..
What Jacque Martin says and what the budget allows are two different things. I am really not sure how Green became the frontrunner. I really hope he proves me wrong. I would honestly prefer that.

Haven't seen a hiring this panned in while

Could turn out wrong, but I am not optimistic whatsoever

Even if Berube was priced out, I can't believe they chose this guy over

Evason, Gallant, Mclellan, Woodcroft, Julien, Boudreau

I could go on
All of these coaches have playoff experience.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
What Jacque Martin says and what the budget allows are two different things. I am really not sure how Green became the frontrunner. I really hope he proves me wrong. I would honestly prefer that.

All of these coaches have playoff experience.
Yeah it really does make me think alot of this came down to $$$$

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
This is a big move for Staios. If Green performs as many expect, Staios is going to take a lot of heat for trying to be the smartest guy in the room. Fans aren't going to be patient with this choice and a lot of the goodwill the org has built since Andlauer took the reigns will be lost if the team takes another step back this upcoming season. If the team performs well, then Staios will build a massive amount of trust. This is definitely a gamble that, as a Sens fan, I hope pays off.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
I’m now officially over with the handwringing, got it out of my system. Travis Green is our head coach signed for 4 years, he’s an Ottawa Senator and that’s all that matters now.

that's the spirit!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This is a big move for Staios. If Green performs as many expect, Staios is going to take a lot of heat for trying to be the smartest guy in the room. Fans aren't going to be patient with this choice and a lot of the goodwill the org has built since Andlauer took the reigns will be lost if the team takes another step back this upcoming season. If the team performs well, then Staios will build a massive amount of trust. This is definitely a gamble that, as a Sens fan, I hope pays off.

It does feel like a "smartest guy in the room" move by Staios, but the money aspect can't be ignored. Looks like we were never getting a top-tier coach regardless since Andlauer doesn't want to pay for elite talent behind the bench.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
We gotta live with it anyway, so the positives I see

1) has experience in a high pressure Canadian market
2) likes a physical team and we got Captain Tkachuk, should indicate the type of team Steve/Poulin want to build
3) had a long playing career
4) plays an attacking style, so at least we won't be boring to watch
Every single player in Vancouver who played a physical style stopped after playing under Green, and he consistently cut/scratched that type of player in favour of useless plugs who brought absolutely nothing to the lineup. He also really doesn't play an attacking style, to the point he was destroying the confidence of the offensive guys. Youre best bet is to run that idiot out of town before he causes lasting damage. He's truly not qualified to coach professionals in any capacity.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Alright these board visitors are getting old fast.

As always with this boards' overreacting, it won't be as bad as we imagine it will be. It all depends on the players now, are they ready to play as a team?

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

You'll have to tell us when he found the formula previously. The WHL? He had better perform. It's as simple as that. If we miss the playoffs next season, I'll be cheering for Vancouver the season after.

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Alright these board visitors are getting old fast.

As always with this boards' overreacting, it won't be as bad as we imagine it will be. It all depends on the players now, are they ready to play as a team?
I would have rather stuck with Martin. Green does not inspire me in any way, shape or form.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
So there's really no such thing as previously successful GM and head coach.

What there is is recently fired GM and head coach. They were fired because they have not been successful

I can not think of a single GM type that's available without some level of stench

And on the coaching front, you've got Berube and literally every other name has pros and warts and their most recent experience is warts

And you know who the big names in coaching are now? Guys without prior experience that were hired and successful. They're not available mind you. But I'm pointing out the obvious

Looking at the Jack Adam’s votes there is a lot of veteran coaches. There always seems to be a flash in the pan coach or two every year and I don’t think someone like Knoblauch is actually a top coach.

You make a good point that GMs are a smaller pool to chose from and there are awful GMs who keep getting hired after abysmal results. I wasn’t nearly as worried with Staois when the messaging was best in class and he can surround himself with experience like JM.

The problem with our situation is our team is not strong enough to win with a mediocre at best coach. We needed a Berube to have any chance at actually having a run with this core. The window is already closing, the prospect shelf is empty. So we are taking a chance trying to save some bucks when we have a short stretch of opportunity before clearly another 5+ years of pain.

Dorion stripped this teams assets to an unprecedented low for a rebuilding team that hasn’t made the playoffs. We can’t re tool like other teams.

Would have been nice to have a top coach for a few years, pray to god we strike gold at the draft, and have some fun playoff years where we aren’t a contender, but at least not the laughing stock of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad