Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He played in the playoffs for Ottawa before ever playing a home game as a senator?

Might not be the way you remembered it lol
Pretty sure it was his first home game in 2009-2010 or 2010-2011...? We signed him on a Canada Day.

EDIT: signed summer of 2010 and boo'd at the home opener in 2011. Not his first home game ever but it was still pathetic.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
#2 sounds about right.

The bigger disappointment is that Andlauer had 3 big roles to fill after taking over: POHO, GM and Head Coach.

After what this fanbase has seen, I think everyone would have settled for one of those roles being filled by someone with a winning pedigree at the NHL level. Just one! Any of them! Bring in rookies for the other two, that would've been fine.

And instead, we have Staios, Staios and Green.
Personal Injury Law Firm

• Haha
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My point was that many "great" coaches are the product of great goaltending. Nothing more.
Too limited.

I think great coaches are the product of great teams which includes goaltenders, defencemen and forwards.

Great teams are the product of an owner that outspends or spends to the cap and has an astute intelligent and fortunate GM to form the roster.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
#2 sounds about right.

The bigger disappointment is that Andlauer had 3 big roles to fill after taking over: POHO, GM and Head Coach.

After what this fanbase has seen, I think everyone would have settled for one of those roles being filled by someone with a winning pedigree at the NHL level. Just one! Any of them! Bring in rookies for the other two, that would've been fine.

And instead, we have Staios, Staios and Green.
I was hoping for both an experienced and previously successful GM and head coach, not rookies nor unsuccessful GM and head coach. Getting one would give me higher hopes; getting none has left me deflated thinking that we have another Dorion era underway. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Samboni

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Struggling to find a single Devils or Canucks fan say anything positive about Green. Even DJ Smith had his defenders.

As for the the media, there isn’t a coach in the world we could have hired without some Athletic puff piece about him, so I don’t put much stock into that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Struggling to find a single Devils or Canucks fan say anything positive about Green. Even DJ Smith had his defenders.

As for the the media, there isn’t a coach in the world we could have hired without some Athletic puff piece about him, so I don’t put much stock into that.
I wouldn't put much (any actually) stock in what fans think about a coach.

Green struggled in Vancouver and the Devils had the relatively-common "step back after a great season" season. No fan will have anything good to say about him in those circumstances.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Green struggled in Vancouver and the Devils had the relatively-common "step back after a great season" season. No fan will have anything good to say about him in those circumstances.
Green is going to be great for thi franchise. Green has something to prove and so does this hockey team. I didnt like the taste of the signing yesterday, today after doing more research I’m down with it.

If Travis Green gets the Sens to the playoffs next season:

1. - Green is coach of the year
2. - Sens make playoffs he will instantly be recognized as a top 10 NHL coach

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Green is going to be great for thi franchise. Green has something to prove and so does this hockey team. I didnt like the taste of the signing yesterday, today after doing more research I’m down with it.

If Travis Green gets the Sens to the playoffs next season:

1. - Green is coach of the year
2. - Sens make playoffs he will instantly be recognized as a top 10 NHL coach
I am certainly less apprehensive than I was when I found out.

It is done. Let's see if it works.

I agree that in pro sports, you can go from zero-to-hero (and vice-versa), very quickly.

Reactions: WallyD and Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I am certainly less apprehensive than I was when I found out.

It is done. Let's see if it works.

I agree that in pro sports, you can go from zero-to-hero (and vice-versa), very quickly.

His intensity is what has me believing. I just can’t see him being denied. Greig, Brady, Kleven, Pinto, Stu, Batherson - I can’t think of a player on the roster who doesn’t improve with him here.

Green has a ton to prove and I don’t think he’ll miss this time. The focus this team will have this year - don’t think we’ve seen that since EK came back possessed and took us to the conference finals.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
When we signed Korpisalo I remember thinking that we could be overreacting and we should get mad when it actually proves to be a terrible play.

hope this turns out better lol.

If Green turns Korpisalo into a winner the Sens will change to an all Green uniform

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His intensity is what has me believing. I just can’t see him being denied. Greig, Brady, Kleven, Pinto, Stu, Batherson - I can’t think of a player on the roster who doesn’t improve with him here.

Green has a ton to prove and I don’t think he’ll miss this time. The focus this team will have this year - don’t think we’ve seen that since EK came back possessed and took us to the conference finals.
He is going to be very demanding. This is really going to be sink or swim for Chabot. The fact he is having surgery makes me really worried about how he is going to be able to handle training camp. I bet he gets hurt again.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I want to know what Gil thinks about a coach and I want to base my opinion off that.

He shouldn’t even be on the roster let’s hope he gets traded or bought out even tho we don’t save much at least we win with Korpi not playing nets for us!
Korpisalo will be first up as the victim in the slashing drill.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Devils fans are one of the most out to lunch fanbases on this forum. They dont believe in anything but analytics. They never want to blame their players, its ALWAYS the coachs fault. If they start to take into consideration things like physicality and compete they face a very ugly truth. That team is built to win in the PWHL. Hughes can never stay healthy, he threw his own goalies under the bus. Jsut not a leader, this new age american player have terrible reputations for being selfish and clicky. I have a friend who is pals with Nasradine who was their assistant coach. You wouldnt believe some of the stuff that goes on with that group in that room. They wont be winning anything anytime soon.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Context that Vancouver was a dumpster fire is helpful. And that the regime there loved shitty d men and tried to force them into top roles.

Reactions: LiseL

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
It keeps getting worse. Friedman saying that we went far in negotiations with Berube but the issue was the money.

BEST IN CLASS HAHAHAHAHAHA

I am just done man, I can’t justify shit like this anymore. I need a second team like a motherf***er.

Rags look like a fun team to flirt with. Was fun few months to pretend we would soon have an average GM and coach combo. Back to the dumpster we go.

Reactions: Relapsing

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the main problem here, is there are half a dozen good coaches available, and I doubt a week ago that anyone here had Green in their top 3 candidates. Then to hear a rumor that money is a factor....yeah, this is the last fanbase you want to say that to.

Now, I get it. Andy has put money into the team. Bringing in some amateur scouts is great (I hope, we haven't seen how good they are yet!), and bringing in nutritional consultants and all that, but......amateur scouts are paid, what? $50-60k? The nutrition/fitness guy is what, $100-150k? It's spending money, but it's not Spending MONEY, if you know what I mean. Then add in Lebreton really cooling down and little murmurs about starting the process over with possibly a different arena location somewhere else in town and delaying a new arena for who knows how long, when you have the NCC practically begging someone to take that premium parcel....bad vibes.

We didn't have to get the most expensive coach. We didn't have to get the best name. But we really should've brought in someone who was at least on most peoples' top 3 lists, ya know? And hell, the way things are going, Toronto might just get Brind'Amour in the next two weeks...and if they do, I might just throw my tv out the window.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tanev is a very good defenceman who had the worst years of his career under Green.
He wore an 'A' the entire time that Green was a coach and had his best offensive season of his career. Did Green steal your girlfriend?

Speaking of which maybe the Green hire can help the sens recruit Tanev.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Devils fans are one of the most out to lunch fanbases on this forum.
And Canucks fans are the most home-team-fanboy-don't-know-hockey group on the web, besides the Habs cult. I'm starting not to feel to bad about not seeing any equivocating drop-ins from fans of either the Devils or Canucks.

I'm starting to think the three-day lead time between leak and press conference was to let us boil off our incredulity, and receive him with a bit more grace.

Reactions: LiseL

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Money thing needs context before it can be judged.

Let's say their number one choice is Berube, and their number two is Green.

Berube wants 7M and Green wants half.

Feeling that 7M is too much for a head coach doesn't mean this was a budget decision in the way people are presenting it. 9/10 teams in the league have budgets. The management has to work within a framework that makes sense fiscally. That doesn't mean that they are a budget team in the same way Ottawa was or Arizona was. It means like all businesses, there is an upper limit to what they can spend for each department, and they have to strategically allocate that money.

So we need that added context. Is it:
1 - We aren't willing to spend like most teams.
2 - We are willing to spend like most teams, but management doesn't perceive the difference between Berube and Green to be with double or triple Green's salary, when that money could be more effectively allocated.

The above is just using random numbers or names to illustrate a point. I'm not suggesting we wanted Berube or that he has been confirmed to want 7M.
This is the hockey equivalent of having champagne taste on a beer budget.
My point was that many "great" coaches are the product of great goaltending. Nothing more.
Is the inverse true? Are "bad" coaches the product of bad goaltending?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was hoping for both an experienced and previously successful GM and head coach, not rookies nor unsuccessful GM and head coach. Getting one would give me higher hopes; getting none has left me deflated thinking that we have another Dorion era underway. I hope I am wrong.
So there's really no such thing as previously successful GM and head coach.

What there is is recently fired GM and head coach. They were fired because they have not been successful

I can not think of a single GM type that's available without some level of stench

And on the coaching front, you've got Berube and literally every other name has pros and warts and their most recent experience is warts

And you know who the big names in coaching are now? Guys without prior experience that were hired and successful. They're not available mind you. But I'm pointing out the obvious

Last edited:
Reactions: lancepitlick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad