Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What's Green making? Probably $2-2.25M per year for 4 years?

If you had paid Berube $6Mx4 instead, that's a $15M difference over the course of 4 seasons. There are all sorts of ways to justify that expense and make it back.

For an NHL team owned by a billionaire, that shouldn't be a deal breaker. And if it is, yes, it signals to me that the group is cheap and will cut corners.

And no, if you're a billionaire to whom I'm paying thousands a year for tickets, on top of the $18 Bud Lights and $25 corn field parking rates, I have no problem asking you to spend some money on a good coach.

If you can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought the team.
15 million is not significant money. Ok got it. This is for an organization that even last year lost money spending to the cap. But now the standard is only spending the most of any team in the league on the coach but if they arent willing to do that they shouldnt have bought the team. Got it. Whats next 'the budget will balance itself'?

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Yeah, the nucks were coming off a 69 pt season, and 75 pts the year before, when Green took over, maybe try and actually understand the situation he came into before comparing it to Sullivan coming into the Bruins

I do think that Willie Desjardins was an even worse coach than Travis Green. Thank god we didn't hire him.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Yes, I would have gladly handed Berube ~$5.5-6M to be this team's head coach.

We wouldn't bat an eye at bringing in another top 6 winger or 2nd pairing RD at that price, would we?

Well over the next 5 years, I'd argue that bringing in a coach like Berube would do more for this team's culture and trajectory than any single player could.
This love for Berube is over the top. He basically rode a young goaltender on a year long heater to a Stanley Cup and then proceeded to do precious little in his next 4 1/2 seasons with the Blues. He may think he is Scotty Bowman but he ain't him.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
So now the standard is only spending the most of any team in the league on the coach but if they arent willing to do that they shouldnt have bought the team. Got it. Whats next 'the budget will balance itself'?

No, the standard is hiring at least one person in a management or coaching role that has a recent, winning pedigree in the NHL. Someone that can set the standard for your organization.

It didn't have to be Berube. It could have been McLellan. It could have been an experienced GM to support Staios.

If you're going to try to tell the fans you're "best in class" while putting rookies and people who've won jack shit in every key role... then no, you shouldn't have bought the team.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's staios first hire too. So you know hes going to give the guy a lot of rope.

God damn I miss there being some optimism in the sens for that few months between andlaure buying the team and naming staios gm.

What a joke

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
This love for Berube is over the top. He basically rode a young goaltender on a year long heater to a Stanley Cup and then proceeded to do precious little in his next 4 1/2 seasons with the Blues. He may think he is Scotty Bowman but he ain't him.
It's reached point of absurdity. Fired after two seasons in Philadelphia. Fired after 4.5 seasons in St. Louis. Reason to believe he probably would have had to be the highest paid coach in the NHL in order to come here. And most of HF Sens is making it sound like not paying Craig Berube 5/25 or 5/30 or whatever is an inexcusable failure.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No, the standard is hiring at least one person in a management or coaching role that has a recent, winning pedigree in the NHL. Someone that can set the standard for your organization.

It didn't have to be Berube. It could have been McLellan. It could have been an experienced GM to support Staios.

If you're going to try to tell the fans you're "best in class" while putting rookies and people who've won jack shit in every key role... then no, you shouldn't have bought the team.

The senators finally turned the corner when they brought in an experienced gm in Marshall Johnston and an experienced coach in Jaques Martin.

Andlauer is bringing in amateurs and hoping for pros.

It's deeply disheartening

Reactions: DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We got the Acura of coaches.

"Nice Acura...I thought you were going with the Bimmer?"

"I was, but this thing brakes and turns good, and 0-60 is right there...and it is $10K less!"

You're being generous; I think it's more like a Trabant. He even looks like it.

1715109852098.png

Entirely possible that Andlauer actually meant what he said about "best in class", being willing to spend what it took to get a top coach, etc., and then reality hit him like a tidal wave. Just as is the case with players, Ottawa is not a preferred destination to say the least, meaning that we have to overpay on both money and term. Berube was probably looking for at least 5x5, maybe more, which would have made the owner queasy. (It's worth noting that the problem in Carolina right now is money - Dundon doesn't like paying big money to coaches, who he views deep down as being disposable.) Heck, we had to give Travis Green - Travis freaking Green - four years of term so that he would come here. Once at the top candidates either bypassed Ottawa or demanded too much money and term, they ended up settling on a mid candidate like Green and talked themselves into him. That's how I imagine it went down...

I don't even mind saving money on the head coach, but then surely Claude Julien was available and could be hired for similar (and possibly lower) salary, without the leaf stench?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Let’s say Berube wants 4 mil x 5 yrs and Green got 2.5 mil for 4 yrs.

That’s a difference of 10 million dollars. It’s not insignificant.

Obviously these are random numbers, but the point is with term it adds up.
Over 4 years? 10mil?? For a billionaire? Difference between Stanley cups and nothing potentially?

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024

He's won a Stanley Cup and has otherwise put up a 268-186 record as a head coach.

I'd say that's pretty good, no?

And if there was a Scottie Bowman (maybe Jon Cooper?) coaching today, I'd gladly pay them more than Berube if they had been available.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The senators finally turned the corner when they brought in an experienced gm in Marshall Johnston and an experienced coach in Jaques Martin.

Andlauer is bringing in amateurs and hoping for pros.

It's deeply disheartening
Travis Greene has more NHL tenure now than Jacques Martin did in 1995.

Reactions: LiseL and Loach

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Would people more or less happy with Gruden than Green?

I'm going to wait for tomorrow's presser to get the full details, or as much as they are willing to divulge, before going full Pejorative Slur.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'll be a bit constructive here, and suggest that Travis Green clearly is clearly respected at a relatively young age to get an NHL HC position, and retains enough respect in hockey circles to now have gotten multiple looks at NHL head coaching positions.
We have seen plenty of these head coaching storylines where these younger coaches get off to a weird start - maybe some minor playoff success, but also some disappointing regular seasons that leave you scratching your head like, "how come they keep giving this guy looks?". Guys like Paul Maurice, Rick Bowness, and even Rick Tocchet come to mind in this category, and those guys all had amazing outings with their respective clubs this year.
There may just be something about Green that impresses management/hockey ops staff, and it's entirely conceivable that someone can get better at the art of coaching into their venerable years. Green might spin out here but there's plenty of precedent to the contrary.
This is a good point.

Basically all my Canuck fan friends were livid when Tocchet was hired. They sounded like some people here just absolutely hating it. We saw how that worked out.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I do think that Willie Desjardins was an even worse coach than Travis Green. Thank god we didn't hire him.
The nucks were a rebuilding team that was seeing it's two franchise players take their sunset season, the Bruins were a playoff team looking to take the next step, they aren't remotely comparable situations regardless of what you think of Desjardins. The Sedins were 50 pts players when Green took over, not a prime hockey Hall of famer like Thornton.

Expectations for Sullivan was a deep playoff run, for green it was develope the kids through a rebuild. Comparing their records is just a pointless exercise than brings zero insight.

Reactions: LiseL

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Over 4 years? 10mil?? For a billionaire? Difference between Stanley cups and nothing potentially?
Well that’s my point. It’s possible they didn’t think it was the difference between Stanley Cups.

Fans are projecting their perceptions of Berube and Green onto Staios. Just because we might think there is a major difference between them, doesn’t mean our GM agrees.

Reactions: Dionysus

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Travis Greene has more NHL tenure now than Jacques Martin did in 1995.

As a head coach, yes. Jacques Martin had also spent the two prior seasons as an assistant on one of the best teams in the NHL (he left the Avs midseason the year they won the cup in 1996) and was brought in with the expectation of "it'll take a few years for us to make the playoffs".

Travis Green has been on an above .500% staff once in 6 seasons as an NHL coach and is being brought in to a situation where it's playoffs or bust for this group.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Expectations for Sullivan was a deep playoff run, for green it was develope the kids through a rebuild. Comparing their records is just a pointless exercise than brings zero insight.

Right, but I'm not the one who brought up Sullivan. The posters who are saying "Coach X was bad in his first stint but look at him after so you can't judge Green on his record in Vancouver" are. The trouble is, most of these coaches were not as bad as Green has been. And they didn't get new jobs right after. They had to prove themselves again on winning staffs.

Jacques Martin did it with the Avs. Sullivan did it with the Rangers.

Green hasn't done that. He spent 60 games with Lindy Ruff during a season where the Devils were maybe the biggest disappointment in the league, and after he took over as interim HC, they performed even worse.

And sure, maybe he works out like those guys. But for every Mike Sullivan or Rick Tocchet, there are five or six Dallas Eakins and Craig Hartsburgs.

I don't think this team is in the stage or position where they should be taking such a "well let's hope for the best" gamble on a guy who's proven nothing. 5 years ago? Okay. Today? Winning pedigree should have been a primary criteria.

Last edited:

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Will the writers & people who cover the team actually ask the team how much Travis Green makes per yr

Or they just gunna pretend it's not a money thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad