Travel Thread

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
Definitely Almaty, possibly Astana if time permits. Definitely want to get out into the wilderness, too - going east toward the Chinese border looks gorgeous!

There honestly isn't much to see in Astana, you can cover it all in a day and there's nothing but steppe around it. So, I would tell you to go only if you really have extra time. The south of the country really is amazing, just be careful with visas and permits (don't forget a 10000kzt note can solve a lot of problems). I hope you enjoy the visit, feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Re: your first post. Is the work being done on Trevi Fountain done? I was in Rome last June and it was all fenced off and you could barely see any of it. :(

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Flying into Spokane for a triathlon in Idaho... and then driving to Seattle for a few days, and then driving to Portland for a few days, with a day trip to Tillamook. Very excited.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Re: your first post. Is the work being done on Trevi Fountain done? I was in Rome last June and it was all fenced off and you could barely see any of it. :(

It is! Was completed this fall. So happy that it's done.

I MAY (assuming I can get my passport back from the visa agency) be able to take a trip to Palau before I head to the Philippines for work.

Been high on the list for a while now.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
We came back from three week trip from Dominican Republic little less than a month back.

I was thinking of doing one weekend trip in April, somewhere in Europe. But after that, I have to start looking at the East. Maybe Singapore/Vietnam would be nice. Anyone have any experience from there?

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
We came back from three week trip from Dominican Republic little less than a month back.

I was thinking of doing one weekend trip in April, somewhere in Europe. But after that, I have to start looking at the East. Maybe Singapore/Vietnam would be nice. Anyone have any experience from there?

I've done Tokyo a bunch, Bangkok and Phuket for a week last year, and 14 hours in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I hear great things about Singapore and Vietnam both. Had a friend do Vietnam and Cambodia last year and he said it was the best trip he's ever done.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
There honestly isn't much to see in Astana, you can cover it all in a day and there's nothing but steppe around it. So, I would tell you to go only if you really have extra time. The south of the country really is amazing, just be careful with visas and permits (don't forget a 10000kzt note can solve a lot of problems). I hope you enjoy the visit, feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the insight! I don't expect there to be a lot for us to do in Astana, but just wandering around and taking in the manufactured grandeur of the city will be interesting. It looks like they were trying to recreate Bucharest's Bulevardul Unirii, but with glass and steel instead of trees and bricks. There's nothing like it anywhere near where I'm from :nod:

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I've done Tokyo a bunch, Bangkok and Phuket for a week last year, and 14 hours in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I hear great things about Singapore and Vietnam both. Had a friend do Vietnam and Cambodia last year and he said it was the best trip he's ever done.

I'm going to Tokyo in May. Any recommendations for food/drink?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Flights booked for this year:

-Liberia (for work)
-Giving myself a nice 5 day layover in Ghana for fun afterwards

- Booked a Botswana & Zimbabwe safari last night too at a separate time.

- London for work in July
- Spending a few days in Istanbul afterwards

Wild year of traveling.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This August I'm taking my annual trip to Orlando, Florida. Made my Walt Disney World reservation this past December and a few days ago made my Hotel reservations at various Hampton Inn and Fairfield Inn & Suites locations along Interstate 75 since I drive down.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Doing a long trip starting late May. Going to hike /camp from Moscow, Russia taking a train to the Pamir mountains , through Uzbekistan , Turkmenistan , Kazakhstan , and finally Tajikistan. Still on the fence about doing the Wakkan Corridor through northern Afghanistan. And then going to spend a month in Thailand/Cambodia. Spent some time in Cambodia this past November and absolutely loved the place.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Doing a long trip starting late May. Going to hike /camp from Moscow, Russia taking a train to the Pamir mountains , through Uzbekistan , Turkmenistan , Kazakhstan , and finally Tajikistan. Still on the fence about doing the Wakkan Corridor through northern Afghanistan. And then going to spend a month in Thailand/Cambodia. Spent some time in Cambodia this past November and absolutely loved the place.

Please report back on the first leg of this trip. Highly intrigued.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Concluding a stay in Madrid with previous stops in Bilbao and Barcelona.

Next up is the South of Spain (Sevilla, Gibraltar, Cetua) followed by ending my trip in Lisbon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad