Speculation: Training camp talk

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
So I just looked this up... Carrier has been our #1 scoring D in Milwaukee ALL FOUR YEARS HE PLAYED THERE. Even as a rookie! He's smallish - but not tiny. Then again, we've been playing Weber. I don't get the sense that he's terrible defensively or that he's slow or has any other drastic flaws. I mean, if you can't advance a guy after 4 years as your #1 D, welllll... :dunno:

I'm a little surprised he signed on for 3 more years. A lot of guys would be getting seriously frustrated in his situation. I hope he extracted assurances before signing. And I hope the Preds don't take advantage of his naivete if he didn't.

I get it that Weber is a guy that is liked, a nice guy, a good guy, so then give him a front office job but don't give him a spot that takes away from one of the younger guys like Carrier! If Carrier and Weber are about even then give Carrier a chance! Weber gives you nothing new from last year.

Both are 5'11" and Weber is 20lbs heavier and 8 years older.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I get it that Weber is a guy that is liked, a nice guy, a good guy, so then give him a front office job but don't give him a spot that takes away from one of the younger guys like Carrier! If Carrier and Weber are about even then give Carrier a chance! Weber gives you nothing new from last year.

Both are 5'11" and Weber is 20lbs heavier and 8 years older.
Looks like the top 6 on D are set. Position 7 is due to be a pressbox position. Carrier may be the 3rd pair “call-up” but he needs to be playing somewhere. Weber, if he gets a contract, needs to be the press box position. And don’t forget; Tinordi did all Preds asked last year and deserves more than a glance.
But Carrier needs to be playing not sitting.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Looks like the top 6 on D are set. Position 7 is due to be a pressbox position. Carrier may be the 3rd pair “call-up” but he needs to be playing somewhere. Weber, if he gets a contract, needs to be the press box position. And don’t forget; Tinordi did all Preds asked last year and deserves more than a glance.

I agree with both Tinordi and Carrier comments. Tinordi played half as many games as Weber and scored more than Weber AS well as he was the ONLY Pred that went after Bortuzzo in the next game when they played and Tinordi was not even on the team at the time of the Arvidsson injury. Then he also went after Perry as well! That means a lot to me! Sometimes you need a 6'6" 240lb D-man on your team who will stand up for your teammates!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Since we don't have a farm team, and since we don't have any Salary Cap constraints, I think that should automatically imply that we maximize our regular roster and our Taxi Squad. That's 23+6 spots.

"Playing" is not the same as a normal year. Waiving Carrier, assuming he clears waivers and no other team takes him (probably safe), means he gets assigned to Chicago and plays some part of a 30-game season or whatever, no playoffs, which could also be shut down at any moment if Covid restrictions ramp up when a new administration takes over and the national perspective shifts a bit. Who really knows.

I think you just put Carrier in our starting 23. He has played 4 years already in the AHL. What really is some additional handful of chaotic parts of a 5th year really going to add at this point? He might as well be practicing with our NHL team, and work him into a few games at least. Maybe we'll learn in our division that there are certain matchups where putting the smaller skilled inexperienced 3rd pair RD into games is a more viable option.

I wouldn't put too much of an emphasis on Carrier needing to play games this year, all things considered. He has kind of outgrown that level as a prospect.

Reactions: Scoresberg

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Of the 7 “not fit to play” players plus Granlund, Kunin and Haula(10 total) how many are now practicing? I know Ekholm and Kunin are. What about the other 8? Is Granlund in Nashville yet and is he currently in quarantine? Ditto for Haula?
Sorry if I’m missing this in the midst of many posts.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Of the 7 “not fit to play” players plus Granlund, Kunin and Haula(10 total) how many are now practicing? I know Ekholm and Kunin are. What about the other 8? Is Granlund in Nashville yet and is he currently in quarantine? Ditto for Haula?
Sorry if I’m missing this in the midst of many posts.

There was no practice today but as of yesterday Granlund, Haula, and Duchene are the only players yet to practice. Haula was originally out due to the birth of his child but is now listed as out due to quarantine requirements so I presume he will be back soon. Granlund is still listed as immigration so he presumably is not yet in the US, but I haven't seen anything concrete.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
There was no practice today but as of yesterday Granlund, Haula, and Duchene are the only players yet to practice. Haula was originally out due to the birth of his child but is now listed as out due to quarantine requirements so I presume he will be back soon. Granlund is still listed as immigration so he presumably is not yet in the US, but I haven't seen anything concrete.
Thanks, good news.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Starting in 20.

ErPp90uXcAADUqS

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
First period notes:
  • JOFA looked really good. Whether on the PP or at EV, they were dominant.
  • Gold was lagging behind the entire period. Tough to single out guys who held their own but I thought Carrier and Pitlick were fine. Tolvanen did not have a good first period.
  • Was disappointed in the Sissons line. Even against lesser competition, they could not get going. Liking the Haula addition more and more.
  • Gold gave waaay too much space for Forsberg on the PP.
  • Borowiecki is much faster than I thought.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
2nd period notes:
  • Saros getting shelled. He hasn't had any luck whatsoever, and you can't blame him for lot of the goals but still. He's not looking very sharp.
  • Josi-Ellis dominant as expected.
  • I don't like Trenin carrying the puck, he's turnover prone when he does it. Fortunately, on a real line he doesn't have to. Was nice to see him score.
  • Pitlick does not look like center material. Gets beaten defensively in front a lot. I would've liked to see him on the wing.
  • A much better period for the Sissons line, got some o-zone time and chances.
  • Olivier having a strong showing with 2 goals. Overpowered Ekholm on that 2nd goal.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
McCarron is big but I liked his game tonight. Thought Fabbro and Ekholm struggled, Ekholm couldn't keep his feet for some reason. Pitlick looked okay, Tolvanen, was meh. Forsberg and Johansen looked a level above everyone else. Benning was solid, Boro was okay. Trenin looked good, so did Kunin.

McCarron

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Only one scrimmage, but Saros seems to not have improved on rebound control. Hope it improves, but it always has been a concern with him.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
McCarron is big but I liked his game tonight. Thought Fabbro and Ekholm struggled, Ekholm couldn't keep his feet for some reason. Pitlick looked okay, Tolvanen, was meh. Forsberg and Johansen looked a level above everyone else. Benning was solid, Boro was okay. Trenin looked good, so did Kunin.

Thanks for the report, you are probably the opinion I trust most when it comes to player evaluation on this board.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Jofa looked good, that was nice to see.

I liked Olivier tonight.

Didn't really like a lot of the gold team, looked like they were kind of just out there.

Some of those goals Saros had no chance, but I still wanted more from him. Hopefully he gets more help next game.

But man, it was nice to watch some live Preds hockey!!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Any minor trepidation I might have had that JoFA would get broken up to start the season can at least be put to rest now.

But the taxi squad is such a tough call. You watch this, you think McCarron and Olivier need to be there, and guys like Pitlick and Tolvanen, "best prospects" or not, probably play in Chicago. But it's just 1 scrimmage. Not many days left for guys to make their case.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Cousins got a lot of attention too. I wasn't watching closely enough to really have much of an opinion, the whole game was too boring, but he was frequently lauded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad