OT: Tragically Hip Concert streamed live

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Never had the opportunity to see them live, just thankful they're doing this so everyone can get a chance to see one of Canada's best bands.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I honestly don't see the appeal of the hip. I feel if they were a US band, they would have gotten no where. It sure seems Like the only reason people like them is because they are Canadian, not because they make good mediocre music.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I honestly don't see the appeal of the hip. I feel if they were a US band, they would have gotten no where. It sure seems Like the only reason people like them is because they are Canadian, not because they make good mediocre music.

I've always enjoyed their music on the radio. Gord's a unique vocalist as well.. to each their own I guess.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

They write great music played by talented musicians, with an unique canadian vibe over the past 30 years. In their prime they had one of the best live shows out there.

Today is not the day to be knocking The Hip.

Watched a bit, they sound amazing!

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
I believe people like the hip, because they are great story tellers. It just so happens those stories are almost all Canadian, and told in eccentric fashion by the one and only Gord Downie. Probably the biggest reason they didn't break out in the states is because their music for the most part is unrelatable to our southern neighbours. They have always chose not to change that about themselves. The hip are your stereotypical Canadians in that they don't take **** from anybody but would still stop their bus on street to change an old ladies tire. They are loved by us, because they are all of us.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
All I can say is don't trust the Government. The Hip are exceptional and have a catalogue of great music, and no not just because they're Canadian.

PVRing this and going to really enjoy it but expect some sadness to creep in as well once it winds down.

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
All I can say is don't trust the Government. The Hip are exceptional and have a catalogue of great music, and no not just because they're Canadian.

PVRing this and going to really enjoy it but expect some sadness to creep in as well once it winds down.

I was good up until fiddlers green. Jesus

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Give the Hip there due they had longevity in a field that chews you up and spits you out,their catalogue is long and extensive. Not a fan either but it doesn't mean i don't appreciate what they have accomplished and joy that they have given there fans.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
One of the greatest bands in the world put on one of the greatest shows of all time. That's all that needs to be said

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Calm down and enjoy the show yall! :yo:

Great show, great moment.

SIV

Mar 10, 2013
It's amazing such a terrible band was allowed to play non stop on cbc without any commercial break. :sarcasm:

I really enjoyed the show tonight.

I want my money back from the Winnipeg show, they played a better set list tonight...:cry::sarcasm:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Wise man. I've worked for them for over twenty years and I don't trust them an inch.

As for the Hip, very good band no question. Tremendous number of songs off a wide variety of albums. It's a bit generational how much someone loves them it seems to me but no question they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Actually reached the point of being tired of seeing them play the Pyramid at one point because we saw them so much. Looking back now we definitely took that for granted.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I guess I must have been living under a rock for the past 20? years since I can't name one song they sing. 6 stories on the CBC website seems a bit over the top.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was good up until fiddlers green. Jesus

Had friends that lost their 6 month old daughter 2 years ago January so that beautiful song is tough to make it through dry eyed.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I guess I must have been living under a rock for the past 20? years since I can't name one song they sing. 6 stories on the CBC website seems a bit over the top.

Oh BS. If you don't know New Orleans is Sinking then you must literally have been living under a rock. :shakehead

Anyway, whether you're a fan or not (and I'm not a huge one myself) how bout just letting this one pass without giving the world your opinion of their abilities. No band appeals to everyone everywhere. The Hip are without doubt one of Canada's biggest bands and this is quite a unique "moment." [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
A sendoff worthy of one of the truly great performers. Gordie, I'm gonna miss the **** outta you. All the times I've seen them play our little Canadian city, I'll never forget any of them. Thank you Gord.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Great show! What a unique last little tour, good on them especially gord for puttin it on! Highway girl live version is still one of my fave songs from when I was a youngsta!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

maybe not a rock, but possibly a shack in the middle of nowhere.

6 stories on the CBC website? i don't think you really grasp the significance of a) the band b) the CBC wanting to promote something unique that they were airing c) people's love for the band.

they're one of the few mainstream bands that i'm proud to love. i remember having to explain to my music geek friends "you know, 'Phantom Power' is a really, really good album. i'm embarrassed to say that I really like the Hip."

in Toronto, the Hip thing's a bit different. you get a lot of Leaf jersey-wearing bro cheeseheads who like the band and ruin it for others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad