Value of: Trading up for Sam Dickinson

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think he's referring specifically to trade ups in that top ten range.

I don't think there's been a straight trade up / down transaction in the top ten since that year the Islanders did it twice, and that was like 15 years ago.
Ahh I see, yeah it's been a while, bit this is a very all over the place draft board. Who knows. But you go back to those trades from back then and they certainly didn't cost an arm and a leg to move up

Reactions: Forge

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
interesting
I'd be willing to give up Mercer if it got me Dickinson, and I am LOATHE to give up mercer in almost any case. (This would not be alongside 10th overall)

Dman is tough, and I know that's a need for Utah because I think Marino would be a great fit for Utah, but not sure NJD can afford to give him up this year, casey isn't quite ready yet imo and NJD can't go younger yet until Luke and Nemec get a bit more experience

I don't know, what else would Utah be targeting?

The other possibility would be a simple trade up with picks and prospects, although not sure utah is looking for more quantity. What kind of assets are the target along with 10th?
interesting, Mercer would absolutely be a target for MTL, but I feel that the season he just had is not worthy of a 5th overall pick straight up..I dont know honestly..if demidov and lindstrom are gone, Mercer could be a nice consolation prize.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If Catton falls past 5 and he shouldn't IMO then I wonder if Utah takes him or the best Dman that's there?

It seemed like it and while I like Mercer the 6th pick this year is more valuable IMO.

But if ownership is more in a win now frame of mind who knows.
Don’t see Catton going top 5, and not one of Mckenzie’s 10 scouts had him top 5.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Utah picking Dickinson and then waiting to see if Yakemchuk is @ 10th.
I like Bahl, but would like a little more.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
interesting

interesting, Mercer would absolutely be a target for MTL, but I feel that the season he just had is not worthy of a 5th overall pick straight up..I dont know honestly..if demidov and lindstrom are gone, Mercer could be a nice consolation prize.
I think for 5th Mercer probably doesn't cut it to get there, but once you hit about the 8 range it's probably fair. (I know this sounds somewhat silly bc it would all be for the same prospect in dickinson but that's how valuations generally go)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I'd pass on that.

That would be valuing mercer equivalent to about 13th overall. I'd value him around 8th/9th overall.
Which is the kind of overpayment a team around there would ask for.

Grade A+ prospect @ 5
Grade B prospect at 24-27

Vs

Young middle 6 player with upside
Grade B+/A prospect

At the end of the day, NJ gets the best piece of thr deal and, therefore likely loses in terms of depth

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Utah picking Dickinson and then waiting to see if Yakemchuk is @ 10th.
I like Bahl, but would like a little more.
Not sure what Utah needs exactly.

Bahl would be in my eyes valued at a very late 2nd.

So I don't know exactly what would be viewed as bridging that gap in your/Utah's eyes, or how the value Bahl, if he is a piece they want included
Screen Shot 2024-05-19 at 9.36.07 PM.png

Based on puckpedia

Which is the kind of overpayment a team around there would ask for.

Grade A+ prospect @ 5
Grade B prospect at 24-27

Vs

Young middle 6 player with upside
Grade B+/A prospect

At the end of the day, NJ gets the best piece of thr deal and, therefore likely loses in terms of depth
Then again, I would pass. If Dickinson is available at a later pick for a smaller price, then I'd go back on the table.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Are you suggesting that Utah should trade the 6th overall pick for Dawson Mercer?
No, I'm saying that Smyth has said he wants to contend and is going to be active in FA. If that's the case he has a lot of assets he could trade and that pick is one of them. And Mercer is 22, not 28. Not like he wouldn't fit in with the core of Cooley, Doan, Guenther etc.

Reactions: majormajor

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Don’t see Catton going top 5, and not one of Mckenzie’s 10 scouts had him top 5.
Probably not as teams seem to be obsessed with size, not that Catton is that short, but all it takes is one team.

Also projecting forwards is much easier than Dmen so I think some of the Dman hype might drop off a bit come draft day.

But who really knows at this point, my opinion is that if Catton falls past 5 then the team getting him should be extremely happy.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
We aren't trading up to get this guy when there is a chance he might be there at 10. There also every well can be another player the Devils Management want more at the 10 spot than Dickinson if he falls. Just take the BPA , although the Devils need a center the most but would settle for a winger if need be.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40

So I don't know exactly what would be viewed as bridging that gap in your/Utah's eyes, or how the value Bahl, if he is a piece they want included
View attachment 873391
Based on puckpedia

Then again, I would pass. If Dickinson is available at a later pick for a smaller price, then I'd go back on the table.
Reuniting Bahl with his junior coach.
Originally I was thinking trading up in the 2nd, but NJ doesn't have their 2nd. Thought about Siegenthaler too, don't think the Devils would do that.

Barrett Hayton may be the odd guy out while still holding trade value if they can find a center to play with Keller.

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

View attachment 873391
Based on puckpedia

And there is bo reason for any team to drop beside if they get an overpayment.

Dickinson is a lock in the top6. If you don't want to pay the price its fine for moat teams

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'd pass on that.

That would be valuing mercer equivalent to about 13th overall. I'd value him around 8th/9th overall.
I agree Habs would need to add something equivalent to another late 1st pick or a good prospect ala Struble/Mesar/Engstrom

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Mercer for Dickinson seems fair to me, and unusually it's not a case of "win now versus futures".

Sam Dickinson could play decent minutes in the NHL right now. He'd be one of the best skaters on any team. You could also debate whether more seasoning would help his offense develop, but the point is that the wait won't be long.

Dawson Mercer has that sneaky underrated skillset and does a lot of hard things well. And did he have 10 goals in 10 games at one point? He's coming off of a bad year. I'm not sure if he'll be good next year but long term he has very clear top six forward upside with playdriving ability.

I think the upside is comparable for the two players, and maybe the wait too.

So Utah isn't selling its future to hurry up if they acquire Mercer, and NJ isn't pushing its future forward if they acquire Dickinson.

That's just a comment on the wait vs win now factors, I could just as easily argue that Utah should keep the pick or that New Jersey should keep Mercer.
Dickinson has the size and skating for the NHL, but even with that, there's no way I rush him into the line-up next season, regardless of what my roster is looking like. If NJ selects Dickenson, don't rush him.

Reactions: dgibb10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad