GDT: Trades & Free Agency

horner

May 22, 2007
I don't see why Bertuzzi should be retained at that price. He's been solid lately and all but we just don't have 5.5M to give to a fairly average player. The Leafs have a lot of wingers to use as well. It's a lot of money and doesn't really plug a hole. I can agree that Domi should be retained based on his ability to be versatile and the emotional connection obviously.

This team needs to pump money in their defensive core. You can suggest trading Marner or whoever I guess but I'm not sure that's something that happens for obvious reasons.
Trade
Kampf and Jarnkrok

We have enough young players coming up through the system now.

When the playoffs are over your opion may change about Bertuzzi.

It's no coincidence that Mathew's had his best game playing with those 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Trade Marner for Pulock and a first or Dobson.
I wouldn't mind trading Willy as well but doubt the GM trades both.
Sign Tanev, Zadorov

Rielly Tanev
Zadorov Pulock
Benoit McCabe

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I'd be intrigued by Montour if you think he can play PP1 as well. As much as the leafs need really good defensive defenders. Feel like they need to upgrade puck moving and offence from the back end as well.
Montour is redundant at his asking price with Rielly here. And by all accounts from Panthers fans he has dropped off big time this year, if Montour was a few years younger I would entertain it though.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I've mentioned before it's one of Domi or Bertuzzi to be re-signed but now I'm thinking we need to keep both. You let a guy like Bertuzzi walk and you're looking for that replacement come playoff time and moving assets to add said player.

Domi isn't going to price himself out, moving Kampf and Jarnkrok should be more than enough to retain Bertuzzi, worst case scenario. This is assuming we don't rid ourselves of a big ticket in JT or Marner this summer.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Trade
Kampf and Jamcrock

We have enough young players coming up through the system now.

When the playoffs are over your opion may change about Bertuzzi.

It's no coincidence that Mathew's had his best game playing with those 2.

That could work but then you also have to replace Kampf. I'm not convinced Minten is 100% ready to take on every day NHL shifts. Holmberg is solid for sure. So you'll need a Kampf replacement.

It might be time to sell "high" on Jarnkrok though. I like him a lot, but we have so many wingers right now. We can't afford to let him become another Brodie in a year or two.

But it's gonna take a lot of cap space to get a goaltender and 1 very good RHD, and also re-signing Liljegren. That's a good chunk of our cap space, even if you trade Kampf and Jarnkrok. I'd rather pump Bertuzzi's cap hit into another defenseman.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've mentioned before it's one of Domi or Bertuzzi to be re-signed but now I'm thinking we need to keep both. You let a guy like Bertuzzi walk and you're looking for that replacement come playoff time and moving assets to add said player.

Domi isn't going to price himself out, moving Kampf and Jarnkrok should be more than enough to retain Bertuzzi, worst case scenario. This is assuming we don't rid ourselves of a big ticket in JT or Marner this summer.

It really depends on how Knies improves, McMann's ability to keep playing well, Robertsons development, etc. Those 3 are LWers with plenty of game, they just need the opportunity.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I miss having a legit burner in the lineup, especially on the pk. Such a dangerous weapon, even if it’s a middle of the pack offensive guy like Pierre the giraffe.
Can make an opposing PP a lil antsy if there’s more counterattack.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

That’s exactly it. You let Bertuzzi walk and then you immediately start trying to find a Bertuzzi type of player. Why not just keep him when we have him? It looks like he’s enjoying Toronto and playing with Matthews and Domi. Maybe if you give him term, you can lower the AAV… 5x5?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Re-Sign:
Max Domi - 4 x $3,350,000​
Tyler Bertuzzi - 4 x $5,000,000​
Timothy Liljegren - 3 x $3,200,000​
Ilya Samsonov - 2 x $3,350,000​
Sign:
Nikita Zadorov - 5 x $4,000,000​
Liam O'Brien - 3 x $1,100,000​
Brandon Duhaime - 3 x $1,100,000​
Trade:

Mitch Marner - For - Noah Dobson​
Nick Robertson, Calle Jarnkrok, 1st 2024 - For - Travis Konecny​
Kampf - For - Future Considerations​
Lines:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi​
Knies - Nylander - Konecny​
Minten - Tavares - McMann​
O'Brien - Holmberg - Duhaime​
Reaves​
Zadorov - Dobson​
Rielly - - Liljegren​
Benoit - - McCabe​
Timmins​
Sammy/Woll​

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That could work but then you also have to replace Kampf. I'm not convinced Minten is 100% ready to take on every day NHL shifts. Holmberg is solid for sure. So you'll need a Kampf replacement.

It might be time to sell "high" on Jarnkrok though. I like him a lot, but we have so many wingers right now. We can't afford to let him become another Brodie in a year or two.

But it's gonna take a lot of cap space to get a goaltender and 1 very good RHD, and also re-signing Liljegren. That's a good chunk of our cap space, even if you trade Kampf and Jarnkrok. I'd rather pump Bertuzzi's cap hit into another defenseman.
Jarnkrok is a great utility player and kinda like a budget Alex Steen type. Definitely don't want to move on if we don't have to, especially since his contract is one of the few Dubas did quite well with.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
It really depends on how Knies improves, McMann's ability to keep playing well, Robertsons development, etc. Those 3 are LWers with plenty of game, they just need the opportunity.
On paper we’re well covered at the position, but none of those guys bring what Bertuzzi does and he’s proven he can hang with Matthews. Whereas guys like Kampf and Jarnkrok can be replaced internally, I don’t think it’s as straight forward as letting Bert walk.

In a perfect world we can keep all these guys if we shed 11m from the roster.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

Completely agree. We're always looking for these guys. Well, we found them! Players who have chemistry with Matthews are not that simple to find - we've put many different players on his wings over the years. So far, they're proving to be good playoff performers too. Also, having solid depth players takes some pressure off of the big 4. We can transform into a "team", as opposed to 4 or 5 guys and their yearly mercenaries.

Reactions: CincoHolio

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jarnkrok is a great utility player and kinda like a budget Alex Steen type. Definitely don't want to move on if we don't have to, especially since his contract is one of the few Dubas did quite well with.

I've been a big supporter of Jarnkrok. Super versatile, good all around, great on the forecheck, etc. But sometimes you have to sell high and recycle your value while you can. I wouldn't give him up for low value. I'd be more than fine if he stuck around longer, but I think it might be a good time to give younger options more ice time and gain some picks in the process.

It's the same principle I was pushing for the last year or two with TJ Brodie, especially when the Leafs needed to make some changes.

On paper we’re well covered at the position, but none of those guys bring what Bertuzzi does and he’s proven he can hang with Matthews. Whereas guys like Kampf and Jarnkrok can be replaced internally, I don’t think it’s as straight forward as letting Bert walk.

In a perfect world we can keep all these guys if we shed 11m from the roster.

I think Knies provides similar attributes. He's also younger, faster and should keep improving. McMann and Robertson are different kinds of players but they absolutely can provide similar offensive outputs.

I'd be very wary of giving term at the cap hit it will take to Bertuzzi with how his season went. He's greasy and great around the net but outside of that, he's kind of not been fantastic by any means.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

IMO he’s not a playoff difference maker though.

He doesn’t play heavy enough to make a physical impact .. and his offense dries up come the post season:

1 goal, 3 points in 12 games with the leafs
5 goals, 22 points in 88 games for his career

His a nice responsible player but he just doesn’t do much out there in these critical times.

I’d rather replace him with cheaper depth that’s just as responsible defensively but bigger and more physical. While leaning on some of the young wingers like McMann, Holmberg, Robertson, and Knies to step up and provide secondary scoring.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I've been a big supporter of Jarnkrok. Super versatile, good all around, great on the forecheck, etc. But sometimes you have to sell high and recycle your value while you can. I wouldn't give him up for low value. I'd be more than fine if he stuck around longer, but I think it might be a good time to give younger options more ice time and gain some picks in the process.

It's the same principle I was pushing for the last year or two with TJ Brodie, especially when the Leafs needed to make some changes.

I think Knies provides similar attributes. He's also younger, faster and should keep improving. McMann and Robertson are different kinds of players but they absolutely can provide similar offensive outputs.

I'd be very wary of giving term at the cap hit it will take to Bertuzzi with how his season went. He's greasy and great around the net but outside of that, he's kind of not been fantastic by any means.
I like Bertuzzi, and I'd have him back, but I don't see $5.5 mil in value there. Frankly, it's around or lower than Domi's $3 mil value... and I doubt Bert would take that.

We need to spend that kind of money on the D.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Bertuzzi, and I'd have him back, but I don't see $5.5 mil in value there. Frankly, it's around or lower than Domi's $3 mil value... and I doubt Bert would take that.

We need to spend that kind of money on the D.

That's how I see it. I don't think Bertuzzi has earned a 5.5M contract, especially not long-term and with how much cap we already have to our forwards. He could go to a different team and explode offensively but I dunno if he's earned it for our needs.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Berts 5.5m was an overpayment because its a 1yr deal. He'll jump at the chance to get a long term deal given his health history and playing on the top line long term.

Reactions: TheShape

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I noticed Kapanen is a pending free agent. He's had it rough last few years, but I wonder if there's a shot that the Leafs could bring him back on a cheap 1-2 year deal. He can probably be a solid depth player and rejuvenate his career a bit.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I noticed Kapanen is a pending free agent. He's had it rough last few years, but I wonder if there's a shot that the Leafs could bring him back on a cheap 1-2 year deal. He can probably be a solid depth player and rejuvenate his career a bit.
Dont see him as a Treliving target. He also has hands of stone. HUge pass for me

I 100% see Yakuv Trenin as a Treliving Target

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dont see him as a Treliving target. He also has hands for stone. HUge pass for me

I 100% see Yakuv Trenin as a Treliving Target

Still capable of 10ish goals in a low end role. Tons of speed and forechecking. He was a pretty good PKer as well. He knows most of the team. I think he'd be a good target but a lot can change between now and July 1st.

Trenin likely a target as well, but not exactly performing very well with the Avalanche.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd definitely re-sign Domi over Bertuzzi. Domi has more warts to his game, however, he should not only be cheaper, but he provides a more unique skillset. He has the playmaking and puck moving ability to play with Matthews while allowing us to use Nylander and Marner to drive lines 2 & 3. He'll also actually be on the ice if anyone takes liberties against Matthews and he'll actually do something about it. If we could find a decent 3C for Nylander, we could run pairs Matthews-Domi, Tavares-Marner, XXX-Nylander and let our stable of LWs compete for those three spots.

Our front office has been surprisingly successful at finding guys who can fill the Bertuzzi mucker role. Hyman, Bunting, McMann, Moore, Marchment etc. Not too great at retaining them, but finding them has never really been an issue. So, I'm okay with letting him walk this summer.

Reactions: aingefan

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

I get what you’re saying and pre Marner injury I would’ve agreed. But I can’t shake the difference in Matthews game flanked by Bertuzzi and Domi. He plays bigger and he’s more prone to get stuck in. I’m not saying give these guys a blank cheque, but they’re total psychopaths (in the best way) who can play higher in the lineup, we haven’t had that since Kadri. There’s a ton of value there.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd definitely re-sign Domi over Bertuzzi. Domi has more warts to his game, however, he should not only be cheaper, but he provides a more unique skillset. He has the playmaking and puck moving ability to play with Matthews while allowing us to use Nylander and Marner to drive lines 2 & 3. He'll also actually be on the ice if anyone takes liberties against Matthews and he'll actually do something about it. If we could find a decent 3C for Nylander, we could run pairs Matthews-Domi, Tavares-Marner, XXX-Nylander and let our stable of LWs compete for those three spots.

Our front office has been surprisingly successful at finding guys who can fill the Bertuzzi mucker role. Hyman, Bunting, McMann, Moore, Marchment etc. Not too great at retaining them, but finding them has never really been an issue. So, I'm okay with letting him walk this summer.

Domi is also more likely to take a cheaper deal with term. I think he really likes it here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad