GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Who's the best goalie we can add in the offseason, either as a stop-gap to Woll/Hildeby or as the longterm answer in net?

Depends on how keen you are on spending?

I think most of our assets and cap money need to go on at least 2 RD and a middle 6C so I'd look to get the best available 1B type and a good 3G as insurance

You can go big game hunting on a Soros type 1G but that's going to be bloody expensive, like Cowan + expensive

Reactions: kb

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Depends on how keen you are on spending?

I think most of our assets and cap money need to go on at least 2 RD and a middle 6C so I'd look to get the best available 1B type and a good 3G as insurance

You can go big game hunting on a Soros type 1G but that's going to be bloody expensive, like Cowan + expensive

We want the guy that can go to the WCF not the WEF, besides Soros is more of a 5G guy.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
A lot more than we would have without Marner.
You can dwell on a misunderstood past if you'd like, but right now, I'm focused on what best helps us win a cup in years 8 and beyond. That's keeping Marner.
Yes, because spending 1/4 of your cap on 2 wingers is a tried and true recipe for playoff success.

On a less sarcastic note, how do you remain so bullish on this core when their only wins come at the negotiating table?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes, because spending 1/4 of your cap on 2 wingers is a tried and true recipe for playoff success.

On a less sarcastic note, how do you remain so bullish on this core when their only wins come at the negotiating table?
It is also spending 1/4 on the wrong two RWers. Nylander and Marner will put up points in regular season which is closer to shinny but when the rubber hits the road and teams stop teams from playing shinny, Marner and Nylander fail. Give me 2 of Kutch, Pasta and Draisatil for $22m any day of the week over our two ballerinas.

Reactions: LeafSteel

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's probably not bullish, as much as it's hopeful that the team you are a fan of, can come through at some point.
The problem is you have and will again back up the brinks truck before they have won anything. They are betting on two horses that have proven they cannot win a big race 8 years in a row and you are hoping that you are not repeating the same mistake.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It's probably not bullish, as much as it's hopeful that the team you are a fan of, can come through at some point.
The post I’m replying to was more bullish than hopeful. I don’t think anyone in this thread is proposing moving on from Marner because they don’t want the Leafs to succeed. Speaking for myself, I want them to win and the current recipe clearly doesn’t work (I could be proven wrong over the next 2 months).

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It is also spending 1/4 on the wrong two RWers. Nylander and Marner will put up points in regular season which is closer to shinny but when the rubber hits the road and teams stop teams from playing shinny, Marner and Nylander fail. Give me 2 of Kutch, Pasta and Draisatil for $22m any day of the week over our two ballerinas.
Yes - you have three of the top 10 highest paid players in the league, soon to be 4 and none of them are in the top 30 for playoff points since the big 4 was assembled. Matthews has the highest P/GP among them and he’s not even top 10 in P/GP or G/GP in the playoffs over that time frame and he’s the highest paid player in the league.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The post I’m replying to was more bullish than hopeful. I don’t think anyone in this thread is proposing moving on from Marner because they don’t want the Leafs to succeed. Speaking for myself, I want them to win and the current recipe clearly doesn’t work (I could be proven wrong over the next 2 months).
You are not alone. If they lose in round #1 again, how can you justify having given Nylander 11.5mx8 and following it up by giving Marner a minimum of $11.5mx8? It would be pure insanity.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You are not alone. If they lose in round #1 again, how can you justify having given Nylander 11.5mx8 and following it up by giving Marner a minimum of $11.5mx8? It would be pure insanity.
Apparently that's the only road to success:
I'm focused on what best helps us win a cup in years 8 and beyond. That's keeping Marner.

• Haha
Reactions: TMLAM34 and ToneDog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We very likely would be better off by redistributing our cap space.
If it's at the cost of Marner, no, we would not. If we want to reallocate cap space, we can do so without getting rid of one of our best players.
I hear defensemen and goalies are useful….
I agree. You should tell Treliving.
If they fail to make it past round 1 again, how does keeping Marner really help?
If they fail to make it past round 1, how does getting rid of one of your best players really help? Change for the sake of change may feel cathartic in post-loss emotion, but gutting your team of one of its best performers doesn't actually accomplish anything positive.
How does repeating the same thing that hasn’t worked that many years help?
We're not repeating the same thing. The team was different in every one of those years, and it will continue being different every year moving forward. And even in some hypothetical world where we could somehow repeat the exact same thing, that wouldn't mean we would get the same outcome anyway. That's not how hockey works.

Besides, in many of those years, it hasn't so much "not worked" as it has not led to the outcome we want for a variety of largely external reasons that aren't improved by losing one of our best players. This is why it's important to learn and understand the reasons that we've actually lost, instead of just looking at the fact that we lost, and then trying to purge anything you've seen before.
There is no "tried and true recipe for playoff success". There are a million different ways to win, and having two elite wingers can certainly be part of one.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There is no "tried and true recipe for playoff success". There are a million different ways to win, and having two elite wingers can certainly be part of one.
At what point do you look at the lack of success, compared to the rest of the league, and determine this is the wrong path to take? Since Marner/Matthews/Nylander entered the league in 2016:
  • Florida missed the playoffs 4 times in a row and have now passed the Leafs in regular season points and playoff series wins
  • Colorado have bottomed out and won a cup
  • Vegas have started as a franchise and won a cup (don't blame the expansion process, they had 5 expansion players when they won)
  • Tampa have won 2 cups
  • Boston have seen their two best players retire and arguably their 4th (Krejci) and have yet again passed the Leafs
  • Dallas have bottomed out and passed the Leafs in regular season points and playoff series wins
  • Carolina have bottomed out and passed the Leafs in regular season points and playoff series wins
  • NYR have bottomed out and passed the Leafs in regular season points and playoff series wins
  • WPG, who had the pick after Matthews, have more playoff series wins since 2016 and they are a better regular season team than the Leafs this year
  • Edmonton missed the playoffs 3 times and have since surpassed the Leafs in regular season points and playoff series wins
Not only has this core won nothing but they are actively getting passed in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog and TMLAM34

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
We're the 3rd best team in the league since 2016.
Yes - because most of the teams that I mentioned have missed the playoffs and since surpassed the Leafs. There's no point in reflecting on past regular season point totals when they didn't accomplish anything and the present team sits in 10th (not to mention none of the teams above the Leafs have Marner on their roster yet they somehow have been better than the Leafs this year).

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes - because most of the teams that I mentioned have missed the playoffs and since surpassed the Leafs.
Since 2016, or 2017, or 2018, or 2019, or 2020, or 2021, or 2022, we have been a top-5 team or better over all of those different stretches.
It sucks that we've dropped to 10th in this specific year as a result of some questionable decisions, but that has nothing to do with Marner.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Since 2016, or 2017, or 2018, or 2019, or 2020, or 2021, or 2022, we have been a top-5 team or better over all of those different stretches.
It sucks that we've dropped to 10th in this specific year as a result of some questionable decisions, but that has nothing to do with Marner.
Do they hand out a cup for top 5 regular season teams over multiple years? Where do they rank in playoff series wins over that time frame?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Do they hand out a cup for top 5 regular season teams over multiple years? Where do they rank in playoff series wins over that time frame?
They don't hand out cups for regular season win rankings over multiple years.
They also don't hand out cups for playoff series win rankings over multiple years.

Reactions: uncleben

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Who's the best goalie we can add in the offseason, either as a stop-gap to Woll/Hildeby or as the longterm answer in net?

Driedger won't cost a lot, he's been very good for awhile outside of struggling with the expansion Seattle Kraken. He would be a very good signing to pair with Woll next season. He's high on my top targets to sign this off-season.

Devin Cooley is also a free agent despite making his NHL debut at 26 years old. Could be a very late bloomer pick-up to do well if the Sharks don't keep him.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Then what’s the point of measuring the team this way?
There isn't much point in trying to measure current teams by their past regular season success or past playoff series outcomes, especially when devoid of context.
You're the one that started talking about what all these random teams have done since 2016.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Driedger won't cost a lot, he's been very good for awhile outside of struggling with the expansion Seattle Kraken. He would be a very good signing to pair with Woll next season. He's high on my top targets to sign this off-season.
Might be buying high and he might be a flash in the pan but Stolarz would be my target for the right price.

1713105810211.png

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Might be buying high and he might be a flash in the pan but Stolarz would be my target for the right price.

View attachment 851658

A decent target but with those stats and good play, I suspect someone will throw stupid money at him and regret it quite a bit.

He has been good for awhile, even on bad teams, so he'd be a good target if the price is right.

Reactions: ToneDog

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There isn't much point in trying to measure current teams by their past regular season success or past playoff series outcomes, especially when devoid of context.
You're the one that started talking about what all these random teams have done since 2016.
I believe you missed the point. I should have bolded it:
Not only has this core won nothing but they are actively getting passed in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad