GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If Tavares scoring 65 points at 11M is disappointing, Anderson scoring 20 points at 5.5M is a non-starter and he has 2 additional years.
I don’t care about regular season stats. Get winners , get guys that elevate and not deflate an entire team when it matters the most

(Not specifically talking about the above players**)

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

They should give context of his points totals. I saw something the other day which proved what most of us knew and what we really mean when we say they are ghosts during playoffs. From Games 1-3 Marner is best on the team in terms of points and then from Games 4-7 Tavares has been our best player which was kind of shocking. You can look at his stats yourself and see that. Had 10 points in Games 1-4 last year and then the next 7 games he had points in just 3 of those games and 4 points total. Year before that he gets 6 in first 3 games and then 2 points in the final 4. Same with the year before.

I found the tweet.

Lets hope it's the opposite these playoffs because if so, we might stand a chance if he turns up like he used to in the first few games.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They should give context of his points totals. I saw something the other day which proved what most of us knew and what we really mean when we say they are ghosts during playoffs. From Games 1-3 Marner is best on the team in terms of points and then from Games 4-7 Tavares has been our best player which was kind of shocking. You can look at his stats yourself and see that. Had 10 points in Games 1-4 last year and then the next 7 games he had points in just 3 of those games and 4 points total. Year before that he gets 6 in first 3 games and then 2 points in the final 4. Same with the year before.

I found the tweet.

Lets hope it's the opposite these playoffs because if so, we might stand a chance if he turns up like he used to in the first few games.

Interesting about Matthews... but then, his durability in the playoffs has been horrible. He's required surgery twice after the playoffs to fix wrist issues, and this year it's some illness/food poisoning. I don't know if that's bad luck, or what... it's an excuse... I suppose, but then you need to depend on a guy who gets paid that much.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
To me, I would trade 3 of the so called big 4. They can play the game and can be great at it but they are not leaders or alphas. Leafs needs alphas and leaders on the team. And those guys are hard to come by. WE have that in Domi and Reilly. AM seems to be getting it but he is not leading charge, he is just following Bert and Domi. JT never had it and he will never get it b/c thats who he is. Willie certainly got the mental fortitude but he also doesn't like being physical unless he has to. MM got insane talents but he just doesn't want to get his hands dirty and battle for every inch of the ice.
In short, if the core 4 stays. then they need to be surrounded by a whole bunch of Bert and Domi, which is impossible due to the cap.
Even if JT signs for those Spezza and Gio contract, I will still think it is not a good idea bc he represents passive and causal leadership. As there is no way he will start following guys like Domi or Bert and play grit and physical hockey.

Reactions: Americanadian

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Interesting about Matthews... but then, his durability in the playoffs has been horrible. He's required surgery twice after the playoffs to fix wrist issues, and this year it's some illness/food poisoning. I don't know if that's bad luck, or what... it's an excuse... I suppose, but then you need to depend on a guy who gets paid that much.
Yeah not a good look that they always seem to have problems come up around playoff time after we just signed them. Hoping the Nylander migraines issue doesn't become a thing after signing him for 8 at 11.5.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Yep he's been good defensively.. except for his price tag he's supposed to be more than that. And his subpar offensive performance outweighs his defensive strength. This is magnified by the team's overall poor special teams in the series, particularly the power play where Marner is supposed to be at his best.

And this isn't a one off either, it's been more like this than more not like this in the last 7 years.

Reactions: uncleben

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With a glut of young wingers coming up on cheaper deals, it would be a good time to look for that true top 6 C leader and more legitimize presence on the back end that can be a leader as well.

Move on from Marner Tavares. Retain Matthews and Nylander. Re-sign Domi.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If we’re trading Marner, we need a top pairing D back. There’s no use trading him for forwards and spare parts. He’s our one chip we can use to get that guy we’ve always needed on the backend.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If we’re trading Marner, we need a top pairing D back. There’s no use trading him for forwards and spare parts. He’s our one chip we can use to get that guy we’ve always needed on the backend.
Brandt Clarke would be the guy I try and get. Big, 2-way right handed defenceman. I’d need more from LA but he’d be a perfect building block on the blueline.

Rielly - ________
McCabe - Clarke
Benoit - ________

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Do you guys think Stamkos will want to sign a sweetheart hometown deal to play in Toronto this time around

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Brandt Clarke would be the guy I try and get. Big, 2-way right handed defenceman. I’d need more from LA but he’d be a perfect building block on the blueline.

Rielly - ________
McCabe - Clarke
Benoit - ________
It’s interesting, though.
Clarke (or any other high upside D) with ELC time plus 9.5 cap space is a pretty sweet deal.
Ps, pls stop hating Lili, lol

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Columbus for Werenski or Buffalo for Dahlin

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
It’s interesting, though.
Clarke (or any other high upside D) with ELC time plus 9.5 cap space is a pretty sweet deal.
Ps, pls stop hating Lili, lol
I’m okay with keeping or trading Liljegren. He constantly gets pushed around against bigger and stronger teams but he’s still pretty young and can continue to get better. If he stays I’d slot him on the third pair with Benoit.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Mitch for Konecny? Although I think that they would be hard pressed asking him to waive to play for Torts.

Free up $5M for D. Brody and Bertuzzi also coming off of the books. Some pretty good RD options who are UFA in Pesce, Montour and Tanev - if the first two don't resign obviously.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

I found the tweet.

Thanks for this. I know JT takes a lot of heat here, but I've always been a fan of his. I know he's aging, I know his play has taken a hit, I know he is over paid, and I don't think he was the right person to be given the C. But, throughout his time here I can't say he's ever cheated the team with respect to his efforts. That he's been the only one of the 4 to see his goal and point production rise during games 5/6/7 in the playoffs is surprising, but to see that the other three have all seen there production rates drop, significantly so for Marner and Matthews, is sobering.

Keith Pelley has a lot of work to do. It wouldn't surprise me to see the entire top end: Shanny, Tre and Keefe let go. That may not be fair to Tre, given his short time here, but if Pelley is intent on changing the culture of this team, I can see him wanting to start with a fresh slate.

As for the players...I don't think anyone should be feeling safe, including Matthews. Change is coming, and it may be much more than we suspect. Given the results we've been watching the last 7 or 8 years I think it's time.

Reactions: aingefan

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Without an extension, Marner doesn't have the value to bring back a top D. He's not the young controllable asset he once was.

How many teams had that top D available.... and can add a 12 million dollar winger..... and is somewhere Marner wants to go? There are just so few trades that make sense.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’m okay with keeping or trading Liljegren. He constantly gets pushed around against bigger and stronger teams but he’s still pretty young and can continue to get better. If he stays I’d slot him on the third pair with Benoit.
Yeah, I understand the potential that he could be moved, but I’m with you that he can continue to improve. I think there’s risk of selling low (same with NickRob).
It’d be nice if he could develop some snarl, but that’s not his game. Or maybe just snap one game to keep ‘em honest (;
He’s been improving with his physical play, but the times he struggles seem magnified, and success is less noticeable - as is usually the case with D.
I think hes better with a puck mover in general actually.
I mean, for example, in the playoffs less physical players may be targeted more. We’ve seen it with him a few times this series. but when that’s the case, teams have to be ready to support that - not just with him, but support the play.
And less physical guys best and smartest counter tactic is moving the puck. It’s not bailing as has been said here/in the media. You watch times where he cycles the puck around, which is the right play, and Edmundson hasn’t been able to handle the pass, nor have wingers when he’s reversed it. They havent really been hail Mary’ s or panic passes - mostly the right play that haven’t gone well.
I think that’s why he and Sandin worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad