GDT: Trades & Free Agency Thread -- Open the floodgates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It’s a matter of opinion on his faults, but as for Mitch, he received two offer sheets.. not a threat of, but did. And with Matthews it was reported there was a legit offer sheet threat. Mackenzie reported at the time Matthews camp in fact wanted full term, the reason Dubas gave him what he did was because the full term ask was around 14m per, Dubas went for shorter term to get the cap hit down (and because of the perceived threat of an offer-sheet, didn’t hardball him). And that’s why Matthews has the shitty contract (for us) that he does.

And for whatever reason, Marner’s camp believed he was worth whatever Matthews got - and did their best to get it. He was offer sheeted by Columbus, and rumoured to be the Islanders. One of the GMs called Dubas to let him know he was doing it.

Link for those offer sheet details please….

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How?
I'm genuinely interested.

At the current rate we are icing the same team - and downgrading in pretty key areas.
Save from Robertson being a world beater and produce at a top6 clip. This team is destined to not crash in the playoffs... but not even make it.

I'm really not sure that there is much change from last year.

They lost 5.5 * 7 Hyman but other than that, Bogo who many were unhappy about when he was signed last year, and an ancient Thornton.

They cast off a couple players in Vesey and Barabanov quickly ... maybe they were the missing pieces in the playoffs.

This team relies on the core, period.

Some of the lessor players got more experience last year, so should be a little better this year, Brooks, Mikheyev, Engvall.

Landed the Hawks #1 face-off guy for depth.

Reactions: Rocker13

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If this is our opening night roster, thats not a good team at all.
I can see us getting shut down when the Big Four are not having a good day, as there is literally no depth in the bottom 6 beside Spezza esp if Kerfoot is LW in the top 6.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Don't know they didn't just pay Ullmark 5
He's so much better than Mrazek

Very strange decision in net. Don't see the vision. Do we see either of these guys winning four rounds in the playoffs? Then what happens next year? If Campbell even has an average season he will be looking for $4M plus based on Mrazek number. So you'll have $8M tied up in this tandem? Yikes.

Reactions: fahad203

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I could live with this top 6:

Bunting Matthews Marner
Kerfoot Tavares Nylander

Between Spezza and Kampf we have a 3rd and 4th line center.

Simmonds and Engvall and Mikheyev are all 4th liners. We are missing some top 9 wingers here. Am I wrong?

We have room to add one top 9 winger, and I imagine the other job is a competition between Simmonds, Engvall, Mikheyev, Anderson, Malgin, Ho-Sang, Robertson, Semyonov, Brooks, Amadio, Spezza, Kampf, and possibly another UFA (three of the listed will also comprise our 4th line and forward depth for next year). I obviously understand that some of these guys suck, but there are some real young wild cards with upside here (Malgin, Ho-Sang, Robertson, Brooks, Anderson) and we need one to amount to a respectable top 9 winger. I will take those odds over giving out the vast majority of contracts given out so far.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Atlantic Division Standings 2022

1) Florida
2) Tampa
3) Boston
4) Montreal
5) Toronto
6) Ottawa
Montreal won't finish 5th.

We're probably 4th as of now, if Dubas has more moves lined up (hopefully he does) we can get into the top 3. The top 3 in the Atlantic are all cup contenders so it honestly might not be bad to get a wildcard spot and face the metro instead

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If this is our opening night roster, thats not a good team at all.
I can see us getting shut down when the Big Four are not having a good day, as there is literally no depth in the bottom 6 beside Spezza esp if Kerfoot is LW in the top 6.

Trades are always possible, but by and large this is going to be the team.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Montreal won't finish 5th.

We're probably 4th as of now, if Dubas has more moves lined up (hopefully he does) we can get into the top 3. The top 3 are all cup contenders so it honestly might not be bad to get a wildcard spot and face the metro instead

I'm not convinced Leafs are ahead of Ottawa this year.

At best they seem like a WC team. Good luck with Tampa in the first round.

At least the Dubas experiment will be over within a year.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
After day one, I'mnot excited enough for the season, but I know there is still lots of time left.
Part of me will always have hope, but , ya know, it's the leafs, so we have to see.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Mtl will not be ahead. They lost danault and webber. Barely made the playoffs last season but now you think they've improved enough to win games against florida tampa and boston? Sky must really be falling in your world

Do you think the Leafs are good enough to beat those teams? Don't get to just beat up on the Canadian teams next year.

Reactions: phillipmike

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Kampf is the plan at 3C this year is pretty much dead in the water. I'm thinking Dubas has something up his sleeve though so hopefully he either finds a top 6 LW or a 3C via trade. Having a black hole like Kampf at the 3C would stupid.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Unless it is Marner or Willie or Reilly, trade won't do much.

Agreed. But the Dubas fans will hang on the fact that he said during interviews this afternoon that the offseason isn't over and more can happen. I believe the lions share of the team is in place and it doesn't look good.

Got worse in every area of the ice.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Is that how it works? If you play on the top line you're automatically a top 3 player on the team?

Whst has he done to earn a top 3 ?

You think magically he's going to turn into this player we hope ?

Bunting hasn't a single game for the leafs and people are already setting him up for failure.
He's a third liner. Thats where he should be.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If Kampf is the plan at 3C this year is pretty much dead in the water. I'm thinking Dubas has something up his sleeve though so hopefully he either finds a top 6 LW or a 3C via trade. Having a black hole like Kampf at the 3C would stupid.

This is a guy who said he expects Kerfoot, Mikheyev and Engvall to replace what Hyman did. So I wouldn't have too much confidence.

Reactions: hullsy47

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Dude who has career 30 games and possibly a hot streak now is our top 3 player ?

I think he needs to be proped up but we should only have room for one of Robertson or Bunting in our top 6. Their skills are wasted in the bottom 6.

Reactions: fahad203
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad