GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Preds is getting JT and will send futures to us. Then they will flip him at 50% retention at the TDL to get most of the futures send to us back from most likely TB, lol.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Marner likely going to Nashville for saros but hopefully

Zachary L'Heureux is attached along with a first round pick that we can flip for a Dman.​

L'Heureux is legit and can step into the nhl next season

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Trading a talent like Marner for a Goalie will go down as one of the all time Leaf dumb moves.
would be dumb if he was locked up for a few years...but he is a rental in a trade, and possibly an "own rental" if they keep him. Grabbing a goalie and opening the cap space provides tons of options....just depends how they get used.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They've got a ton of young kids who will likely be competing for spots this year. In addition to the ones mentioned above, Kemmel, Svechkov, L'Heureux, Afanasyev could all be competing for forward spots. They have a ton of prospects.

But if that's the direction they are going in, why do they want an $11+ million guy who will be in his 30s by the time those young players are in their prime?

Reactions: JKG33

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I don't love going down the Nashville route, but if we do we need to get Tommy Novak back in the trade

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Said it before and will say it again:

If Marner is being traded, Treliving has to hit it out of the park, both on the trade return and what he does with the freed up cap space.

Nashville and Saros are meh from my view.

We have Woll and Hildeby, as well as 2 other goalie prospects chomping at the bit for a chance.

Marner is a premium trade chip. Saros would be a waste and I wouldn’t want to think what Saros would be demanding as a UFA next season.

Hard pass on a deal with Nashville.

Find something better. Mangling a Marner trade can screw us over easily for the next 5 years.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's the off-season so we can get a bit stupid right? Assuming Marner is willing to extend in Nashville...

1716326101447.png

Tkachuk returned a top pair RD, a top line winger and a 1st

Marner = Josi
Saros for Rielly

2nd for Liljegren, Jarnkrok, 5th and 7th

I feel like on value that's pretty sweet for Nashville, Leafs get a different look for PP QB and in net

Preds get a top scoring type RW to draw more hype, Forsberg-ROR-Marner would be one of the better 2-way lines in the league.

Rielly replaces some of the offense lost with Josi. Liljegren is a young RD for a change of scenery and Jarnkrok is a utility forward they're familiar with, plus some extra picks.

Will it happen? Nah.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Florida and New York defense may not have size, but you would be stupid to think that the D-core's isn't a physical group. They are extremely physical and both teams play big

Dallas is the only team in there, that you can make a case is fairly soft and not interested in size/toughness.

I don't disagree though there is definitely a segment of folks around that tend to correlate the toughness of a D with how tall they are

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville already has that without having to add another $11 million in salary - Forsberg/ROR/Nyquist/Josi/Saros, etc.
We need to add another star forward, is that guy Marner? We don't know, but I suspect we'll be making a splash.

It's the off-season so we can get a bit stupid right? Assuming Marner is willing to extend in Nashville...

View attachment 874037

Tkachuk returned a top pair RD, a top line winger and a 1st

Marner = Josi
Saros for Rielly

2nd for Liljegren, Jarnkrok, 5th and 7th

I feel like on value that's pretty sweet for Nashville, Leafs get a different look for PP QB and in net

Preds get a top scoring type RW to draw more hype, Forsberg-ROR-Marner would be one of the better 2-way lines in the league.

Rielly replaces some of the offense lost with Josi. Liljegren is a young RD for a change of scenery and Jarnkrok is a utility forward they're familiar with, plus some extra picks.

Will it happen? Nah.
Nashville isn't even considering moving Josi. He's a future HHOF in his prime. You wouldn't be getting him for a Marner.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
would be dumb if he was locked up for a few years...but he is a rental in a trade, and possibly an "own rental" if they keep him. Grabbing a goalie and opening the cap space provides tons of options....just depends how they get used.
The assumption of him being traded is with an extension, a goalie is a terrible return for an elite player that’s signed. The cap space opens regardless.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If Marner is being traded, Treliving has to hit it out of the park, both on the trade return and what he does with the freed up cap space.

We have Woll and Hildeby, as well as 2 other goalie prospects chomping at the bit for a chance.

Marner is a premium trade chip. Saros would be a waste and I wouldn’t want to think what Saros would be demanding as a UFA next season.

Find something better. Mangling a Marner trade can screw us over easily for the next 5 years.

Agreed fully.a Marner trade, if it happens, needs to set the team up immediately for the pivot into it's next form. The whole "addition by subtraction" stuff is nonsense.

If anything the whole 'wheel and deal' angle SHOULD be on of Tres strengths of GM especially given his history.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If Trotz is seriously interested, Marner + Lily for Askarov, Fabrro, Tomasino and a 1st. That leaves you plenty of cap space to sign Lindholm or a top dmam.

Reactions: supermann_98

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If Trotz is seriously interested, Marner + Lily for Askarov, Fabrro, Tomasino and a 1st. That leaves you plenty of cap space to sign Lindholm or a top dmam.
That offer covers a lot of ground. It's a solid framework of what I'd hope for. Though if you could get a more established player as the centrepiece, and change that 1st to a 2nd, I'd be thrilled

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That offer covers a lot of ground. It's a solid framework of what I'd hope for. Though if you could get a more established player as the centrepiece, and change that 1st to a 2nd, I'd be thrilled
Agreed but if Askarov is another Sirokin/Shesterkin, we would be set in goal for the next decade. Risky but the reward could be huge.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Agreed but if Askarov is another Sirokin/Shesterkin, we would be set in goal for the next decade. Risky but the reward could be huge.
I'm so tired of not having a goalie, so I want it to be true :laugh:

I just want to have that guy that you don't worry about. Just lets you score and not worry

Reactions: ToneDog

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I agree overall. I would say I’m potentially open to a deal with the Preds for Saros, just not including Marner.

I do not want goaltending dice rolls. I want a legitimate long term solution in the net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad