GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
So you think Tavares, with 11M cap hit and 65 points to his name, should return enough assets to acquire a suitable 2C?

I'm saying whatever the final plan is, trading Tavares for no return probably kills it.

Like I've pointed out many times already. The cap hi t is not a major issue because of his real salary is so low. If they can get a Giroux type of return for Tavares and give up maybe 1/4 or even 1/3 of that for retention. Then you have things to work with and some flexibility instead of just all this magical cap space and nobody to spend it on.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm saying whatever the final plan is, trading Tavares for no return probably kills it.

Like I've pointed out many times already. The cap hi t is not a major issue because of his real salary is so low. If they can get a Giroux type of return for Tavares and give up maybe 1/4 or even 1/3 of that for retention. Then you have things to work with and some flexibility instead of just all this magical cap space and nobody to spend it on.
What team is giving up a Giroux type of return for Tavares that he would also go to? Name a deal that makes sense for all parties involved.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
What team is giving up a Giroux type of return for Tavares that he would also go to? Name a deal that makes sense for all parties involved.

Rangers - Chytil + retention cost
Pittsburgh - Reilly Smith + 2nd + retention cost (this is the worst deal, but Dubas would call)
Colorado - Sam Girard + split retention cost
NJ - Haula + Holtz + retention cost
Carolina - Necas (if they can discuss extension with JT before the trade, I think they'd happily pull the trigger on this trade)

Outside of Pittsburgh, most of teams are better contenders than Toronto and NJ arguably has more promise. For the Rangers, Colorado and Caroline, these are win now moves. Trading younger, riskier players for a strong complementary piece.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Got to give due to Bill Zito... rookie GM, comes in and acquired Bennett, Tkatchuk, Reinhart, Montour and signs Verhaeghe.

Meanwhile, you have Dubas shopping thrift store, looking for a diamond in the rough all the time and then paying out the behind for mostly washed up rentals.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Pittsburgh - Reilly Smith + 2nd + retention cost (this is the worst deal, but Dubas would call)
Carolina - Necas (if they can discuss extension with JT before the trade, I think they'd happily pull the trigger on this trade)

Outside of Pittsburgh, most of teams are better contenders than Toronto and NJ arguably has more promise. For the Rangers, Colorado and Caroline, these are win now moves. Trading younger, riskier players for a strong complementary piece.
Can you imagine if JT waived and got traded to the Rangers… Islander fans would loose their shit!

• Haha
Reactions: aingefan

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Mock off-season V4:

To TOR: Dach, Korczak
To VGK: Marner (50% retained), Kovacevic, Dewar
To MTL: Theodore, Roy, Marner retention (5.45M)

To NSH: Robertson, Timmins
To TOR: Tomasino

To UTA: Kampf, Liljegren
To TOR: McBain

To PIT: Jarnkrok
To TOR: PIT 24 2nd

To STL: Woll
To TOR: Binnington

UFA:
Montour 7.5Mx5 (not sure what the market will be like for Montour)
Tanev 5Mx2
Bertuzzi 5Mx4
Domi 4Mx4
Driedger 1Mx1

View attachment 873508

Leafs pick up significant C depth. Their U25 C's are now: Dach, McBain, Tomasino, Minten.
Isn’t Binnington a head case? I thought the idea was to change the culture in a positive way……..

Utah has so many players I would be happy with.

They have skill, they have size, and a lot of guys I would love to see come in a trade.

Only question is if he would waive to go there.
So would they like a package of Marner and Mo? That’s a lot of offense going their way…….

That very likely could be what separates him from being in the HOF or not.
He’s had success on the international stage, doubt he needs a Stanley Cup to make the HOF, but it sure would help…….

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

The PIT and COL deals are the only ones I think is realistic are here and it depends how much is retained. I'd want nothing to do with Girard.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

I'm willing to bet Tavares would produce 90 points on Matthews wing. Tavares has always been more of a cycle guy I'm pretty sure. Marner and Nylander are not cycle guys. Marner is known to be a one and done guy.

Reactions: aingefan

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

As I revisit this I think we're saying the same thing - JT would have value with significant retention. I am proposing someone else retain, you're proposing Toronto retain.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly i'm not agree with this for me can still have an impact at 35-36-37 like what hainsey couple of year ago. His biggest strenght is hockey IQ, understand just so well ehats happening around him and thats why i think he can still give good hockey.

For me leafs need to add 2 d and they need a d whos able to bring offensive outside of rielly and this guy its certainly not Parayko so if you spend 6.5M on him it will be pretty hard. For me Parayko is a worst D than what Muzzin was and even with Muzzin, it was not enough.

If marner is moving, its to drastically improving leafs Dboth side of the ice. I will give you an exemple and the chance marner accept to open his NMC for this team is pretty low but for me for a guy like marner, its a player like Werenski by exemple i would target for a top 10 pts producer in NHL. I would not target a guy like Parayko and one of more inconsistent goalie who could finish the next year as backup
Maybe bc of TJ, someone who is also relied on IQ to defend.
To me Parayko is the first Dman, there will be another one or two being added to the roster.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
As I revisit this I think we're saying the same thing - JT would have value with significant retention. I am proposing someone else retain, you're proposing Toronto retain.

I never said Toronto retains. I said retention should be less expensive because it doesn't involve actual money. The retention cost can be paid by either team depending on the return.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Jamie Oleksiak
To Seattle: John Tavares

Even though Oleksiak is a lefty, he can play the right side effectively. Rielly - Oleksiak would be a fine second pair. Oleksiak also helps on PK unit 1.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
To Toronto: Jamie Oleksiak
To Seattle: John Tavares

Even though Oleksiak is a lefty, he can play the right side effectively. Rielly - Oleksiak would be a fine second pair. Oleksiak also helps on PK unit 1.
I don’t think there’s a D man that can cover for Mo’s defensive ineptitude at this point in his career……..

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I never said Toronto retains. I said retention should be less expensive because it doesn't involve actual money. The retention cost can be paid by either team depending on the return.
You think all those teams are paying that price and also paying a team a 2nd or 1st to retain?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Got to give due to Bill Zito... rookie GM, comes in and acquired Bennett, Tkatchuk, Reinhart, Montour and signs Verhaeghe.

Meanwhile, you have Dubas shopping thrift store, looking for a diamond in the rough all the time and then paying out the behind for mostly washed up rentals.
Zito actually is an alpha with confidence where as Dubas wants to show he is as smart if not smarter than everyone else.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad