GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Florida needs to shed cap space, Woll for Knight straight up? Who says no?

Sign Driedger in free agency.

Knight - Driedger - Hildeby. I could roll with that.
Leafs should say no, Woll is one of the best young goalies in the entire NHL and he looks like a player who plays bigger in the playoffs.

Additionally, anyone who knows Woll always indicates he's the hardest working player they know.

Next to Matthews, he could be the next most important player to keep on this team.

He just needs to stay healthy but that last play could injury any goalie, especially one that didn't have alot of games in leading up to that game.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This past season 5vs5:
Ehlers had 20 goals and 17 primary assists in 1073
Marner had 16 goals and 19 primary assists in 1006 mins

One plays with much better linemates than the other.
Ehlers is a very streaky player. He would go on a 12 games run where he plays like McD follow by 15 games of Calle level.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Is Marner extended for Sissons + Askarov + 1st a crazy ask? 100 point 2-way winger for a bottom 6 forward, a blue chip goalie prospect, and a first?

Nashville’s core is older. I don’t know if they want to wait for Askarov to be ready to takeover for Saros. They already have an elite goalie in his prime and they have an opportunity to add a 100 point 2-way winger in his prime.

This is definitely a high risk-high upside move for the Leafs and they need to use the cap space wisely.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
i' m agree but

but colorado having majar, toews, girard involve in the offensive game

Emonton Bouchard, Nurse, ekholm involve
Florida having ekblad, montout, forsling involve
NYR fox, Miller and

toronto i dont know if its about keefe system or about the d group but leafs D last couple of season was struggling to create thing offensively and watch the team who still alive, d are constantly involve in the offensive game. If d are not involved, its become harder to create ypurself space. Its a part of the game need to be better
While I agree that I would like to see more offense from the D, the fab 4 had no problems with offense in the regular season under Keefes system, every year, and every year they are unable to keep their individual regular season pts pace going when the playoffs start, when things get tougher and tighter. Its just how it is and why we end up in the same spot every year. We cant continue to have all 4 underachieve anymore. imo

It's not that I disagree with what you are saying, it is just that I have different priorities.

I would like a better goalie (healthier, anyway) and I would like a better 3LC (younger, faster, more defensive) the year after next.

I just think we need to prioritize building our D if we are ever going to win. I guess on Tavares I also see him moving to the wing, but I do think he is worth keeping at the right (low) price...as in are we doing much better on the trade or UFA market for top nine winger for under $3M? I am loyal to him and think we need to treat our captains well. He is a "A" leader and not "the" leader is probably what I meant to say.

If you are spending money and assets on C and G, how are YOU building the D? We have only Niemela in the pipeline and he is mid-ceiling at best, no?
I dont disagree, I just am wary of counting on Woll to be the #1

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I proposed the following on the Nashville board…seemed to go over pretty well. 😁

Marner (extended)
Robertson
Liljegren

For

Novak
Tomasino
L’Heureux
Fabbro/Schenn
Saros (extended)

I think Pred fans would prefer to swap L’Heureux out with another prospect or a 1st.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I proposed the following on the Nashville board…seemed to go over pretty well. 😁

Marner (extended)
Robertson
Liljegren

For

Novak
Tomasino
L’Heureux
Fabbro/Schenn
Saros (extended)

I think Pred fans would prefer to swap L’Heureux out with another prospect or a 1st.
This would be a fair return if you value Saros. I think acquiring him as the centerpiece of a Marner deal and extending him is a fireable offense but I know people value him.

Leafs should, and will, stay far away from Novak. The definition of soft skill. His offensive breakout has been pretty good but he had no points in 6 playoff games this year. I'd imagine they target McCarron or Smith who are both signed for 2 seasons at 1M and fill a bottom 6 role on a Berube team.

Fabbro/Tomasino and Liljegren/Robertson cancel each other out.

ZLH, Saros, roster player for Marner would be fine.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
While I agree that I would like to see more offense from the D, the fab 4 had no problems with offense in the regular season under Keefes system, every year, and every year they are unable to keep their individual regular season pts pace going when the playoffs start, when things get tougher and tighter. Its just how it is and why we end up in the same spot every year. We cant continue to have all 4 underachieve anymore. imo

i think just with coaching change, we can see an impact there. I saw 2 thing under keefe

1- leafs didn't really forechecking, they was playing to dont make mistake and get caught out of position in neutral zone but at the same time, opposite was pratically never under pressure.

2- D are not involve in the offensive, maybe its because he never really have the D for this but who know?

Berube style is an agressive one, so i expect to see leafs more agressive on forecheck and probably provoking mistake in the offensive end... but at the same time giving more opportunity in the defenside end your missing your play. Will be interesting to follow

and for sure special team was a nightmare under keefe in playoff, can't be worst. They need to find way to send puck to the net

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
That was the crazy part to me.

How does that happen come playoffs. Unacceptable.
How does the coach not get changed last year... ? makes no sense. I don't care how good of a season record is. These stats are putrid. I'm not sure why teams are interested in Keefe. Woodcroft was fired even after Edmonton went to round 3 and round 2. Shows the heightened expectations of Edmontons GM and their captain.

Reactions: Burnie97 and Kurtz

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
That type of deal makes more sense than Marner for Saros.

Another option when it comes to JT is Columbus. JT (30% retention) for Johnson. I would then use the extra cap space to sign Wennberg for 3C.
Why would JT waive to go to Columbus? He wants to win a Cup soon, and Columbus is too far away for that to happen.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Why would JT waive to go to Columbus? He wants to win a Cup soon, and Columbus is too far away for that to happen.
Realistically Columbus has basically the same chances as us winning the cup.

If we’re looking at contenders, I don’t think Toronto would deal with Boston but maybe Carolina could be a destination. Tavares for Kotkaniemi straight up.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

If we’re looking at contenders, I don’t think Toronto would deal with Boston but maybe Carolina could be a destination. Tavares for Kotkaniemi straight up.

why toronto shouls want a even worst contract than jt?

Reactions: Kurtz

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

But the other thing definitely affecting his decision would be his family, especially his 3 young children.

Reactions: TMLAM34

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
How does the coach not get changed last year... ? makes no sense. I don't care how good of a season record is. These stats are putrid. I'm not sure why teams are interested in Keefe. Woodcroft was fired even after Edmonton went to round 3 and round 2. Shows the heightened expectations of Edmontons GM and their captain.

when woodcroft had been fired, Edmonton was in road to miss the playoff without a major change.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
For the love of God, no more trade clauses going forward………

Don't really think that's an option. Agents and players have figured out GMs aren't willing to lose a player over them.

If anything's moving forward id expect to see more bottom six/pairing guys start to get them more often

Reactions: leafsfan5

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Marner (extended)
Robertson
Liljegren

For

Novak
Tomasino
L’Heureux
Fabbro/Schenn
Saros (extended)

I disagree with making Saros (or any goalie) the centerpiece for a Marner trade.

They're too volatile as assets and he needs an extension too. Plus, he plays in a defense-first system and can he translate it into the Leafs setup? Great goalie but not ideal for swapping Marner.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Buds17

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Any deal with NSH should be centered around L'Heureux and Evangelista in my opinion. None of their other players are guaranteed to impact the Leafs long term. If they want to swap Robertson for Tomasino that's fine but he shouldn't be a piece in a Marner deal given the internal criticism he received this year.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Any deal with NSH should be centered around L'Heureux and Evangelista in my opinion. None of their other players are guaranteed to impact the Leafs long term. If they want to swap Robertson for Tomasino that's fine but he shouldn't be a piece in a Marner deal given the internal criticism he received this year.
Agreed, any deal involving Marner for Saros needs to have L’Heureux involved as well.

I suggested Marner for Saros, L’Heureux and Lauzon the other day. I think I would be fine with that return. We’d also free up 3 million in that deal which is in itself is a win.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Agreed, any deal involving Marner for Saros needs to have L’Heureux involved as well.

I suggested Marner for Saros, L’Heureux and Lauzon the other day. I think I would be fine with that return.
The issue I have with that deal is Saros is going to get overpaid into retirement. ZLH could top out as a 30 point 3LW and Lauzon is redundant with Benoit. There’s a good chance in 2 years you look back and the only player you still have from the Marner deal is ZLH playing 3LW.

On that note I was the first one to bring up ZLH on this board and I want him in any deal, I just don’t want him to be the only long-term piece.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

If we built well on F and D, then goaltending would be a question mark ranging from a strength to a problem. We would have to allocate a couple of million to a decent back up.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The issue I have with that deal is Saros is going to get overpaid into retirement. ZLH could top out as a 30 point 3LW and Lauzon is redundant with Benoit. There’s a good chance in 2 years you look back and the only player you still have from the Marner deal is ZLH playing 3LW.

On that note I was the first one to bring up ZLH on this board and I want him in any deal, I just don’t want him to be the only long-term piece.
Molendyk would be another name I’d be interested in from Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad