GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Defensemen and gritty forwards are the two most overpaid types of UFAs.

Holl, Chiarot, list goes on.
Goodrow, Armia, etc.

Can’t do the same with Zadorov, Joshua and a lot of the names on repeat in here.

Hopefully we only do one at most of those mistake contracts and fill more gaps with trades.

Reactions: Antropovsky

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Florida might be amenable to this just because they'd still have Bobrovsky. Best case scenario for Toronto here is that Knight replaces Woll as its top option in goal. The problem then potentially extends to these other options because Driedger (injuries) and Hildeby (no NHL experience) are IMO a bit too much to gamble on right now for even the backup and tertiary role respectively.
Interesting trade proposal, but with the Leafs luck Woll would end up being the next Tukka Rask, which isn’t a Leaf problem, just I’ve seen this all before……….

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Yes because it means we are going to try and run it back again and again and again x8. Dont know about you but Im tired of the same thing over and over and over.
remove 11 M from JT in the offensive and bring it to your D. Its pretty of the price of Montour and tanev

Just put rielly-tanev
MccaBe-Montour
Benoit---??

and just removing jt from offensive. Its not the same thing and you've got the best d group leafs had last 20

What leafs need is to rebuild their D who had been leafs weakness last 20 year

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why would the Panthers help the Leafs and for a goalie with a history of injuries. I'd go after Stolarz and run a tandem of Stolarz and Woll with a cheap vet as #3.
Wonder if one of Vancouver’s goalies will be available?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Agreed it is a risk and they have to decide if it is worth the risk over spending assets on a more expensive option like Saros or Markstrom.

I also expect Tre to beef up the D so you might get away with a cheaper option in goal.
If I’m Tre I’m hiring Mr. Miyagi as head of Woll’s physical therapy team…….
1716143468185.jpeg

I like Woll, I just can’t get fully behind him given his injury history. I’m okay with him as a 1-B or a backup but if that’s your starting goaltender heading into next season, we may be in trouble.
Agreed…….

Must have missed that one. Cause I did not see a line driving player in the playoffs, like not even a little bit.
Ha ha, perspective…….

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I like woll a lot but I dont think I would put all my eggs in his injury prone starting role basket.

lol....phew ..though honestly I think Id rather just let him go.

yea were good.:thumbu:
Woll is a risk for us health-wise, but I am not sure what option we have. I would make Woll #1, sign a #2 for reasonable price (Stolarz, Broissant), sign Murray and Jones as #3 and #4 (using LTIR and the Marlies as needed, not worrying about losing one of them to waivers), and Hildeby as somewhere between #2 and #5. It seems like the right play to see if Woll can stay healthy and be our #1. This happening changes the franchise.

As for Tavares, having him at $3M or less is good value especially with a rising cap. If he were a UFA this off-season he would have the best stats of any of those on the market. Add in he is a leader and a Toronto boy and that his stats actually improve in games 5-7 of PO series and I think we are happy to have him as a second line winter or third line centre at that number. IMO

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I feel like he re-signs in Vanouver. Could also see Bosotn interested in him
Bruin’s aren’t paying that kind of scratch for him imo………

DeSmith. He has another year @ 1.8m.
What about the other two?

Personally I think Seattle is the perfect trading partner for the Leafs, they have lots of good pieces, offer them a package of Marner and Rielly and see what they’re willing to give up……..

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Woll is a risk for us health-wise, but I am not sure what option we have. I would make Woll #1, sign a #2 for reasonable price (Stolarz, Broissant), sign Murray and Jones as #3 and #4 (using LTIR and the Marlies as needed, not worrying about losing one of them to waivers), and Hildeby as somewhere between #2 and #5. It seems like the right play to see if Woll can stay healthy and be our #1. This happening changes the franchise.

As for Tavares, having him at $3M or less is good value especially with a rising cap. If he were a UFA this off-season he would have the best stats of any of those on the market. Add in he is a leader and a Toronto boy and that his stats actually improve in games 5-7 of PO series and I think we are happy to have him as a second line winter or third line centre at that number. IMO
Last 3 yrs for Woll he played 26,28,19 games. Not great numbers for a number 1. And as much as I like wht I have seen from Woll, he is still a bit of an unknown...if he can play 50 games is he what we think or hope he is? And are we willing to gamble on it?

As per Tavares...leader? um not in my books he is not. And that doesnt even include his 24 pts in 38 playoff games for the leafs...all while a cool -9. good stuff

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Interesting trade proposal, but with the Leafs luck Woll would end up being the next Tukka Rask, which isn’t a Leaf problem, just I’ve seen this all before……….
Knight not quite being the guy here could be an even greater risk than Woll being the guy elsewhere.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
remove 11 M from JT in the offensive and bring it to your D. Its pretty of the price of Montour and tanev

Just put rielly-tanev
MccaBe-Montour
Benoit---??

and just removing jt from offensive. Its not the same thing and you've got the best d group leafs had last 20

What leafs need is to rebuild their D who had been leafs weakness last 20 year
The D needs work no doubt but the biggest weakness the last bunch of years is our top guys not playing like our top guys once we get to the dance. If our top paid guys had the amount of points that lets say Mcdavid and Drai have 21 & 23 pts in 11 games we would still be playing. This happens every year.

Drai playoff stats carreer 100pts 60 gms
mcdavid 96 pt 60 gms
Mackinnon 114 pt 88gms
Matthews 48pt 55gms
marner 50pt 57gm
Tavares 46pt 62gm
nylander 43 54 gm

So we have 4 top 10 salaries including the top salary in the league coming up and not one of them is better than average in the playoffs and if anything are below average. Not one of our 4 guys has had a big playoff round even one time.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Bruin’s aren’t paying that kind of scratch for him imo………

What about the other two?

Personally I think Seattle is the perfect trading partner for the Leafs, they have lots of good pieces, offer them a package of Marner and Rielly and see what they’re willing to give up……..
Doubt they trade Demko or Silov.

The D needs work no doubt but the biggest weakness the last bunch of years is our top guys not playing like our top guys once we get to the dance. If our top paid guys had the amount of points that lets say Mcdavid and Drai have 21 & 23 pts in 11 games we would still be playing. This happens every year.

mcdavid 96 pt 60 gms
Mackinnon 114 pt 88gms
Matthews 48pt 55gms
marner 50pt 57gm
Tavares 46pt 62gm
nylander 43 54 gm

So we have 4 top 10 salaries including the top salary in the league coming up and not one of them is better than average in the playoffs and if anything are below average. Not one of our 4 guys has had a big playoff round even one time.
Yet some want to pay them to see more. Give me a break. Enough is enough.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
What "makes sense" is different for each person. Some people think you have to get similar talent back. Some people think you can use the free cap space to make up the difference. Others think Marner is what ails the core's culture and needs to be removed.
You don’t trade a Mitch marner to get cap space. Guys like him get traded for the most value you can get. You trade average players for cap space when you can.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
We really should hope Oilers winning bc we all know Drai will head to Boston if he makes himself available.
Bruins got the ONE PIECE that Oilers want and can afford to trade him.
Drai also know Bruins got a better foundation of a team to win than Oilers.
Why’s he going to Boston?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You don’t trade a Mitch marner to get cap space. Guys like him get traded for the most value you can get. You trade average players for cap space when you can.
You trade Marner to move money from F to D and/or G. Be great if Tre can find a GM willing to pay him and send us some nice pieces back.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Last 3 yrs for Woll he played 26,28,19 games. Not great numbers for a number 1. And as much as I like wht I have seen from Woll, he is still a bit of an unknown...if he can play 50 games is he what we think or hope he is? And are we willing to gamble on it?

As per Tavares...leader? um not in my books he is not. And that doesnt even include his 24 pts in 38 playoff games for the leafs...all while a cool -9. good stuff
It's not that I disagree with what you are saying, it is just that I have different priorities.

I would like a better goalie (healthier, anyway) and I would like a better 3LC (younger, faster, more defensive) the year after next.

I just think we need to prioritize building our D if we are ever going to win. I guess on Tavares I also see him moving to the wing, but I do think he is worth keeping at the right (low) price...as in are we doing much better on the trade or UFA market for top nine winger for under $3M? I am loyal to him and think we need to treat our captains well. He is a "A" leader and not "the" leader is probably what I meant to say.

If you are spending money and assets on C and G, how are YOU building the D? We have only Niemela in the pipeline and he is mid-ceiling at best, no?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

mcdavid 96 pt 60 gms
Mackinnon 114 pt 88gms
Matthews 48pt 55gms
marner 50pt 57gm
Tavares 46pt 62gm
nylander 43 54 gm

i' m agree but

but colorado having majar, toews, girard involve in the offensive game

Emonton Bouchard, Nurse, ekholm involve
Florida having ekblad, montout, forsling involve
NYR fox, Miller and

toronto i dont know if its about keefe system or about the d group but leafs D last couple of season was struggling to create thing offensively and watch the team who still alive, d are constantly involve in the offensive game. If d are not involved, its become harder to create ypurself space. Its a part of the game need to be better

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Winning culture, and Bruins got a piece that Oilers will say Yes
so its just your opinion and thats it. lots of teams have winning cultures with prospects that edmonton could use.

You should understand that we’re not in a situation to extract full value in a Marner trade. There are way too many factors involved that can reduce the return.

NMC
1 Year Left
Huge cap hit
Everyone knows we want to move him
according to who? the fans? management may have no intention of trading him at all.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
so its just your opinion and thats it. lots of teams have winning cultures with prospects that edmonton could use.

according to who? the fans? management may have no intention of trading him at all.
Ofcourse it is just my opinion, I never claimed I had any insider knowledge.
Drai and Bruins just seem like a great match, that’s all. Esp since Bruins got cap space, lacks a 1C and got a Veniza goalie to spare.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think Ehlers got to play top line with Schiefele so the chance was there....I could see Ehlers wilting under a guy like Berube though as Kyrou seemed to in that last season.
This past season 5vs5:
Ehlers had 20 goals and 17 primary assists in 1073
Marner had 16 goals and 19 primary assists in 1006 mins

One plays with much better linemates than the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad