GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
That entirely depends how you view Rielly and his contract. If you view it as negative value, which I do, then it would be a good trade.
I don't see how a top 3 d-man is negative value. He get's exposed playing against other teams top players, but not one GM since he's been a leaf has given him another top 3 partner to play with either.

Boosh/Brodie/Schenn/Hainsey/Phanuef?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
last 3 years

1000001484.jpg

1000001485.jpg

Everyone reacting like the guy in purple is the reason of leafs playoff fail. But overal marner is the guy who played top matchup in every series, and was 2nd in pts/ game and easily the foward who help the leafs the most to shutdown top opposite weapon and people think they gonna win the trade by moving marner and hope for a Tkachuk trade. But the reality is the Tkachuk of the trade would probably be Marner.

but maybe the only problem is the guy in green and the only change need to remove the guy in green and his salary cap?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lily is definitely on the way out, Robertson seems a bit more of a question mark. Seems like he's starting to find is niche a bit more with the team, though we know he wasnt super happy about limited playing opportunity.

Could make for an intriguing trade package

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
With Tre and Berbube in charge, any and all players we target, there's gonna have to be a blue collar side to that player. Even the skill guys we target, will have those intangibles.

I dont see players like Robertson and Lilegren sticking around anymore tbh.
I think if you can't forecheck or play hard and disrupt play in the o-zone and d-zone then chances are you won't be on the team. It's a pretty good bet Robertson/Lillypad are gone.

Gone are the days of smaller/skillful forwards on your bottom 6. Toronto is going to have to identify heavier players that can play the game still for the 3rd line and 4th line.

Reactions: OVO16

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Not going to happen but be nice. I see Marner heading to preds for Saros+. Leafs going to let Samsonov sign somewhere else.
I have a hard time seeing them move marner for a goalie. It may play out that way but i have a hard time seeing it unless some other fun pieces are coming too.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I don't see how a top 3 d-man is negative value. He get's exposed playing against other teams top players, but not one GM since he's been a leaf has given him another top 3 partner to play with either.

Boosh/Brodie/Schenn/Hainsey/Phanuef?
I should have been more clear. I don’t think Rielly is going to be a 7.5M defenseman for the next 6 seasons.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If they are winning with Saros why does it matter if the other team has a 3 million dollar goalie?

They're not likely to win with Saros, given that the other team will have been able to spend $5m more on the players infront of the goalie than we can.

Good, true #1-style, workhorse goaltending will get you to the playoffs almost every year. But if you're paying a goalie like that what he can command as a proven veteran, you're putting yourself behind the 8-ball as other teams get similar performances come playoff time.

Look at the last few cup winning goalies...

Adin Hill
Darcy Kuemper
Andrei Vasilevsky* They essentially had Kucherov for $0 cap hit.
Andrei Vasilevsky ($3.5m)
Jordan Binnington

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
They're not likely to win with Saros, given that the other team will have been able to spend $5m more on the players infront of the goalie than we can.

Good, true #1-style, workhorse goaltending will get you to the playoffs almost every year. But if you're paying a goalie like that what he can command as a proven veteran, you're putting yourself behind the 8-ball as other teams get similar performances come playoff time.

Look at the last few cup winning goalies...

Adin Hill
Darcy Kuemper
Andrei Vasilevsky* They essentially had Kucherov for $0 cap hit.
Andrei Vasilevsky ($3.5m)
Jordan Binnington

Bobrovsky, price, Holtby, Crawford, fleury/Murray quick, thomas...

Can you win with an average goalie who step up under pressure yes but can you have a d group who can step up when matter ? yes.

they exist couple of different way to have succes, not only 1

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
An interesting name that was brought up when talking to a Florida fan, Spencer Knight. Sounds like Florida fans are all for bringing Stolarz back to tandem with Bob and with a couple other pending UFA’s, they wouldn’t mind trading Knight to clear cap space.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Bobrovsky, price, Holtby, Crawford, fleury/Murray quick, thomas...

Can you win with an average goalie who step up under pressure yes but can you have a d group who can step up when matter ? yes.

they exist couple of different way to have succes, not only 1

How many rings does Bob or Price have? How many of these have won in the last 10 years? 3 of them, and 2 of those were 9 and 10 years ago.

It's a very basic problem -- to win a cup you need to beat 4 good teams. Guaranteed, at least one of them, if not multiple, is going to have a goalie that does what your $8m goalie does, for less than half of the cap hit.

Heck, Tampa ran into that problem last year when we finally beat them. Sammy was basically as good as Vasi, and the Leafs had $6m more spent on their group infront of him.

Even this year, had Toronto started Joe Woll from the beginning, they might have gotten through. Had their star players not been injured and sick, they probably would have gotten through. Had they had a powerplay which performed to half of their capability, they probably would have gotten through, and it's not like Swayman was making ridiculous saves. Joseph Woll was every bit a good as him when he played.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lily is definitely on the way out, Robertson seems a bit more of a question mark. Seems like he's starting to find is niche a bit more with the team, though we know he wasnt super happy about limited playing opportunity.

Could make for an intriguing trade package

I think Robertson posting 0 points in the post-season hurt a bit.

I posted a massive NSH/TOR trade but taking Marner, Saros and picks out of the equation, what about a simple change of scenery 2 for 2 swap?

Liljegren and Roberson for Tomasino and Fabbro

I feel like with where the contracts end up, it's going to basically be dollar for dollar.

Reactions: Menzinger

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Really don’t like that STL trade.
From Blues stand point or ours?
Blues might take it as salary is about the same and MM fits their retool age better.
Parayko and Binnington still got a few good years left in them, esp with 4 Nations coming, Binnington will probably play his best as he knows it is his job to lose for Team Canada #1.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
He’s a very good D man. Certainly a #1.

————————

I’m still in the camp of moving Marner for forwards plus pick and signing D men. There are quite a few D men available this year.

Marner for Wright + 1st
Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok for Crouse, McBain + 1st.

You could end up with Lindstrom or Silayev with the Utah pick or Dickinson with the Seattle pick.
I think that Seattle deal is my wet dream.
I’m fine with some salary back in the deal so long as that part is soft/favourable.

I don’t mind the second deal either, but I’d look to get one of their young D mixed in; they have a Russian kid in the A who can fly.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I should have been more clear. I don’t think Rielly is going to be a 7.5M defenseman for the next 6 seasons.
Toronto probably has 5-6 years left before having to rebuild again. Any d-man they sign this July 1st is going to be 5-6 years for decent coin will be in the same boat as Rielly in 4-5 years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That entirely depends how you view Rielly and his contract. If you view it as negative value, which I do, then it would be a good trade.

It's not like every Leafs player who is no longer a good fit in Toronto suddenly has "negative value." It's just that they've become a poor fit here, and it's time to move on.

If Rielly went to a team like Boston for example and was the LHD junior partner with Charlie McAvoy, I'm sure he'd be more or less fine in that sheltered role beside a superior number one defenseman. On the Leafs, maybe we want to renovate the entire Top 4 using Rielly and Brodie's money for something better on the top pair.

Reactions: Americanadian

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I mentioned them but they don't have room for him unless Oleksiak is coming back.

I would sign up for Rielly for Oleksiak in a heartbeat.

It seems people on this board are finally coming to that realization.
how about Borgen and one of McCann or Tanev for Rielly?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto probably has 5-6 years left before having to rebuild again. Any d-man they sign this July 1st is going to be 5-6 years for decent coin will be in the same boat as Rielly in 4-5 years.

Depending on what happens with Matthews, the next round of free agency and how guys like Cowan, Knies, Minten and friends progress we don't need a rebuild that soon. The rate of decline is also relative to teams around you as well.

Reactions: Americanadian

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
There is a good chance that the team that wins the Cup this season isn't going to have the traditional elite number one defenseman that others have traditionally had. Dallas doesn't, Florida doesn't, Edmonton doesn't - then it's a question of whether Fox or Hughes fall into that category (hard to argue against Hughes). At least one or two of the guys on potential Cup winners are likely going to be Leafs next season (Montour, Zadorov and Tanev).
Heiskenen is one of the top young defensemen in the world, he's a major reason Dallas is as good as they are

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad