GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Jaylen Chatfield is getting a lot of love from the Canes camp. UFA RHD as well and there were comments he’s better than Brett Pesce.

He was so brutal to watch in the Canadian division. Quite a turnaround.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He was so brutal to watch in the Canadian division. Quite a turnaround.

Watching Chatfield in the NYR/CAR series and he's not much of a factor at all to be honest.

Like you could replace Timmins and Chatfield on Carolina's roster and no difference.

Reactions: Americanadian

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think he'd be a sneaky good addition. I don't know if he's completely unknown but he'll fly under a lot of radars if he makes it to July 1st.

I think if pro scouting is confident he’s a better Brett Pesce it would be great to sign him to a reasonable deal and then be able to spend the big UFA D dollars on a Montour. Or whatever other big fish. We need that kind of efficiency. Hopefully Carolina gets knocked out soon and he’s not building up his value even more…

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Watching Chatfield in the NYR/CAR series and he's not much of a factor at all to be honest.

Like you could replace Timmins and Chatfield on Carolina's roster and no difference.

I think it’s the “not much of a factor” that you’re looking for in a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman. Timmins would be good if he stood out less.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think if pro scouting is confident he’s a better Brett Pesce it would be great to sign him to a reasonable deal
What does that look like? AFP has him at 2.8Mx3 which would be a steal for a 20 minute/night RD. The issue is he's been a 15 minute/night RD for the entire season until the playoffs.

Last edited:

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Man quit your whining. You been adamant and providing feedback like pure trash isore valuable than mitch
Marner is a winger, one year left! He’s not getting three 1st round pick definition or more like eichel whose a Center & didn’t have 1 year left

The Matthew T deal is a rarity which doesn’t happen. Some of you are going to be in for rude awakening

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Who asked you? This isn't the Wild board
He seems to get lost a lot

Marner is a winger, one year left! He’s not getting three 1st round pick definition or more like eichel whose a Center & didn’t have 1 year left

The Matthew T deal is a rarity which doesn’t happen. Some of you are going to be in for rude awakening
This isn't the Wild board so **** off

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Thinking about a potential JT trade and I can't really figure out why his potential return should be any less than what Philadelphia got for Claude Giroux.

He's still very productive. His actual salary next season is less than $1M, so 3rd team retention shouldn't be much of an issue. If he gives the leafs 3-4 teams, then I think we might all be pleasantly surprised by the return.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
That's what would be realistic value, but then you look outside your division for a like trade
I would have no problem trading them, unless the new coach coming in saw something he liked in Robertson. As for Lily, he’s not good/consistent enough to be a top 4, and he’s just not big/strong enough to play in the bottom 6.

Reactions: ACC1224

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Thinking about a potential JT trade and I can't really figure out why his potential return should be any less than what Philadelphia got for Claude Giroux.

He's still very productive. His actual salary next season is less than $1M, so 3rd team retention shouldn't be much of an issue. If he gives the leafs 3-4 teams, then I think we might all be pleasantly surprised by the return.
Giroux was @ 8.2 prorated from the deadline on when he returned the 1st, and Tippett. Plus, Philly was rebuilding/retooling. It's a fair bit different than JT and his contract now. Also, his willingness to be traded and the other teams' knowledge of this may not help either.

Honestly, though, clearing $4 or even $5m is an asset in itself, so if they manage that, then well done. But my gut says they will not have the balls even to ask him.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Giroux was @ 8.2 prorated from the deadline on when he returned the 1st, and Tippett. Plus, Philly was rebuilding/retooling. It's a fair bit different than JT and his contract now. Also, his willingness to be traded and the other teams' knowledge of this may not help either.

Honestly, though, clearing $4 or even $5m is an asset in itself, so if they manage that, then well done. But my gut says they will not have the balls even to ask him.
Obviously, this team is better without JT @ $11M next year, I am not suggesting otherwise.

However, I don't see him being moved. He is the captain and took a discount to be here. He had produced and been a good captain and citizen of the organization. If he were to be a UFA this off-season he has the best stats of any FA center on the market. He has not been terrible, just not worth his cap hit.

I think the play this off-season would be

(1) Extend him on July 1st for 3 x $3M contract which makes us all a bit happier with him.

(2) He voluntarily trades jersey letters with AM34 and supports this as Matthew's team.

(3) Trade Marner. He gets us the better return and his removal might be an addition culturally, which I don't believe is the case with JT. With MM out we have a lot of cap space and I am not sure there enough free agents out there to spend that plus JT saving on.

With these three moves we can better and change the team culture quickly. Let's say we take the SN-proposed deal of Marner for Wright and Larsson. That gives us those two assets plus $6M in space. Wright gives us another C and allows us to move Kampf and Jarnkrok, freeing up another $3M in space. Let's say we sign Roy and a Backup/1B goalie with that space. Maybe we get Tsyplakov too...especially if he knows we have top RW spot open.

Knies Matthews Domi
Bertuzzi Tavares Tsyplakov
Robertson Wright Nylander
McMann Holmberg Dewar
Cowan

Rielly Roy
McCabe Larsson
Benoit Liljegren
Lyubushkin

Woll
Broissant
Jones

The following year we integrate Cowan in more, add Minten, Grebenkin takes Tsyplakov's spot. We have Niemela and maybe Webber. Hildeby....and we have $8M in JT savings plus the cap going up by another $5M. How would you add those kids and $13M in cap space to this roster (Woll and Knies need to be renewed out of that).

I think we view this as a two year retool and and we keep JT.

Reactions: meefer and ToneDog

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Obviously, this team is better without JT @ $11M next year, I am not suggesting otherwise.

However, I don't see him being moved. He is the captain and took a discount to be here. He had produced and been a good captain and citizen of the organization. If he were to be a UFA this off-season he has the best stats of any FA center on the market. He has not been terrible, just not worth his cap hit.

I think the play this off-season would be

(1) Extend him on July 1st for 3 x $3M contract which makes us all a bit happier with him.
If Tavares refuses to waive why would they offer him 3M? If he makes it clear he’s not playing anywhere else they should be offering him league minimum. They’ve already paid him 77M by the time his contract is up. They should offer him league minimum at whatever term makes sense for both.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't think we need to get rid of both Tavares and Marner this offseason

Even if you retain a couple of Mill on one guy you still have plenty of money to remake the team

We still have decisions to make on Liljegren, Robertson, Dewar, Jarnkrok, Bertuzzi, Domi, Lyubushkin, Kampf
There's a ton of money there to

I'm also not sure I want management to have 30M in cap space one offseason either, I doubt that goes well

Reactions: conFABulator

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If Tavares refuses to waive why would they offer him 3M? If he makes it clear he’s not playing anywhere else they should be offering him league minimum. They’ve already paid him 77M by the time his contract is up. They should offer him league minimum at whatever term makes sense for both.
Because they don't ask him to waive. They offer the captain an extension. If he refuses to give us a deep hometown discount, then we go the ask him to waive route.

Sure. League minimum, I would love it and he might even accept it...then the PA gets involved.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
So I've been thinking about some RFAs that might get non-tendered or traded that we might be able to pick up cheap like we did with Benoit last year, or Bunting previously. Some of the players are post-hype prospects, and some are guys that put up solid numbers in the AHL but haven't gotten an opportunity.

I've noticed that a lot of prospects have their breakouts much later on, between the ages 24-27 (i.e., close to the ends of their RFA status). Teams are thus forced to make hard decisions (pay or nay) and sometimes cut loose guys that end up breaking out with their new teams.

Examples:

Benoit (breakout at age 24)
Bunting (breakout at age 26)
Verhaege (breakout at age 25)
Bennett (breakout at age 25)
Forsling (breakout at age 25)
Marchment (breakout at age 26)
Zacha (breakout at age 25)
All these guys were either cut loose, not re-signed, or traded for very little.

Upcoming interesting RFAs that teams are going to make decisions on:

Lucas Carlsson, LD
Joseph Veleno, C
Akil Thomas, RW
Adam Boqvist, RD
Boris Katchouk, LW
Juuso Valimaki, LD
Lias Andersson, C
Kole Lind, RW
Jack McBain, C
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G
Phillip Broberg, LD

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Boqvist would be interesting. Powerful shot. Seemed to be on the track to being really good and then it just went sideways

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Is it too much to hope for that with another crazy high pick this year in the draft Anaheim would be willing to give up a young stud or prospect? Would love to trade Marner to Anaheim if they want to accelerate their rebuild and get back a return of any type of combination of MacTavish, or maybe a John Gibson trade where we also get back one of Zellweger, Gauthier, their #3ovr pick, etc.

The money saved gets us some help on D. Boom, call it an off season, lol

Gauthier-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Nylander-Robertson
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
Edmundson-Montour
Benoit-McCabe

Gibson
Woll

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I think it’s the “not much of a factor” that you’re looking for in a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman. Timmins would be good if he stood out less.
Timmins' defense weakness makes Jake Gardiner look like a Norris winner in comparison, with less than 1/2 his ability to carry the puck too

Eichel needed a surgery that could have retired him when he was traded.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
So I've been thinking about some RFAs that might get non-tendered or traded that we might be able to pick up cheap like we did with Benoit last year, or Bunting previously. Some of the players are post-hype prospects, and some are guys that put up solid numbers in the AHL but haven't gotten an opportunity.

I've noticed that a lot of prospects have their breakouts much later on, between the ages 24-27 (i.e., close to the ends of their RFA status). Teams are thus forced to make hard decisions (pay or nay) and sometimes cut loose guys that end up breaking out with their new teams.

Examples:

Benoit (breakout at age 24)
Bunting (breakout at age 26)
Verhaege (breakout at age 25)
Bennett (breakout at age 25)
Forsling (breakout at age 25)
Marchment (breakout at age 26)
Zacha (breakout at age 25)
All these guys were either cut loose, not re-signed, or traded for very little.

Upcoming interesting RFAs that teams are going to make decisions on:

Lucas Carlsson, LD
Joseph Veleno, C
Akil Thomas, RW
Adam Boqvist, RD
Boris Katchouk, LW
Juuso Valimaki, LD
Lias Andersson, C
Kole Lind, RW
Jack McBain, C
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G
Phillip Broberg, LD

I'd be all over Jack McBain and Joe Veleno, and I'd look into Akil Thomas.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

JT at a cap hit of $5.5M, with an actual salary of $450K while a 3rd team only has to retain imaginary dollars. That's a win-win for every side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad