GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don’t dislike the player at all, but I can definitely understand hesitancy to give him a big deal. He’d never produced like did last year before, didn’t this year and may never again. I would agree though that acquiring top 4D through FA isn’t going to come cheap either way.

I wouldn't expect a 70 point defenseman. I'd expect the one that plays 23+ minutes a game, gives the team some good offensive + skating skill from the back end and typically shows up in big games.

But if you're hesitant to sign him, everyone else could be in the same boat.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I wouldn't expect a 70 point defenseman. I'd expect the one that plays 23+ minutes a game, gives the team some good offensive + skating skill from the back end and typically shows up in big games.

I agree with all that, I think it’s just important he’s paid and expectations are set commensurate with the fact he’s probably about a 40 point defenseman.

I think it’s entirely arguable he should not be paid more than Forsling. Obviously I understand if he comes here he’s coming as a UFA and will have many suitors so he will cost more obviously, but I am speaking here in the sense of an apples to apples comparison

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShape

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
They should have signed Montour a couple years ago when Florida picked him up. The team (core) hasn't shown enough at this point to be gambling on long term 30+ contracts to see if it works.

I'd rather they trade for someone like Pionk, similar player, younger, one year left on his contract

Reactions: aingefan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They should have signed Montour a couple years ago when Florida picked him up. The team (core) hasn't shown enough at this point to be gambling on long term 30+ contracts to see if it works.

I'd rather they trade for someone like Pionk, similar player, younger, one year left on his contract

The price to acquire a player like Pionk wouldn't be simple to do and then extended him probably puts him around what Montour might get as well, and he'll be 30 years old at the time of his next extension... so you're paying assets to acquire someone similar but 1 year younger.

Reactions: Americanadian

weems

Jul 3, 2008
DeMelo feels like a nice upgrade to Lybushkin.
Everytime I watch him play, very reliable, decent mobility, good first pass.
I think I would actually prefer signing him over Tanev, considering they're similar players but DeMelo a few years younger.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner (extended at 11.5M per for 8 years) for Jones (1.5M retained - 8M per for 6 years) + Toronto's 2025 1st rd. Pick + Chicago's 2024 2nd rd. Pick

Sign Montour at 7.5M per for 7 years.

Rielly - Jones
McCabe - Montour
Benoit - Liljegren
ex. Edmundson

They save 3.5M going from Marner to Jones, which covers half of Montour's salary. For years they have been top heavy at forward, this would help build a formidable defensive unit. With new risk of missing the playoffs because of the departing Marner, they pull in their own 1st to limit the potential damage.

Jones may be the best defenseman available in trade and Montour the best one from the free agent market. That would be a series of moves that could help transition the Leafs in a different direction come playoff time.
I'd drive the entire Marner clan to the airport and even let Paul ride shotgun.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I'm not a Montour fan, he is another Tyson Barrie only he would cost more money. The D I am interested in are Pesce, Zadorov and Tanev. The Leafs need more mobility and puck moving on defense too, but that will have to come through trade or the draft.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not a Montour fan, he is another Tyson Barrie only he would cost more money. The D I am interested in are Pesce, Zadorov and Tanev. The Leafs need more mobility and puck moving on defense too, but that will have to come through trade or the draft.

Yeah, comparing Montour to Barrie, but let's no compare Pesce, Zadorov and Tanev to their worst counterparts or even get into the 16M+ it would take to get them all locked up.

Reactions: Skullz

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
DeMelo feels like a nice upgrade to Lybushkin.
Everytime I watch him play, very reliable, decent mobility, good first pass.
I think I would actually prefer signing him over Tanev, considering they're similar players but DeMelo a few years younger.
I agree. Tanev’s a tad better moving the puck but they're basically carbon copies of each other. Take it for what it's worth, but a poster on here works with his mother, claims the family is firmly settled in Winnipeg and DeMelo is a lock to re-sign. We shall see.

Reactions: weems

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Tre signed Kampf to that contract!
Tre came in so late, he said that he didn't want to mess with whats been working or the chemistry and pretty much made a pitch to try and being everyone back that dubas brought in

He even tried to bring back kerfoot, even though we all know that's not his type of player at all

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
There is a reason Florida isn't giving him the money he wants.
Well, they picked Forsling because he's two years younger, which is understandable.

I won't doubt it's a fair bit of recency bias with him, but I've been quite impressed watching Montour the last two years. Having said that, it would be nice if the hypothetical AAV didn't go above $6m.

But he ticks a lot of the boxes for the Leafs.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Montour
DeMelo
Pesce
Roy

I would be ecstatic to add 2 of them.

Rielly-Roy/Pesce/Montour
McCabe-DeMelo/Roy
Benoit-Liljegren
Edmundson-Timmins

I’m good with this, with the ideals being Roy and DeMelo.

Last edited:
Reactions: meefer

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well, they picked Forsling because he's two years younger, which is understandable.

I won't doubt it's a fair bit of recency bias with him, but I've been quite impressed watching Montour the last two years. Having said that, it would be nice if the hypothetical AAV didn't go above $6m.

But he ticks a lot of the boxes for the Leafs.
Why Montour over Roy?

Scion

May 25, 2012
Yeah, comparing Montour to Barrie, but let's no compare Pesce, Zadorov and Tanev to their worst counterparts or even get into the 16M+ it would take to get them all locked up.
Barrie is not his worst comparable, in fact Barrie had done more offensively at the same age. They are both smaller defenceman that create offense by transporting the puck and shooting a high volume. Neither are good defensively, and both take shots away from better players.

I think people overvalue Montour because he had 70 points last year and plays in a system that compliments his game. On the Toronto Maple Leafs he is a bottom pairing guy, IMO. I've also heard he is a guy that fights for every penny so no thanks.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Also Florida did not choose Forsling over Montour because he is 2 years younger, they chose Forsling because he is their best defenceman and one of the best defensive defencemen in the league. It's criminal how underrated he is, and overrated Montour is. All because of points!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad